Welcome Mesut Ozil! The Gunners nation salute you!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by charlie15, Sep 2, 2013.

1. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I think South Africa had a great, expensive World Cup (it's a shame about the white elephants though). I thought Japan and South Korea did as well.I thought Brazil's was relatively scandal free.... I don't know. I think we could have done better than Qatar and Russia.

Super Llama repped this.
  2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They evicted a bunch of people around Cape Town ahead of the World Cup in South Africa.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/apr/01/south-africa-world-cup-blikkiesdorp

Brazil World Cup was literally nothing but scandals and had a lot of protests due to the public money and rising costs of the tournament. I think the Brazilian government went into a major hole to accomodate that tournament. And there are stadiums that were built that were no longer of use after the tournament.

Japan and South Korea were probably the last scandal-free world cup, but we started learning about FIFA scandals after the 2006 vote so we can assume that was not clean either.

And whats crazy, like @Super Llama said, none of this touching the use of slaves to host a massive event in a country smaller than Rhode Island.

I think the "White Elephants" are why these tournaments are absolute shitters.

danielh, Super Llama and Kanuuuu repped this.
  3. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Japan and South Korea sure, South Africa maybe, Brazil there was literally an entire protest movement around the World Cup and the Olympics because of the sheer profligacy of it all.

It is interesting how excited everyone--including me!--got about bribery in corruption in the bidding process when it came to Qatar and Russia. Obviously their bids were shit, but the reaction was as if this was some aberration from the way FIFA has always worked, and that no Western country had ever thought of bribery before.

For the World Cup it's a bit different, but for a while I've thought the best way to do the Olympics would be to just have a permanent host site, like Geneva or something. Take the main gravy train aspect out of the association and you'd lose most of the gross losers and hangers-on

Anyways getting way off topic now, apologies.

danielh and DaPrince84 repped this.
  4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fewer people are tortured and executed by the state in Syria and Myanmar than in one of the actual co-hosts? Co-hosts of what????????

Assad's actions have led to the deaths of a few hundred thousand people, and led to millions of refugees. And as bad as Assad is, the Rohingya in Myanmar might have it worse than any other ethnic group in the world.

maskito repped this.
  5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #1505 casoccerdad47, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    I think he was referring to Russia and Qatar and the cohost of the 2026 World Cup. I believe he is referring to the fact the the US is one of only a handful of countries that still enforces a death penalty. In fact neither Russia or Qatar enforces a death penalty. What his argument fails to take into account is the extrajudicial execution of political opponents and former spies by Russia.

6. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I hear what you all are saying about Brazil, but protests do not equal scandals. Presumed wastefulness is not a scandal either. With that said, I do remember the hoopla about it.

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    what about an actual corruption scandal regarding stadium construction?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-33942279

And this regarding the Brazilian head of football and Jerome Valcke?
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...d-by-brazil-s-ex-football-chief-10298426.html

8. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Obviously I was referring to Canada

Bush, Obama, Reagan, etc, etc, are all telling Assad to hold their beer.

This is incorrect although I thank you for attempting to give me the benefit of the doubt from your perspective. I simply think that the US tortures and murders more people than either the Syrian or Burmese regimes could ever dream to.

And while it's true that capital punishment is part of this, the US does plenty more extrajudicial killing than Russia.

9. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    For whatever reason, I assumed you were talking about a governments actions against its own citizens.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On TV last night, I saw a shot of Ozil in street clothes at the Atleti game in Singapore. He looked reasonably chill and happy. :)

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Imagine how awks it would be if ozils New best mate wanted tickets to some arsenal games?

Super Llama repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw a bit of Ozil playing today. He continues to look happy, enjoying his game, and wanting to play. Which in turn should make us all happy. That's a big part of the battle. Maybe the fact that he got this whole Germany/racism thing off his back will free him up to elevate his game to the next level, which we could really use! Not to mention the potential that Emery and his tactics might get something more from him than Wenger did?

Fifty and Super Llama repped this.
  13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah for not straight away kicking Özil from the NT

14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Funny how the rest of the world seems to love Ozil. He got a nice ovation when he was subbed off today in Singapore.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You’re a fcuking clown

Not surprised your showing your racist views I displayed when u boasted about Germany in ww2

Ban this twat from the forum

16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You obviously still have problems differentiating between rivalry and normal forum talk. No wonder cause generally you seem to get things slower than other users.

It's not racist btw. Or all the other German players including Gündogan, the German public and the German FA are racists too

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jitters, is TSV the Neo-Nazi team in Munich (ala Lazio)?

MisplacedSpainard repped this.
  18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Saying Özil should be kicked from the NT after he poses with an autocrat certainly qualifies you a Nazi lol

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You are a nazi though

U only post to defend German player s

Obsessed with chiming in on anything German, sad act really

20. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Where has the kraut bastard Mueller been at? Haven't seen him since 2016.

Super Llama repped this.
  21. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh yeah! Is this the Wehraboo again?

22. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I understand the confusion and sorry I wasn't more clear, but also there's plenty of extra-judicial killing of American citizens...

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah I am a nazi as I was one of the few defending Özil all the way through WC 2014 for his lethargic playing style. Am I a nazi now for defending a German player or for saying "the damn Turk" should be kicked from the NT? Or both?

Reading through this thread I found it unfortunately very far detached from the state of news in Germany. For instance, that Özil was caught lying in this three parter numerous times. That not one player came out supporting him.

I thought this would be a valid contribution but instead this forum has 2-3 posters just right away throwing the nazi and racist tag around. Is this how you guys want your forum to be run?

24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've said before folks, let's play the ball not the man, and that includes refraining from playing the Nazi card. And with that being said, everyone is on a short leash here. Thanks.

NorthBank repped this.
  25. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I'm not quite sure how to parse this: There is a difference between the political assassination of Boris Nemtsov and the murders of Trevon Martin and Tamir Rice. The Nemtsov assassination was planned, almost certainly at the highest levels of the Russian government, while the Martin and Rice were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Their murders are part of an epidemic driven by fear and hate. They weren't political targets. The government isn't responsible for their murders, we as a society are.