Welcome Marco Asensio

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by halamadrid00, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As i said, the midfielders and some forwards move a lot in JL tactics, from what i've seen at least. Modric wouldn't be a classic 10 in that setup, he'd be the CM.

Here's a good video on how JL uses a lot of midfielders in 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 with Spain. What i'm trying to explain is illustrated around the 1 minute mark:

Shay Z and 9Qui repped this.
  2. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You’re right and I’m not saying he is. I was just addressing the poster who implied that a player’s creativity and playmaking qualities is diminished on the wings which isn’t true.

In the case of Marco, I agree with your assessment.

3. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #878 HZinho, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    In that case you didn’t understand my point or just wanted to make your own, which is fine.

I actually specified in my post and used the term ‘winger’ after (by mistake - I confess) using ‘out wide’. Asensio has been used primarily as a left winger by the club and, to me, he’s OK at best there. I never said Asensio couldn’t play as a playmaking RM (like Ribery and Ronaldinho (and even our own Zidane) did from the left and Silva on the right), I just stated that Asensio is not entirely suited for the wing role (as that is the role the managers have given him over the years).

Also, good that you used the word ‘implied’ and this is to confirm that I did not mean in any way or shape that a players creativity or playmaking abilities diminish if they are out wide. So we can end that ‘discussion’ right there.

4. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Imagine this system if we sold Bale instead of Cristiano, then played Cristiano as the forward with Isco, Modric and Asensio behind him.

No guarantee on that league, but we're rolling to the 14th.

Man that hurts. Very very sad.

Deep Pal and Eddie repped this.
  5. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Looks like this season is going to head south soon enough. Not hitting the panic button yet though, but grossly disappointing till now :(

6. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Flo has massive belief in Asensio and Isco taking a step up, it’s clear that he doesn’t want to waste money without “testing” them. It’s kind of sink or swim for them both, in that if they fail to deliver vs. expectations, then there’s likely to be moves in the transfer market next year. There is a lot riding on certain players delivering consistently or staying fit. It could go one of two ways this season...

7. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that is such a bad thing, however, I feel like we are only a couple of injuries away from a full blown crisis. And it is very likely that Bale, Benz, Marcelo, get injured somewhere along the way, it happens almost every season. Just imaging all of them at once we would have nothing left on the bench.

I'm not really worried about Asensio and Isco, nor do I think we should be counting on them to suddenly become Messi and Cristiano.

I feel like Bale and Benz are being set up to be the fall guys, and maybe to a lesser extent Asensio if he's not able to have a breakthrough season. I just think its unnecessary. Figure out if a guy like Icardi is going to cut it during this whole "testing" phase.

8. Real__Madrid

Real__Madrid Member+

Aug 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I felt like he regressed a lot last season compared to when I saw him play during Espanyol as well as first season in Madrid. He had a lot of "flair" which didn't come out as much last season (well post the Valencia game). I think everyone thought he would've taken a much bigger leap last season.

9. FigoIsGod

FigoIsGod Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Courtois
    Carvajal - Varane - Ramos - Marcelo
    Modric - Casemiro - Kroos
    Isco - Asensio
    Cristiano​

Could’ve been a reality... very very sad indeed.

10. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You cant play high press with Ronaldo.

Deep Pal, Hsain85 and 9Qui repped this.
  11. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure regress is the word. It just seems he's not able to keep his level up for a whole game or a whole season.

What worries me is if Bale, Benzema, and Asension sleep walk through the season thinking they can just turn in on for CL knockouts.

We could find ourselves in another situation come where we are battling for 4th place and looking for Ronaldo to save us against PSG.

12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You can, it's just with a player less.

13. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    At least he always pointed out which players our guys should cover and press :D.

14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Plenty of fun coming with his new teammates. Not even used to all of that. :D

Deep Pal, S1na and Eddie repped this.
  15. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The high press is useless when one players lacks in the pressing.

16. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Benzema is taking that role early in the pre-season.

Vector-SS, Deep Pal, Shay Z and 3 others repped this.
  17. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a lot of faith that Asensio will have a huge season

Yannick Relens and Deep Pal repped this.
  18. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I have such high hopes for Marco this year. It will be his breakout year if he is given consistency.

Ahmadi8, -Reivax- and Deep Pal repped this.
  19. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1032396185762504704 is not a valid tweet id

20. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Me to and I hope he will get the nr.7 shirt. Magical ! He is going to succeed. I can feel it.

21. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Oh Gosh...… I hope they don't do that. Keep the shirt vacant for now.

Anon. and meringues repped this.
  22. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Why ?

23. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I've commented on this in detail on one of these threads but the short answer is that particular shirt is too heavy for most players to carry. Marco is a kid. Imagine being handed the shirt the GOAT wore a few months ago and the most admired contemporary legend of this club before that. Not to mention the pressure media will put on the next great Madrid 7. I would rather we not put Marco under that spotlight just yet. Perhaps...…. he can have it in a few years if he ascends the way we hope he will.

If Florentino's dream does happen next summer...……… we'll take it away from him to give to Neymar. Wouldn't be nice.

24. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Raul got the nr.7 at 19 years as well I think . Well I get your point but I really do believe he is exceptional. He will wear the nr.7 with grace (if he gets it)

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  25. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    #900 Shay Z, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Raul also came up breaking every single record this club had and also was more mature than his years. The media spotlight wasn't as glaring back then as well.

Eventually someone has to wear it. I hope we are lucky enough to have a hand off like last time or the one before that.

I don't want to send a bat signal to a crying, sobbing, @YOUNGSTARS87 but it would have been great to hand it to a certain young monsieur.

Yannick Relens repped this.