PBP: Week 1 discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Rapinoe have been epecially terrible.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pearce is typed into the Sky Blue tweets, so it wasn't a mistake.

I'm thinking she's gone back to her maiden name (divorce??).

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    The Reign should be thankful they excaped that half without giving up a goal or two. Our midfield is getting over run right true the middle just as I feared. Yanez, Fishlock and Nairn are spending too much time chasing the ball and thus can not creating anything.
    Harvey needs to take out Elston and bring in Utsugi to plug that hole in the middle. If not it's only a matter of time before Sky Blue scores and that Reign team doesn't look like they are scoring any time soon.

blissett repped this.
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reign and Sky Blue both score on pk's a few minutes apart. 1-1.

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    So after two penalties Harvey finally brings in utsugi for Elston. With my luck Harvey will play Utsugi at LB and push Pickett up top. Let's hope not

blissett repped this.
  6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Since it appears Harvey is listening to me, please take out Yanez and bring on Johnson or take out Rapinoe and bring on Dallstream. We need some speed up top

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Welp Dallstream is coming on in place of Nairn. Don't mind it. Yanez can sit deep and Dallstream can play the 9

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Now that Cox is on the coaching staff, can she work with Pickett and teach her how to cross a ball that doesn't have air under it

CoachJon repped this.
  9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SiberianThunderT repped this.
  10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    So that was that, full analysis tomorrow

11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle has Haley Kopmeyer to thank for the point they got.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Other people have spoken to this already, but just to add my two cents:

If you took the top half of players on any team in any sport and got rid of them without bringing anyone of equal quality on, that team would take a noticeable attendance hit. It's not just people caring about "big names" when they see the entire team deconstructed without any sign the team is being rebuilt.

That said, if you look at the attendance numbers from last year, DC is one of the two or three teams that you still were able to see noticeably different attendance bumps depending on which opposing team was visiting. I think that's kinda typical of DC sports fans in general, from what I've seen of attendances for DCU, the Nats, and the Caps. DC sports fans apparently are swayed by star power a bit more than other cities.

Finally, though, it's not just seismic player shift that I guess has affected Spirit attendance. Ticket prices have gone up a bit this year, more so for games like the home opener (it's not a flat price per game this year). So that's gonna make some people not feel like coming out. Also, as someone who was at the season-ending DC-SEA game last year, I think many fans were quite upset at the owner for the whole anthem fiasco. The Spirit sent out a fan survey during the offseason and scuttlebutt was that between the roster implosion and the owner's actions, many fans mentioned being unhappy with the organization overall.

CoachJon and Blaze20 repped this.
  13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    She's a big fan of the environment

BlueCrimson repped this.
  14. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008

15. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Well Mr. T your scuttlebutt is wrong! I'm not sure why you made that up but there were more fans and supporters in favor of the owners actions. Let me ask you this why is Miss R. not knelling anymore?? Why didn't she out of the kindness of her heart take money out of her own account and show support. Lastly, Miss R's actions and reactions towards Mr. L and the name calling show Miss R is very incompetent and racist!

Holiday weekend in DC everyone is away for the weekend.

16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16:22 and I think that was the first time Rose Lavelle touched the ball:thumbsdown:

17. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Breakers website says game is final, 1-0 KC. Guess we don't need to watch the rest of the game.

holden repped this.
  18. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    lol!

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #44 SiberianThunderT, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    As I said, I was at the game. Rapinoe got the loudest cheer of the night when she was finally subbed on. Spirit Squadron very vocal with "Let her kneel!" as well. Twitter and WoSo-centric sites after the game largely abuzz in her favor, except by people who were chiming in on WoSo just because they found her action offensive. Also massive respect went out after the players' statement concerning the owner's reactions was released. Those same emotions cropped up on Twitter again after the fan survey went out. Not to mention that WoSo fans in general lean left anyway, so general support for her and against the owner's unilateral decision makes sense - and yes, I know not every WoSo fan leans left, but more do than don't. Just calling what I saw. If you have more solid evidence than any of that suggesting more fans supported the owner, do tell instead of just saying I'm wrong. I didn't just "make it up".

And FYI, my post said "many", not "most" anyway. You read into my post more than I was saying. My personal impression of the whole situation still makes me thinks "most" would still be correct, but I made a point of saying "many" just to help explain the drop. Even if it wasn't "most" fans upset, I know that enough of them were to potentially affect attendance, in addition to all the other things that changed this offseaon. Read and respond more carefully next time before getting super defensive. FWIW I don't have a stake one way or the other on the whole kneeling thing - again, I'm just calling what I've seen and heard.

lil_one, Gilmoy and BlueCrimson repped this.
  20. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    A-Rod was stretchered off... :(

21. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  22. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    CoachJon repped this.
  23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the buzz went out of the KC game after Rodriguez' injury.

24. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up to and including SB's Friday pregame press release, she was Rampone, by Saturday night she was Pearce.

25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    On the whole I think it was a good weekend though two of my all time favorite women's club soccer players (Lohman and Arod) are hurt. I wish the best of luck to these Philly Independence legends

CoachJon and Myrtle repped this.