Wednesday 10 Oct 2018

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Oct 10, 2018.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #26 falvo, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Speaking of Chivas, I remember posting on the boards around 2005 -2006 about how potentially, Chivas USA could lead to a discrimination lawsuit by not wanting to employ non Latin/Hispanic players or administrators and/or not even looking at them. I believe that did in fact happen and it lead to their demise of the club when Vergara told Dan Calichman and Ted Chronopoulos , “If you don't speak Spanish, you can go work for the Galaxy”..

I'm all for roster limitations for foreigners as I think domestic players need a chance to play help their respective national teams. Still, tradition or not, if Liga MX did join forces with MLS down the line, there could very well be another issue with Chivas Guadalajara only looking at Mexican born players. I foresee another Bosman type ruling. If the leagues do merge, at that point what would stop a player bringing his case to FIFA or even an International court for not letting them play with the team because of his nationality? Wouldn't that be a potential discrimination issue?

Beerking repped this.
  2. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The reports I've read from the US media say about merging the two leagues. The interview with Bonilla I saw said about doing a tournament or "league" with MLS and Canada in the future, not merging them into one. Sort of like Copa MX where it has group stage and then goes to the knock out rounds. Or probably similar to CCL or USOC with single elimination games. It does not mean all 3 countries will have one big United League, just one big United competition leaving out Central America and the Caribbean. This "league" would run concurrently with each domestic league.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Didn't they already try that with the Interliga from 2004-2010?

InterLiga -

4. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Props just for recollecting that.

falvo repped this.
  5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    At age 36 I doubt he'll get many takers. :D

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wasn't really into the changing the rules of the game but that idea of placing soccer stadiums inside shopping districts or malls was actually ahead of its time. If you look at the new model Garber wants for his SSS, its kind of the same. Or rather, wanting to place the stadiums near the city centers. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]