Wednesday 22 May 2019

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, May 21, 2019.

1. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I mean, congrats to them, but at this point a lot of the Fire fan base may as well be a nostalgia act of a team from a generation ago (not unlike the Cosmos fans of the previous decade). Fire social media loves to talk about "winning back the lost fans", but really, this team hasn't actually gained new fans in a generation. You can point blame for that in a lot of directions, but they need to start growing and frankly that comes from tapping into parts of the city that haven't previously cared about the team for any number of reasons. And honestly if this team finally becomes successful again, most of those new fans showing up every week aren't actually going to give all that much of a crap about the time that the Fire were an above average team in a 10-12 team league.

Really, did the fact that the Quakes relaunched without he "shockwave" crest mean that DeRo was told to go f-ck off? Did KC's rebrand mean that Preki was told to eat shit? The "nothing can change because of tradition" brigade is just cringey hipsterism. The "tradition" of those early Fire teams is long dead and we're just playing Weekend at Bernies with the corpse now.

Ismitje repped this.
  2. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    I am as Pro Israeli as anyone. But Israeli is a small country. I bet there are lots of small countries that are not represented in MLS.

Ismitje, Bill Archer and NashSC repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole article is a non-starter, written by a player agent who is pissed off that the Revs never signed any of his clients. The fact that the Krafts have lots of Israel connections (they had a paper bag factory in the occupied territories) makes him think they should have.

Bottom line is that the Revs are among the most incompetent teams when it comes to finding any "hidden gems" in somewhat obscure countries. Sure, there are probably more than a few Israelis who could be good MLS players, just like a lot of countries. One thing that I had heard from maybe 10-12 years ago was that the Israeli league paid a lot better than MLS did at the time (and rumored that a lot of it was in perks or under the table payments). MLS salaries are a lot better now, but at the time a non-top tier foreign player wasn't going to get a massive contract in MLS.

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Schoenfeld would be an example of that. He went from something like $60K as a backup forward in MLS to $400K as a starter in Israel.

Bill Archer repped this.
  5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they kinda actually do.

Bill Archer repped this.