Welcome, Kei Kamara

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, May 12, 2016.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I would use a more positive word - opportunistic.

If it's reactionary, what are they reacting to? Not scoring enough goals? It's not like they jump on every player who comes available - they actually trade very rarely (although much more this year).
    Well, they haven't been scoring, and that's the bottom line. Agudelo's warmed up lately, but OTOH, he blew chances to improve the result in each of the last two games.

I think Agudelo will come in late when Kamara is starting. I think Heaps will still find minutes for Femi, because he's making things happen (for others) when he's in.
    --------------

I think it's a pretty high price to pay - the competition must have been significant. One silver lining for me - I won't have to get aggravated every time Colorado wins this year!

Kamara's a beast - and a great fit for our attack. If he gets the balls that Agudelo's been getting, we'll be scoring a lot of goals.

2. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Clearly the next thing to happen is a re-brand.

brandenmg 19 points an hour ago

Does this mean the Revs will get a rebrand now?

2010: KC Wizards rebrand as SKC w/ Kei Kamara

2015: Crew rebrand as Crew SC w/ Kei

2017: Hope for Revs?

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how I feel too. I was lukewarm at first but after it sunk in, Kamara is an Agudelo who finished his chances. The revs paid a steep price for his services but they probably had to given proven MLS goal scorers are hard to find. This is a gamble but the revs are clearly desperate for an effective goal scorer. The East is so tight right now, is Kamara is able to turn a few draws into wins puts the revs in first place.

For those who pointed out Kamara has been on 8 teams in 10 years, there are some similarities with Jermaine Jones. JJ had been with 5 different clubs in 10 years prior to coming to the revs. He even had a "red card waiting to happen" rep among some revs fans before he was signed.

Hopefully, Kamara comes in motivated and really to tear it up, even if he is a selfish prick when it comes to taking pk's.

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read somewhere last night that Ives was reporting the Crew had a deal for Kamara with Vancouver, to the point where the players were informed of the trade, only to have it fall apart at the last minute.

In trying to find it, I came across this:
    http://sbisoccer.com/2016/05/kamararevs

5. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that Garber forced Columbus to send him to the Revs (just kidding) :)

Whether or not they play 2 forwards (which is what I want), what I really want is for the right players to be on the field. For me, right now, that means less of our midfielders and more of our players who are seen as strikers. Minus the Jones tenure, the group we have been putting on the field (full of at at best average midfielders + Lee) has not got it done.

I wonder, if this deal had not gone down at the last minute, would the Revs have tried to shop Agudelo for some defense knowing that they had Kamara?

After trading TAM and GAM can we still afford another higher priced player? Does Kouassi count in anyway against the roster this season? That is, does he count as a DP starting in July? Does he count against the cap? If I ever knew, I cannot remember.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard Garber forced Higuan to take the PK... ;)

He counts against the cap in July. I think they can get the DP slot back if they put him on long term IR.

VTSoccerFan repped this.
  7. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Kraft called "Heads!"

8. 6and33areGOD

6and33areGOD Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm totally happy with this move. We desperately needed scoring, and it's well worth what we gave up. We gave up lots of peripheral things: picks, international slots, money. I think we can pretty confidently say that neither draft pick will become as good of a player as Kamara, and after that it's just money and int'l slots that we weren't using.

9. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #35 RevsRule, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Lets see how it works out. It's worth a shot and we have people that can get him the ball. At least we DID SOMETHING. If he comes in with a big attitude then I hope we have an escape clause. If he comes in here happy to be out of cow town and ready to work, then great.

Id love to know if Heaps made a personal, unofficial call to Parky asking about this guy? Could have happened. I'd try it if I was Heaps

If this guy works out, I might even go see a game

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you actually think Burn or Heaps would have been let go? Heaps possibly but Burns was not going anywhere

ToMhIlL repped this.
  12. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Really makes you wonder what other teams were offering, as this makes it sounds like they went back to the Revs after the Vancouver deal fell through. I wonder if they were asking for any Revs players, and the Revs said no, or if they only wanted the cash and international spot from the Revs. I also wonder, if they did have to go back to the Revs after another deal fell through, might the Revs have lessened their offer knowing the Crew were desperate to get rid of him.

Interesting how Vancouver was again involved in a way, in our acquiring a veteran player who was previously on an MLS roster.

13. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Rowe... give them Rowe for nothing :D

On the deal... I like it because

1) Draft picks are worthless
    2) Cash we dont spend unlees your name is Jones and we screwed that one up bigtime
    3) Foreign slots... we don't sign foreign players that actually help so again... worthless

14. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    All of that.

15. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I too like the deal, for the reasons you gave. I do have some concern over how it might affect the team, but seeing as we're currently last when you look at points per game, it's not like we could go down from where we are.

From the perspective of how the Revs build their roster and how likely it was any of those things would get used, the 2nd round draft pick might have been the most valuable thing they gave up.

16. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely. And the fact that they did nothing to bolster the attack in the last transfer opportunity thus helping to create a situation of lack of scoring.

17. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell him to avoid the Ted Williams! #gahbagetruckfire :D

18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it and don't think we gave up too much to complete the trade. I happen to love the excitement of first round draft picks but trading one for a proven Forward is a no brainer.

Agree that we still need to add more quality during the summer window.

19. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, this has the potential to make Rowe look a fair bit better than he has recently. He'll have to get rid of the ball quicker, lest he provoke the beast Kamara. But Kamara will reliably draw more defensive attention than Rowe (or Diego) giving him a bit more time and a bit more space. He might turn into Ethan Finley.

It's going to be interesting to see how long it takes Jay to figure out how best to form a starting 11. I'm sure Tierney and Smith are thinking that they are the guys to deliver those balls into Kamara.

20. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm, Monty goes away, we make a huge signing. Should we take up a collection to send him away, again?:rolleyes:

Monty, don't worry, correlation is not causation

patfan1 repped this.
  21. Supahhhrev

Supahhhrev Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Dorchestah, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to give burns credit for something that should've happened in the off season (maybe not Kei but we've needed a goal scorer for some time).

Glad this happened, with Newcastle being relegated yesterday and the Revs being poor I was ready to give up on club football for awhile :(

Thanks,
    Beau

22. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night (wed) on ESPNFC; SN said that Lee and JJ could not stand to be in the same room and the Revs still made MLS Cup Final. It's the first I have ever heard about that, it came straight from SN's mouth. Someone on the show commented that one disgruntled player can be deal with on a team; it's when the number of disgruntled players starts reaching 3 or 4 then you have real problems.

23. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say, I am worried about this move. I agree we didn't give up much, but to crib from BERich's note, I worry that Kei is disgruntled player No. 3 or 4 (since it's hard to imagine too many Revs are properly gruntled). But I am hopeful that he'll get the team of the scoring schneid before the gruntling gets too out of hand. Knock on wood, at least for this season....

a517dogg repped this.
  24. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    My one concern is how long Kamara lasts --- how long is he contracted for? And regardless of that, if past history is any indication we'll get less than 2 seasons out of him.

Trying to get my head around draft picks being worthless -- Dempsey was pretty good, Farrell seems to be pretty good. I DO get obtaining a proven goal scorer is something we need -- but now we have what 4 forwards: Kamara, Davies, Aguedelo and Bunbury? Sure the latter two can play out on the wing some, but my goodness. I guess I would have liked to give one of them up rather than either the draft pick or the foreign slot.

Another reactionary move by the Revs -- interesting that they scooped them from Vancouver, I wonder what happened there.

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was only a first rounder then you're right Doc. However, it's 1st, 2nd, plus allocation $$ and our intl slot. That is A LOT to give up for a guy with a negative locker room presence rep. Yes he's a proven goal scorer but honestly the revs have few non-player assets left now - After this trade the cupboard is dry. I don't expect reinforcements in the summer.