Weird News Thread Part III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pathogen, Nov 20, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And ran a red light.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm pretty sure I saw that on Reno 911

5. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Give him some credit. He ran 2 miles to the ER and got his badly injured leg treated. He will be on the disabled list for 6 Mos when he will be able to retire with full compensation. It's the least we could do! :rolleyes:

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Ahhh - didn't think of the disability angle. It was all planned!

roby repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Not really weird but amazing news. Using multiple telescopes around the world, scientists have the first picture of a black hole. Looks a bit like Trump's MouthAnus

8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    first picture of a black hole
    [​IMG]

Cascarino's Pizzeria and KCFutbol repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we don’t have an apocalypse now thread, the news that Kim Kardashian is studying for the bar exam fits best here.

Cascarino's Pizzeria and dapip repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All jokes aside, I don't see what's "apocalyptic" about it. How is she any worse than many of the lawyers out there? She's probably smarter than many of them, to be honest, and has previously shown involvement in correctional reform and interest in the justice system.

If anything she should be praised. How many other people with her money and prestige choose to venture out of their comfortable lives in order to seek new challenges? It is commendable and demonstrates perseverance.

Of course it's easy to join the crowd and all laugh (HAHAHAHAHAH stupid bitch thinks she's living Legally Blonde! lmao ROFL!!!!), but I personally see it as something to applaud.

stanger repped this.
  12. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands

13. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more on the surprised side. If she's studying for the bar exam, that means she has graduated from law school, correct? You can't be stupid and graduate from law school, can you? While there are certainly law school graduates that might make one question that assertion, Michael Cohen and Michelle Bachmann come immediately to mind. I'm fairly certain it take a fairly high degree of intellect to be accepted to and graduate from law school.

So, a tip of the hat to Ms. Kardashian for her accomplishment.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think there are a few states where you can take and pass the bar the old-fashioned way, without going to law school. Abe Lincoln took that route. My guess is that California is one of them.

KCFutbol repped this.
  15. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I did not know that.

Similar to taking the Architect's license exam after apprenticing in lieu of a university degree. That used to be the case. Not sure if it still is.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good article in slate on the way to practice law without a J.D. or even a bachelor's degree, like Abraham Lincoln and potentially Kim Kardashian

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/04/kim-kardashian-lawyer-no-college-legal-explainer.html

In a Vogue profile published on Wednesday, Kim Kardashian revealed she’s studying to become a lawyer and aims to take the California bar in 2022. She will not go to law school. This plan, the magazine notes, is not a unique Kardashian scheme but rather a perfectly legal alternative to the typical American lawyer’s career path in some states. But is skipping law school actually something that noncelebrities do? And, more important, is it a good idea?

The short answer is that very few people forgo a JD on their path to the law—but, in my view, more should. California, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington allow aspiring lawyers to study under an apprentice for several years, then take the bar exam alongside law school graduates. If they pass, they can work as fully credentialed lawyers in the state. Individuals who choose this route in California must study in a law office for four years, at least 18 hours a week, and pass a “baby bar” after the first year. They must pay a $150 fee to start, followed by a biannual payment to the California bar of $30. The full cost rarely exceeds more than a few thousand dollars, compared with more than $150,000 for three years at many California law schools.​

And the most interesting part (i.e. the part without Kim Kardashian)

Why does this program exist? It’s actually a carryover from an earlier period in American history, when all aspiring lawyers “read law” rather than attend school, then took an exam to gain admission to the bar. Many celebrated attorneys of the 18th century, including John Adams, John Marshall, and Abraham Lincoln, followed this route. In fact, the first Supreme Court justice to hold a law degree was Benjamin Robbins Curtis, who joined in 1851 (and was not one of its leading lights). The practice of “reading law” began to fade in the 1870s when law schools emerged as a more standardized alternative. The last justice to join the Supreme Court without holding a JD, the widely respected Robert H. Jackson, was appointed in 1941.

Even though “reading law” remains a possibility in some states today, this route does have some major drawbacks. First, it can be difficult for would-be apprentices to find a mentor willing to work with them closely over several years. Second, the bar exam pass rate for apprentices is quite low—28 percent in 2013, compared with a 73 percent pass rate for graduates of an American Bar Association–accredited law school. Third, those apprentices who do pass the bar won’t be able to practice in most other states. If you graduate from law school, take the bar in one state, then move somewhere else, you can usually either transfer your exam scores or, at worst, take the bar in your new state of residence. But if you do not hold a JD, most states won’t let you practice, even if you take the bar. Put simply, if you “read law” in California, you’d better intend to practice in California exclusively.​

KCFutbol and Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I managed to get a photo of the black hole today with my mobile..

[​IMG]

roby, Dr. Wankler and locoxriver repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Huh. I was always under the impression that anyone was allowed to try to pass any state's bar and then practice, if the score was successful. So much so that I never bothered to look it up.

Does the writer actually mean "study under an apprentice"? Seems to me one would study AS an apprentice.

It's interesting that this profession is treating itself like a guild of cabinetmakers, the difference being that somebody who wants cabinets can buy cabinets from anyone willing to make them. Of course there's usually a lot more at stake with law...

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I meant to note that with a (sic) but I forgot. That's what happens when you have writers self-editing things they publish.

Another ******** up is the line, "Many celebrated attorneys of the 18th century, including John Adams, John Marshall, and Abraham Lincoln, followed this route. "

Lincoln was born in ... 1808? 1809? Can't remember, but it wasn't the 18th century.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow,this is some seriously stupid justification for Kim Kardashian trying this.

1) As you point out, Lincoln was not an 18th century anything.

2) The first law school program in the US was a bachelor's program at College of William and Mary in 1793, so it was about the only way "celebrated attorneys" of the 18th Century" would become lawyers.
    Apprenticeships were common throughout the 19th Century.
    The major universities began adding law school and legal study programs slowly.
    There were only 8 in the nation as of 1840.
    In the 1870's the ABA came in and part of the mission in promoting the profession including looking at rapidly formalizing and standardizing the education curriculum.

3) The Juris Doctor program was not introduced until after 1900. The University of Chicago was first.

Also, only a few people successfully pass the bar without graduating from Law School. The passage rate is less than 30% for those who try it in the states that allow it.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Masturbating robots.

Just to clarify, they masturbate you, not themselves.

1115771690653343744 is not a valid tweet id

Excape Goat and soccernutter repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    In public bathrooms, huh? It may be very Idiocracy, but I smell a money making opportunity!

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You, sir, are a blessed job creator.

Someone will have to clean them.

song219, xtomx and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "Donors reluctant to masturbate in a hospital setting"... If they were that reluctant, they wouldn't be donating. I mean, this tech didn't exist until fairly recently. Have the numbers gone up because you can now put your dick into a mechanical device instead of using your hand?

"Those jobs even Black folks don't want to do"...

Dr. Wankler and dapip repped this.
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States