We played a 3-6-1 vs. JAM. Convince me otherwise

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Jun 7, 2019.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm hearing/seeing pundits tripping over themselves to call that anything other than what it was: a 3-6-1.

Before this turns into a Sampson bashing thread, I think SS has always gotten a bad shake. He was saddled with a lot of prima donnas. (When Lexi says on a podcast that his purpose in France was to sabotage the team, that's pretty bad). This isn't about Sampson. I'm just wondering why no one will call it what it was: a 3-6-1. I heard a couple of podcasters call it a 3-4-3. Wha? Who were the other two forwards? The same guys called Miha a central mid. They're saying Arriola and Robbie were forwards in that scheme? IIIIIIIIIIIIIII don't think so.

Why's everyone so afraid of saying it was a 3-6-1?

TOAzer and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  2. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Zinkoff repped this.
  3. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Whatever it was, it made me very impressed with Jamaica. And playing Jamaica on home soil after an extended camp... I don't think I'm supposed to be coming away impressed with Jamaica.

Zinkoff, TOAzer, FC Tallavana and 8 others repped this.
  4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like a 3-5-2 to me. Of course, since our midfield struggled so much, it was more of a 3-7-0 because the two forwards came back so much.

5. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I posted this in another thread, but it's a bit nutty that this is Berhalter's alternative system rather than a traditional 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1. I'm withholding real judgements on Berhalter until after the Gold Cup or at least a few games of it, but this game was definitely a complete mess. We'll see what happens with the "A" team.

TOAzer and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It has been repeatedly referred to as a 3421, which is a 361 formation.

7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh oh, is that criticism I hear? What, you thought GGG was going to win all his games? I can promise you bad games in the future! Please stop booing, he's very sensitive to people being upset that he wasted their time by being an idiot!

Borrachin, AutoPenalti and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden and GB called it a 3-4-2-1. Essentially a modern XMass tree.

Sargeant
    Mihailovic Roldan
    Robinson Yueill Trapp Arriola
    Ream Omar Miazga
    Steffen​

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the long awaited 3-crap-1 formation.

10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
  11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Who was the other forward?

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mihailovic. He appeared to playing the left side, but not as advanced as Sargent.

I thought that he was playing forward as Sargent was only making runs on the right side and center. If he truely was a single forward, I would have thought that some of his play would have been more on the left side of the field.

Who knows? Obviously Mihailovic didn't....

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From someone in the upper level midfield stands with a great view down on the action, Mihailovic was definitely not playing up top with Sargent. It was Sargent up there by himself.

14. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sorry you said a 3-6-1?

I didn’t see any forward that night. All I saw were players who looked like they weren’t coached properly.

15. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'd struggle to say he was playing high. He was playing closer to a (very bad) CAM than he was a forward it seemed.

Telling too that whenever we'd get the ball wide, the options were Sargent in the box not making a run to get open, then, basically nothing.

16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely because nobody uses that description anymore, similar to how you will almost never see anyone specify a 4-5-1 (4-2-3-1, 4-1-4-1, 4-3-2-1) anymore. Modern formations are more tactically nuanced and segmented.

jaykoz3 and IndividualEleven repped this.
  17. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    It was a 361. Probably why I though Chad Deering would have been an improvement.

nowherenova repped this.
  18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s what I saw. I think 3G was playing like he would if Mihailovic was Pulisic and Roldan was Wes. Wes/Roldan dropped into the mid making it 5 and Pulisic/Mihailovic becomes the second forward making it 2.

19. jahman

jahman Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Outside Reggae Land
    If we had any sort (now, maybe I should say a much better) youth development program, you would be highly impressed. Immense natural talent on the island, just the development is lacking. There are now a few "academies" popping up and in the next 10 years we should see the fruits of this.

btlove repped this.
  20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's us, the modern USMNT, unlike those blighters of 2002 we are more tactically nuanced and segmented.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does this even matter? Seriously, outside of calling it BAD is just putting lipstick on a pig.

Why would anyone care what a bunch of TV folks are deciding what to call a formation? The formation is nothing more than a base, that shifts with the ebbs and flows of the game.

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm guessing Sampson's 3-6-1 was more tactically nuanced than GB's. So we can stop belittling SS's "3-6-1"?

23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Because "3-6-1" has been used as a kind of joke to belittle Sampson. We can drop that trope now?