we need an anthem!!!!

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by bigal614, Oct 28, 2008.

1. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4U33U_UyzQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4U33U_UyzQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I think this will make us hardcore.

2. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F*ck that sh*t

Why dont we just make our anthem Down with the Sickness or "Killing in the name of" by Rage against the Machine? When it gets to the "F*ck you I wont do what you tell me!" part it would be hardcore:cool:

3. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OTaEVbokjkc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OTaEVbokjkc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

4. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I'm not really top 40. I'm more Kasabian, MGMT, Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, Muse. That sort of style. Coldplay is pretty top 40 and it's a testament by them playing their new video all the time on VH1 while their new cd absolutely blows ass.

We could do better than Coldplay, like who wants to settle for Coldplay. I just don't think it's what our fans want to be singing for the next 50 years. It's a shit song. There are also different sorts of songs that are acceptable as an anthem, "You'll Never Walk Alone" isn't the most manly song ever but it works because it's old school, same with Elvis. Coldplay on the other hand is current and more than half the fan base doesn't even like them.

The elvis one is a chant and a fine one at that. I'm not saying to use that as an anthem either but as a chant. I just don't want to settle for either because neither really hits the right way.

But, since you love Coldplay and this song so much why don't you try starting it up and see how far it goes. That's what some of us did with "We Love You." Anyways, Coldplay just doesn't feel real to me and I won't sing it unless the whole section does, but I doubt that happens.

And, what the hell is the connection? "Err, it's called yellow and our team usually wears yellow." Wow, what a deep ********ing connection. The lyrics are not strong because they have nothing to do with how anyone feels about the team. It's like we just looked for all songs with yellow in it and picked one.

Lol, and way to get emo over music and anthems. You must have a real boner for Coldplay.

5. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could, Coldplay is just gay. Your all raging homo's for considering it. :D

Do you really think HSH or even LTA for that matter is going to sing that?

6. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever I like Oasis a lot better anyway but nobody knows anything by them in this country except Wonderwall and that doesnt work. The lyrics to Yellow are just as relevant to the Crew as the Elvis song if not more so

7. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. "Only Fools Rush In, Only Fools Rush In, But I can't help falling in love with you" has more relevance then anything in Yellow.

But, I agree in part. Both are not good enough.

8. Massive 94

Massive 94 New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Grandview
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well if I ever hear Las Vegas mentioned again our anthem might have to be "Don't Go Away"... arguably my favorite Oasis song.

9. bigal614

bigal614 Member

Oct 19, 2008
    columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take my hand, take my whole life too
    for I can't help fallin in love with you...:eek:

10. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be Here Now rep:D

BTW I saw Oasis in Detroit in December and they fooking brought it man. They are still great live and their new album was actually pretty good. The media just hates them here because they dont get their british "humour" and just think they are arrogant pricks

11. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And?

12. Minkus2816

Minkus2816 Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Westerville, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think there is a significance connection between the song and the supporters' connection to the team. The first verse, Look at the stars...blah blah...represents how to us, the supporters, the Crew is the world--the stars shine for them...

I came along, I wrote a song for you...represents devotion to team, etc.

You know I love you so...self explanatory

I swam across, I jumped across for you...Again--devotion. This line is particularly relevant to those who put down everything they were doing to go to LA to see the team win the Cup.

For you, I bleed myself dry...As mentioned before, the undying love and respect for this team.

And yeah, our team does wear yellow. It's a good fit.

I think its an excellent pick, I don't think it's gay at all, and I don't think that should matter. Hearing the Nordecke sing with the scarves raised high is something that will be pretty damn cool in 2009.

+1 vote for Yellow.

13. laich1377

laich1377 New Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Personally I like our version of "my bonnie".

Sh*t on, Sh*t on, Sh*t on those bastards below...BELOW!!

Very family friendly song.

14. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

It's still a shit song. You guys should all start your own supporters group called "The Oblivious Coldplay Fans" and serenade us with it on Saturday's. Because I rather jump off a bridge then hear the whole section sing that shit song on Saturday's. What a bunch of raging homo's. I'm looking forward to the laugh actually.

15. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    [​IMG]
    poor show

16. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are such a wind up artist. Most people seem to like this idea, or at least dont just dismiss it as "homo" music. The consensus on this thread and past threads was that Yellow would sound cool if everyone was singing it together when played over the loud speakers and that the lyrics fit pretty well. If you cant appreciate what it would be like to get the crowd to all sing the song with the scarves up like YNWA at Anfield, then I cant help you. Listen to 1:30 to 2 of the video

[youtube]ZV3fdEBWTN0[/youtube]

17. bigal614

bigal614 Member

Oct 19, 2008
    columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    listening to it,it really doesn't sound that cool in fact i think it sounds bad.
    I just felt like only fools rush in was good because it was easy to learn, it is by the king and it describes how much we all care about our team.

I really wont care that much if it ends up being yellow

i think we need to look at more songs from bands that are not current songs that have lasted generations people should just go listen to a few and start listing different ideas

18. bigal614

bigal614 Member

Oct 19, 2008
    columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i could see the whole stadium singing this lol :p

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xNarn1MY6kY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xNarn1MY6kY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

19. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I'm right? I know it won't take off.

Yeah because obviously I need help if I can't enjoy Coldplay. :D

If the FO pipes that music over the loudspeakers and we all sing it in unison it will just feel fake to me. Like we are singing a craptastic Coldplay song in a vain attempt to try to be Liverpool.

Okay, listen to me, Coldplay Yellow cannot be YNWA. It doesn't have as strong lyrics, it doesn't have easy lyrics, it doesn't follow the same beat the whole time unless someone in the section is going to play the guitar riff, and it just isn't the same. Those are all Coldplay fans so of course they can chant that but have you ever tried chanting the whole damn song? It doesn't work and it even sounds not exactly inspiring in that video.

Please try to sing the whole yellow song as a YNWA right now in your room. I have tried it many times and it sounds nothing like YNWA or any sort of soccer team anthem, it just doesn't work. Why would anyone want to settle for something that doesn't work? If it did, someone would have tried it already since the idea has been around since June.

I'm all for an anthem at some point but neither Yellow or Elvis is the answer. The answer isn't running to FO with some lame Coldplay song. It should be organic, started in the section, and something everyone can appreciate. I think you're very mistaken if you think many people off of these boards want to sing Coldplay "Yellow."

20. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that is an anthem, get your damn hands up for some Whitney.

Yeah, you can take your stupid red card and shove it up your ass..
    Up your ass..
    You can take your stupid red card and shove it up your ass.
    Up your ass.. :)

Hey sing it, if you guys want to sing it. Just rather not give any ammunition to other fans and rather pick a better song for an anthem instead of forcing this and having the FO pipe it over the system.

21. Tyneside4life

Tyneside4life Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bunch of drunkards belting out whitney houston, now that would be a sight to see. :cool: My vote: You're the Inspiration by Chicago. I'd be alright with Yellow, not a huge fan of Elvis though. I think if there is an anthem, it has to be somewhat a pop song because it'll be hard to catch onto otherwise. But one thing about the nordecke is that it's so diverse that it may be too diificult to get everyone to agree on one song. Chants are one thing, but once you start looking for an anthem, you aren't going to find a genre of music that suits everyone, especially with how strong some people feel about the music they listen to.

22. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have to admit that I think Coldplay is pretty gay, but at the same time Yellow is about as good as it will get as far as Crew anthems go. I do agree that it would be tough to work out with guitar solos and whatnot. I think this could be partially solved with help from the FO, i.e. playing it over the loudspeakers. Or hand out free guitars to everyone and we could have 500 people playing their own guitar solo. YNWA was a pop song before Liverpool decided to make it their anthem anyway and now that is all the song is known for.

23. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The great and powerful crewfighter has spoken!

24. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And speaking of guitar solos, can somebody with access to Youtube post the Aqua Teen clip of Carl's "guitar solo"?

That should definitely be our new anthem. Or better yet, 2 Legit 2 Quit by the legendary MC Hammer. Please Hammer, don't hurt 'em.

25. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    And again, this is why this discussion has been on going pretty much from year one of the Crew.