PBP: Week 17 discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back-to-school midweek mayhem.
    [​IMG]
    New http://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/injuries:
    (BOS) Chapman OUT (groin strain)
    (HOU) Lloyd OUT (left ankle sprain), Brian QUESTIONABLE (groin tendinitis)

(POR) Long OUT (excused absence)

(CHI) QUESTIONABLE: Colaprico (left wrist contusion), Naughton (nasal contusion), Naeher (groin strain)

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently lightning in KC. Game delayed until 8:30 pm.

Houston currently up by 1 against Boston (there goes my prediction...:oops:)

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Boston (Dowie) just equalized. 1-1.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [BOS-HOU] I missed all of 1H
    10' 0-1 Hagen

26' 1-1 R.White forward pass to box top mid-left looking for Dowie's run, Poliana clears it high across box top to mid-right. Purce runs on, perfect knockdown ball-stop to own feet, drives down box right to 3m. Shross to left post floats over Campbell at near post, to 0.1m left post 1/2 high, Dowie back-cuts everybody and stoop-heads in.

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [CHI-SEA]
    Pickett for Mathias; Dallstream for Yanez. Chicago starts Dalton for Naeher, and Colaprico :thumbsup:

23' 1-0 Comeau settles at 30m box right, cuts upfield, dribbles into a seam at arc top mid-right as absolutely nobody steps up with pressure. Unmarked chip to 6-top 1/3 left, Hoy front-cuts Barnes and outjumps her, heads down into center back low.

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 Gilmoy, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    42' 1-0 Elston tap square right to Utsugi, pass up wide right to Kawasumi. Quick ground pass to Fishlock not closely marked at 10m mid-right, she turns away from Ertz. Fishlock flicks square left across 8m, ball deflects off Proffitt(?)'s thighs(?) to 6-top 1/5 right. Nairn one-touch right instep golf swing, rushed the half-volley and lifts it way high over bar. Oh no she rushed the volley :speechless:

HT 1-0. +0'.

[BOS-HOU]
    58' 1-1 Onumonu shot deflects over goal. R1 blows stoppage for -- himself :eek: and he limps into near touch to get magic spray on his right lower leg.

58' 1-1 Crew subs in (1 of ?) #R4 for #R1. That's why a crew has 4 :coffee:

59' 1-1 Poliana right throw-in from circle back to midfield, Hagen mis-plays it off her chest, Leon cuts across her and takes ball. Hagen chases from behind, catches Leon's left palm edge across her nose? Hagen goes down on back, another stoppage ...

7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    64' 1-2 Houston hoof up wide left, Purce heads it up but not away. Prince collects and turns to 24m arc left, snipes a perfect ground pass between King and Frisbie to Beckie at 12m 5-right. Perfect foot trap, Beckie shoots right foot rising over A.Smith's lunge, just under crossbar 1/6 right.

67' 1-2 Boston subs in (1 of 3) #23 Katie Stengel for #9 Natasha Dowie.
    69' 1-2 Boston subs in (2 of 3) #25 Morgan Andrews for #26 Angela Salem.

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 Gilmoy, Aug 16, 2017
    [CHI-SEA]
    46' 1-0 Seattle subs in (1 of 3) #33 Katlyn Johnson for #6 Lindsay Elston.

[BOS-HOU]
    79' 1-3 Campbell gk past circle top left, Killion pokes ball off DaCosta's back. Andressinha dribbles to 27m arc left, cuts centerward and creeps to 24m arc right with head up. Killer diagonal pass through box top mid-left splits King and Frisbie, sends Poliana overlapping behind them to 5m mid-right. One-touch cross to 4m center for Daly's run, A.Smith dives and slaps ball out past spot. DaCosta accelerates late, never acquires Hagen running on past her -- one-touch left instep through traffic, into 1/4 left low.

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New start time for KC-POR is 9:10 pm.

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 lil_one, Aug 16, 2017
    How quickly the tides turn...Seattle score in the 90' and then 92' to take the 3 points!! FT 2-1.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 Gilmoy, Aug 16, 2017
    [CHI-SEA]
    90' 1-1 Short clears past Crummer up wide left, Mathias volleys it back to Short's head. Awkward header goes straight up, McCaffrey(?) bicycles it blind to 30m center. Utsugi collects going left, threads a diagonal ground pass through arc left for Kawasumi through box top mid-left. Comeau chases to 6-top left, slides to block, Kawasumi cuts back to 6-top 5-left and shoots right instep past Dalton, into 1/3 right back low. +3'.

90+2' (of +3') 1-2 McCaffrey feeds Mautz breaking out alone past midfield box right, to 25m mid-right. Barnes slide-pokes ball free, switches right to Mathias just behind midfield mid-right. K.Johnson is momentarily offside, pulls up as Ertz retreats behind her -- on again. K.Johnson makes her front-cut from 35m center, Mathias chips perfectly to 27m arc right -- K.Johnson glances ball off outside right thigh into own stride, chases to 17m arc right with Dalton squaring up at 10m right post. Right instep snap shot beats Dalton's dive left under/past her left hand, rolls juuust inside right post low.

FT 1-2. Where did that come from! Can we bottle it and put a six-pack in the cooler --

blissett repped this.
  12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And from 60'-70' or so, Chicago had about six good chances in Seattle's box, as they kept breaking Seattle's high line (and Barnes coughed it up a few times). Kopmeyer saved a couple, and the rest just missed from tight angles. Not Chicago's sharpest finishing. Seattle spent 89' making good crosses to nobody.

Mathias with a pinpoint assist :notworthy: When does she even practice that part of her game? Harvey's a genius, or something ...

blissett repped this.
  13. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #13 Smallchief, Aug 16, 2017
    Amazing comeback by Seattle. Two goals in three minutes. Chicago's defense may have been tired. I think it was Laura Harvey who said that Seattle holds its own with its starters and wins with its subs -- and Mathias and Johnson demonstrated the truth of that tonight. Johnson, the rookie, is looking more and more like that target forward that every team would love to find.

Not to take anything away from Kawasumi and Utsugi who got the first goal.

In my opinion, Chicago has for the last two seasons underperformed slightly on offense. Dames keeps moving Huerta back into the right midfield --- and she's best as a forward. Mautz can do fine as a right-flank midfielder. Keep Huerta up top. .

blissett repped this.
  14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [KC-POR]
    42' 0-0 Taylor hangs a square pass left to Sauerbrunn, Raso chases exuberantly. Sauerbrunn rushes a backpass, Barnhart clears poorly -- directly to Sykes at arc top box right. Sykes burns Averbuch down box right to 2m mid-right, cross to 2m right post, Barnhart dive-blocks it down, Sauerbrunn clears it to 15m 2/5 right. Sinclair traps ball, jukes right -- Moros slide-lunges late, trips her down. Foul, pk.

44' 0-1 Henry pk, right instep pull into back left low hard, as Barnhart stepped wrong.

15. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    64' 0-1 KC right throw-in at circle top, switch left to Moros running up wide left. Moros rounds Sykes at 35m left touch, drives past her to arc top box left, bumped down by a hip-charge from just behind. Foul.

65' 1-1 Averbuch fk at arc top box left, right instep driven inswinger just over Raso's short(er) outside shoulder, dives down to left post as Franch dives -- and doesn't bounce up into her glove, sneaks under it.

69' 2-1 Bowen left throw-in at box top, to Ratcliffe. Ratcliffe turns down to 12m wide left, faces off vs. Sonnett and Henry. Standing cross to 12m 1/4 left, Leroux steps to ball and lunge-heads a mini-lob behind Franch's early step toward far post, drops into 1/4 left back low before Franch can fully reverse. Menges lost contact with Leroux ...

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just got back from the Red Stars vs. Seattle game. I don't know what to say. I am totally distraught at what happened and frankly exhausted from wearing my heart on my sleeve for this team.
    I frankly feel like the Red Stars will not win another game this season. What has happened to this team that was solidly battling for first place with tons of talent? There should been no way they should have lost tonight.

Just a terrible feeling tonight leaving Toyota Park. I'm checking out for a couple of weeks.

17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lesson for both Chicago and Portland tonight: You have GOT to defend for all 90+ minutes. Lapses like the ones both teams made tonight are very costly.

cpthomas repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, coaching is simple: Harvey played her Japanese girls (Utsugi + Kawasumi), Dames kept his Japanese player on the bench (Nagasato) and was punished... :rolleyes:
    Jokes apart, why not giving some playing time to Nagasato? She's a striker, maybe she could have converted some of those Chicago's missed shots. And it's not like Red Stars didn't have substitutions to "waste": they made the second one at 87' only... o_O

Anyway, I understand all the stuff with winning with subs, the particular efficiency some players have when put in late vs tired opponents and blah blah, but I would really really really want to see Katlyn Johnson start sometime! :devilish: Seriously, this girl seems to me one of the best assets of Seattle this season. The fight for the play-off spot is tighter and tighter: please use all of our best weapons!!!

Gilmoy repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Please, don't talk me about my prediction. Everytime I don't give Seattle the win (happened just two or three times this season), because they seem to me at one of their lowest of the season vs a strong team, they punish me for my loss of faith! :x3:

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Could this have been a factor? Would Naher have saved one of those two goals? :cautious: (Just foof for thought)

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The two games Johnson has started, she hasn't done much and Seattle ended up losing. Harvey is using her in a role that helps the team more.

blissett repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You're right, my bad. :oops:

Anyway, it looks like the only way Seattle Reign can achieve anything is through finding themselves in a do-or-die situation... :alien:

23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happened twice in less than 24 hours.
    One team dominated for 60', scored 1 goal, should have scored a bunch more.
    Then they cede twice in 3', and lose 1-2.

... and so France W19 advances over Germany W19 to the UEFA W19 final (vs. Spain). Yes, that was a semi-final :coffee:

This sort of thing does happen to Germany rather a lot. Maybe their good-enough gets them into many semis, but they've never really had to fight from behind.

blissett repped this.
  24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan, sometimes it seems we WANT IT more than the players or coaches do. When one commits as hard as you do, the disappointments can be devastating. What is nice, is that we can nurse our wounds and finally with great confidence exclaim "Wait 'til next year!"...because there will be a next year.

blissett repped this.
  25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weekend slate! Those searing May temperatures have kind of become a non-issue ... whew
    [​IMG]
    New http://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/injuries:

(BOS) Allysha Chapman (groin strain) upgraded from OUT (Wed) to PROBABLE (and she starts)
    (ORL) Rachel Hill (right ankle sprain) upgraded from OUT (last week) to PROBABLE (available as sub)

(NJ) Kelley O'Hara (right adductor strain) upgraded from OUT (last week) to QUESTIONABLE; Natasha Kai (right calf strain) also QUESTIONABLE.

(CHI) Danielle Colaprico (left wrist contusion) and Katie Naughton (nasal contusion) upgraded from QUESTIONABLE (Wed) to PROBABLE; Alyssa Naeher (groin strain) still QUESTIONABLE