Welcome, Kei Kamara

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, May 12, 2016.

1. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What constitutes their biggest problem is debatable, defending and scoring are both very big problems, so I think whichever people put first and second, they're both pretty close. Also, seeing how many games we've tied, either putting away just one more of the chances generated, or defending better would have turned many of those ties into wins, so fixing either could make a big difference. For me though, the scoring problem can be fixed with just one guy, while I don't think the defending problem is down to 1 person. I know Watson has been getting a lot of heat, but I don't think it's just him, the team defending as a whole needs to be fixed.

I'm also amused by the dichotomy of opinions on the price paid for Kamara. There's one group that thinks it was a huge price, perhaps too much, while another thinks, in terms of what the assets given up were worth to the Revs, it was next to nothing.

2. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, Mike. But if it's the case that Heaps & Co. are placing their money on "The Best Defense is a Great Offense" then it may be that, at worst, we go down in a blaze of glory. Because, as we were, we were just going down.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, in a nutshell (bolding mine). The lack off off ball runs is astonishing. It's no wonder the revs barely score any goals - it's absurdly easy to defend them. Hopefully KK's arrival will spark some intelligently less predictable movement and creative runs that will ultimately yield more goals.

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The defense is not nearly in as bad shape as you say. The biggest problems for the defense are:

1) the whole formation is having to work (and push up) too hard to generate goals
    2) because of #1, any goal given up often means we are playing from behind, which tends to expose a defense as they take chances to get an equalizer (see goal #4 vs. LA).
    3) our defense has problems when we don't seem capable of scoring. Teams don't fear our offense, so they push forward and throw more into the attack and pressuring our defense.

ToMhIlL and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #80 RevsLiverpool, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Agree with @rkupp regarding the revs defense. Yes, there have been a handful of bad games (3+ goals given up) but overall it actually is not that bad. They've given up 20 goals in 12 games so far but so has RBNY (SS winners), FC Dallas (currently second in the league on points) and Vancouver. Consider also, the defending champs Portland Timbers have given up more goals (22) than the revs. It could be better, it could be worse.

In fact, if we look at goal difference leaguewide, other than LA with their lineup loaded with DPs and Colorado -the best team in the league by points, so far- everyone is within 5 goals +/-.

The problem for the revs is further upfield when promising attacks break down in the final third and chances go unfinished. I expect Kamara will take some of the pressure off the back 4 and d-mids. Get some training time together with his new teammates and once they gel (drink!), everything will be fine.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is really strange about this year is that four of the top teams from last year (2 MLS Cup participants, Shield winners and a talented Seattle team) have basically stunk out the joint for the first 1/3 of the season. Some of them may rebound and claw their way back into contention, but it is unusual to see so many strong teams fall so far so fast.

The question is whether teams like the Revs can take advantage of this and make a move, like Philly and LA, two teams who were bad and mediocre last year. I honestly don't see Columbus recharging, although that could change if they get a significant pickup over the summer.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm mixing threads here, but I know the discussion continues elsewhere about Tierney. I'd be curious to find out his specific numbers on this stat...

9. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be interesting to know.

Also, the stat is a little hard to make sense of -- sometimes a good looking cross goes begging because no one made the right run. If you put in a good cross to a good spot where someone should be but no one is there, it gets recorded as an unsuccessful cross but that doesn't tell you who was at fault -- the crosser or the should-be receiver of the cross. I'm not saying the stat isn't useful -- just saying that a coach is gonna want to look at why the cross was unsuccessful.

BERich and patfan1 repped this.
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think Kamara's at fault and I still am convinced he's exactly the right kind of player for us. I think it perfectly shows how limited our attacking passing game is with Jones gone.

Nguyen just isn't making it happen and Caldwell never seems to try to make an attacking pass. Bunbury is a heads-down player most of the time, Diego seems totally lost and is getting less effective all the time. I think Rowe has the attacking mindset and tries (and sometimes succeeds) to make things happen, but we really have no one consistently capable of making the pass that leads to a quality shot.

Kamara is coming back too deep just to touch the ball every now and then - and maybe to re-introduce himself to his teammates who seem to have forgotten about him.

11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    "The numbers strongly suggest that Kamara is dropping deeper and occupying wider positions with New England. He dribbles almost twice as many times per game, his touches increased by almost 30 percent per 90 minutes and his headed shots dropped by half, despite being involved in more aerial duels."

I think this nails it. As Bob said, our passing out of the back has been a huge weakness, particularly from the CB position.

RevsLiverpool and metoo repped this.
  12. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That problem is by no means limited to Kamara. We've seen it with Davies and to a somewhat lesser extent Agudelo. We have to address it.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, with 3 goals in 2 games, it appears Kamara's scoring is probably the least of our concerns at the moment.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it's in numerous other areas.

15. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article about Kei in today's Globe:
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-revolution/bcSrykYyZpheFbepkmhU5M/story.html

Speculation about the Columbus departure and a bit about his childhood in Sierra Leone. Also this:
    To me, it’s about really just being here and really contribute here and push for the playoff spot. Because I still have this mentality of I want to win the MLS Cup, which I’ve never won. And, obviously, guys in this locker room and the coach are in the same boat. I feel like we’re all in that same boat and trying to fight through the same thing.
    Yes, we're aware that we haven't won the MLS Cup.

Also nice to see FDA's byline on a soccer article.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  16. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    It is great to see Frank get an article in with the Globe.

I think this part from the article is news (or at least confirmation) of the competition to land Kei -

The Revolution outbid at least two other MLS teams, including paying Kamara his full $1 million salary, which will count about $250,000 toward the salary cap, the Crew having bought down the number

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the 2016 Kei cake hasn't been fully baked yet but here are his stats in a revs uniform so far:

He's played 1519 minutes across 17 appearances, registering 5g, 1a. This is good for a goal a little more than every 3 games.
    He's stayed healthy in a season where rev forwards seem to be dropping like flies and is active around the goal - 5th in the league in shots with 94 to-date. He's also ranked 11th in the league in SOG with 33 - good for a 35.1% rate.

I can't wait to see how the rest of the season unfolds before judging the trade but I think it's overall a good thing that he's here and able to keep defenders on their heels more than the forward line did before he arrived.

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having him play with another forward has done wonders for him. He never really was suited for the single forward setup, and you'd think "an experienced coach" (Mariner) like Heaps would have made an adjustment much earlier to get the most out of an asset like him. When he was most successful for Columbus, they had guys whipping in crosses from both wings, like we used to play when we had Ralston on the right and Kamler on the left, and Twellman there to score on every other half-chance he got.

Hopefully this is better late than never and with Agudelo and Nguyen reviving their game lately, better things are on the way.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump

Perhaps contradicting my comments from last fall, I think Kamara needs to be traded ASAP. He's a disaster on the revs right now - seems to be holding up the the rep, "where attacking talent goes to die" under Heaps. Cbus hoodwinked the revs in that trade; it's only becoming more and more clear now just by how much.

Perhaps being called to NT duty will clear his head mentally.

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you're saying, but how much of it is the player, rather than the "system" or lack thereof? Would he be doing better or even thrive under a different coach?

metoo, Doublecard and patfan1 repped this.
  22. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    “It’s funny. I’m looking for crosses and they’re not coming in there enough,” Kamara said. “I count that set piece as a cross for me coming into the box. That’s where I feed off of stuff, just looking for crosses. That was the perfect cross that I want. It was perfect that it came through a set piece, something that we worked on in training and, when it comes to life, it feels good.”

#Keiwantscrosses

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kei Kamara played 90 for Sierra Leone in their 2-1 win over Kenya in an AFCON qualifier on Saturday.

25. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Kai had an assist, and also drew the PK that turned into their other goal.

NFLPatriot repped this.