Welcome Marco Asensio

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by halamadrid00, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Possession is different from passing the ball around sideways. You can have a lot of the ball and still be direct in the final 3rd. This team was almost scared to lose the ball, whenever they got into tight situations, they would just pass it back.

Deep Pal and Stiliyan repped this.
  2. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    True. And the build up was too slow. You need to pass the ball faster to not let the defence take the desired shape. Then you can open up space.

3. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not sure if you had a chance to watch Spain vs Argentina and Germany just before the WC, they were a very different team to the one today. Fair enough the WC itself is naturally a different animal but Spain tonight reverted to their old selves during Del Bosque’s demise and Hierro did nothing to inspire any shift in play until the very end.

Zidane05 and Stiliyan repped this.
  4. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I watched Spain Argentina but Argentina was very bad. They left so much space. Real Madrid's opponents in the league will probably be more like the Russia's organized defence than that loose back line.

Lyra repped this.
  5. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    But Hierro was not suddenly going to change how they were playing overnight.
    Is not like he is an established coach with a defined philosophy. He was there just to pick up from the mess created by the federation but not to change the team.

6. Iscodisco

Iscodisco Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 14, 2017
    I think we can't expect him to be a starter yet. He doesn't really influence a match and tbh he is producing as much as Lucas or less. He goes missing for 80% of a match. I'm not having a go, i really want him to succeed but it's looking less and less likely.

I still see them both as bench players.

Lyra repped this.
  7. Fuera del Juego

Fuera del Juego Member+

May 10, 2007
    Nevada
    The odd thing about Asensio's performances is just how good he looks off the bench. In a lot of the games he came in, he looked like the best player on the pitch. But then when he started, he never had a stretch looking that strong. Are slightly fresher legs the key to his magic? I don't know, but I hope he learns to be able to do the same when starting.

Iscodisco and Digital repped this.
  8. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hes just not as good as he was hyped.

Lyra repped this.
  9. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I personally think Asensio plays better through the middle behind the striker/s rather than stuck out on the wings, another young one with talent who will grow in time

temesgen and Zidane05 repped this.
  10. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Whether it was changes he made or the players reverting back to old habits or lack of direction in general, I'm not sure, but it was a different team all together.

meringues repped this.
  11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's mostly starting in B Team kind of situations, i don't have the numbers, but we've rarely started him in a A team +Bale or Benzema with him in the lineup instead.

12. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Asensio is going to be a very good player and he'll be around Madrid for a while.

I didn't think he was nearly as bad as everyone thought he was during the first part of the season.

I don't think he'll end up as one of the greats. Just very very good.

13. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is set to be a defining season for Asensio. How much responsibility can he carry?

His first season, we hyped him as Galactico level quality. Since then, the hype has dwindled. Can he rejuvenate and the guy to being an integral part of Real Madrid?

Anon. repped this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He has the talent to be world class players, we've seen it time and time again. The problem was consistency and i hope that will be minimized with more playing time. He's performed really, really well against very big clubs in very big games and when a young player can do that you know there's something there.

I expect big things from him this season.

9Qui and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  15. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except those games have been so few and far between that it may just be coincidental. He scored in all those debut games but then he ran out of competitions to "debut" and the all the momentum faded.

I find him very similar to Morata except shorter, fatter, and slower. Morata had his moments under Carlo and Mou (the B team classico win). He moved to Juve and scored important goals in the CL (semifinal and final). Then he came back and pushed Benzema to the limit, I think any other manager than Zidane would have made the switch.

The difference is I think Morata at the same point in his career was the better player and he couldn't break through.

16. 2Magia2

2Magia2 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Jul 17, 2018
    Talent and consistency wise he might not reach Mbappe level but he definitely can reach Dybala/Hazard level I believe.

Digital repped this.
  17. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think Asensio is substantially more talented than Morata in all material (for their respective positions) respects. In my opinion, Morata was never going to be Madrid #1 CF while Asensio is definitely able to break through and become a genuine star. Not comparable at all IMO. The clubs thinks the same, as they have put a lot of faith in Asensio and never looked like doing that for Morata..

18. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he were that talented you would think there would be clubs offering 100ME and a place in the starting lineup and there would be stories linking him with such a move.

What Asensio has on Isco is size, strength and speed but compared to Bale and Morata he's kinda ordinary physically.

Compared to Isco, Dybala, and Hazard he's not that great of a dribbler either.

Lyra repped this.
  19. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Everyone knows he's not for sale. As i said, he's performed very good against some of the best teams out there (PSG, Barca, Bayern etc) and honestly he's done it pretty consistently vs those level teams, he just needs to step up his consistency vs smaller teams too.

Let's see what he can do with much more minutes.

20. 2Magia2

2Magia2 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Jul 17, 2018
    Thats not how you decide a player is talented or not. Dybala is not been linked to any teams either doesnt mean he is worse than Morata. Nobody heard of vinicius before we signed him...

And I believe there were teams interested in him and the club quickly pointed at his buyout clause..

21. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Umm?

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footba...rpool-make-150m-marco-asensio-bid_329048.html

There were 150 million rumors that we supposedly rejected

22. Iscodisco

Iscodisco Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 14, 2017
    He lacks the consistency. I think those crazy golazos he scored has led us to believe that he was going to be a phenomenal player. I think in reality he is more Solari, Lucas, Pedro kind of level. Great option from the bench.

23. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't see that at the moment.

Anon. repped this.
  24. 2Magia2

2Magia2 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Jul 17, 2018
    I am not saying you or others having doubts are wrong. I just feel his incosistent performance was due to him not having a fixed role and also the team he was part of being poor on most of the ocassions. Just feel he will hit the next gear under Lope.

25. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I see people coming around to the fact that Asensio is not the second coming of Jesus, rather a rich man's Lucas Vazquez, as I said a while ago.

Time and time again. First they ignore you, then laugh at you, then fight you, then you win;)