We don't need another gyro: Freddy Adu's Greek Tragedy

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Reignking, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Ian Joy and Freddy Adu were never teammates.

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So then what is Ian Joy saying? That when he played at RSL he heard from other people there that they didn't like Freddy?

:confused:

3. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only that, but if you've actually read the novel... the monster has quite a lot going on in his brain as well and becomes the nemesis of the doctor. It's a lot more interesting and involved than the movie.

4. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then who plays Doctor Frankenstein in the Freddy saga?

5. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don't know. Seemed like kind of a dick move to me. The funny thing is, in Joy's first 6 years as a professional he played at almost as many clubs as Adu. Apparantly, Adu's problem is that people don't like him. Was that Ian's problem too, or was it the fact the he sucks?

6. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another messenger shot :rolleyes:

7. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    so you don't think that was kind of a dick move? Out of the blue, to publicly comment like that? Talk about questionable character.

And by the way - I don't think any of Adu's teammates liked him very much. First - not many guys in their mid-twenties have much in common with a 15 year old. Second, the guy was making 5 to 10 times all but the highest paid of his teammates at that young age. Jealousy on the part of his teammates shouldn't have surprised anyone.

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ingolstadt coach?

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't "out of the blue". It was in response to a question he was asked about whether Freddy should return to MLS. He says Adu should try to stay in Europe and -to paraphrase a bit here- that MLS may not really be dying to sign him as things weren't all that great the last time.

10. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    My point exactly. Joy has no business running his mouth. It simply makes him look jelous and pathetic. I bet Freddy's first words in Bayrisch are, "Ian, lech mi im Arsch, Junge!";)

11. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the statement is true and people disliked him why do you automatically assume that jealousy was the cause?

Jump to conclusions much?

12. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Big Soccer?? :eek:

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I like to kid Freddy, but of course I wish him well. Not everyone who posts here does, obviously, and I would guess the same about many of his ex-teammates.

I was about to make the point about his young age and early wealth, which - particularly in MLS, but probably on most pro teams generally - would make him something of a misfit. He was a boy among men, with all that implies - think about sending your precocious 15-year-old off to college, let alone a dog-eat-dog workplace.

Add in a lack of maturity, partly explainable by age - just look at the young guys around you - and partly on other factors - including the many enablers (family, coaches, friends & fans) I picture in Adu's life over the course of his young life, and you are asking for trouble. Soccer is a team sport and you need supportive teammates.

If Joy played with Adu and didn't like him, he's entitled to his opinion, but if he's running his mouth spewing someone else's bile, then he's a dick (to use a polite term). If asked a question, a simple 'never played with him' would have sufficed.

I still remember Marc Burch's performance, which some here thought was a (failed) attempt to play along and be funny, but which others of us saw for what it was.

For easy reference ...

http://beanjah.blogspot.com/2007/10/marc-burch-on-freddy-adu.html

Again, assuming that Burch did not play with Adu - a question Burch was 'asked' but never answered - his responses in this 'interview' pretty well define 'dickdom.'

Adu and his advisors, family and agents included - don't forget he was still a minor when many of the most important decisions were made - have made some bad choices. He's also had some bad luck.

Adu needs to go to a team that he suits well and that suits him well. Finding that team is not as easy as one might hope.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this statement.

Ian's twitter is an important piece of information in the Freddy Adu saga, IF IT'S TRUE.

And I can't for the life of me think of a reason why someone would publicly state something like that and be 100% lying about it. That is unless they had some sort of personal vendetta. I am not aware of a war going on between Ian and Freddy.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He can run his mouth if he wants to. Who in the world cares what Ian Joy thinks of Freddy Adu? His opinion is almost as meaningless as mine is.

Don't we already know what's going to happen here? There is no chance Ingolstadt is going to pay Freddy what he's owed on his contract. Zero chance. And Aris & Benfica seem like they're no help at all. This will turn out just like the Sion and Randers trials. They'll say "we liked Freddy..............but no thanks. If we can get substantial help from Aris/Benfica to pay his salary we'd be interested. If not, we'll have to get another player instead."

16. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    So it's okay if someone here, who does not know you, makes statements out their arse about you?

If he KNEW the guy, that's one thing. But if he only knows OF the guy, that's something else.

Yeah, that's clear. So he either took the trail because 1) no one else was interested, and/or 2) there might acutally be a way for the finances to work *if* Benfica agrees. Weirder things have happened.

17. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Who knows if Freddy was well liked, hated, something in b/w, or liked by some and less liked by others. (We've seen conflicting reports before.)

Is it a logical guess to assume that some might be jealous of a hyped up, unproven kid making millions? Yep. You'd expect some of that, from veterans who'd paid their dues and also from younger players fighting to build their careers from less advantaged positions.

Does that mean Joy was jealous? Nope. Maybe he was accurately conveying general sentiment based on what he was told... But you certainly would expect some jealousy from some folks.

On the other hand...is it a logical guess to assume that many 14/15 year olds built up as the next great thing and paid millions might be both immature compared to adults and a bit big-headed? Yep. If you didn't know anything about a kid in that situation, and had to bet money on it, while that may or may not be the odds-on-favorite, it would certainly be a legitimately popular choice.

So maybe Freddy wasn't all that likable at times. Or maybe he was. Who knows...

Even if he wasn't, however, that doesn't mean he's the same guy today. A lot of time has passed since his MLS days, both chronologically and in terms of events. Perhaps he's affable and a bit more humble these days. (Or maybe he was always like that, but folks projected what they expected to find on to him. Again, who knows...)

A quick consideration regarding this hypothetical as it might apply to Germany: is it generally considered important to be well liked in German soccer? (I'm thinking of the reported lack of camaraderie in the Bayern locker room versus Everton...or is that atypical of German teams?)

18. roboatse

roboatse Member

Oct 4, 2010
    seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccernet's transfer blog seems to think Freddy has signed.

14.59: Perennial young hope Freddy Adu has moved on to the seventh club of his career, signing for German Second Division side Ingolstadt. The club's coach Benno Mohlmann said: "We know his history, we know he has not confirmed in recent years the potential he showed when he was 15-16 years old." American teenage prodigy Adu, who is now 21 - I know, it brought gasps of shock from ESPNsoccernet HQ too - has already played in the USA, Portugal, France and Greece.

had to scroll down a bit for the Freddy part

19. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Can't make a universal statement. Bayern is the archetype of a shark pool, it's much friendlier elsewhere. It's all pro sport in the end; the players want individual success, and the manager has to get success for the team out of it. Every player is a competitor and a team mate and an ally and an enemy and...
    In short:
    It depends on where you are, and who are. Nobody was waiting for you; you should perform, and be a nice guy. You can also be a prolific douchebag; but you should make yourself invulnerable before you start being an asshole.

20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we might as well check back in 2012 unless his contract with Benfica gets terminated for whatever reason. Or if his loan deal with Aris is terminated and Benfica generous loans him out while picking up the lion's share of his salary.

At the moment, his salary is far too expensive for any club that would want to make use of him. An inexperienced, undisciplined, tactically naive, defensively weak, and non-matchfit player whose position is considered a luxury role in the modern game is not going to find a home at his current wages.

Adu has real skills and considerable upside (although the chances of him fulfilling his potential seem quite slim right now), so he'd have takers.....at the right price.

European football is a fickle mistress and so you have to make your own luck. Adu doesn't seem to have that ability, which is likely related to the fact that there's a litany of former managers and players who have politely and indirectly called him lazy and irresponsible.

My hope is that these last years have been humbling enough that when it comes time to sign his next contract, he'll have grown up. There's time yet.

21. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    ROFL...the local paper does not even have the story yet. Someone is going to have egg on their face. :D

If the German dailies are not reporting it -- and they report ANY rumor as fact -- then not too sure Soccernet has it right.

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some good points here. It should be noted that Dempsey used to get into fist fights with teammates in New England. Thus he was disliked as some point in time, if only for a few rounds. ;) Didn't seem to hurt his career too much.

It would be helpful if Ian said WHY he was disliked. Cause of his work ethic? Cause he wasn't a good player? Cause of his attitude? Cause of his salary? All of the above?

It would also be helpful is Ian said WHO disliked him at RSL. Was it the coaches? The senior players? Players his age (or rather, closer to)? All of the above?

I don't expect Ian to divulge this information. First of all it's not professional. However, the "why's and who's" would paint a much better picture for the fanbase.

23. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    @roboatse and @Lascho: thanks for the info (hope the signing news is true, or soon turns out to be true)

Btw, in that Soccernet feed, saw that Scion got their striker. Looks like a taller guy (certainly compared to Freddy) that's good in the air.

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol...Gary, remember we said the same thing when Landykuchen was going to Bayern on loan!!!

[​IMG]

25. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    What's not professional is commenting publicly about alleged attitudes towards Freddy in the first place. If you're gonna do it, then at least have the sack to name names. Otherwise, you're a spineless dickbag taking an unprofessional shot at another player you never even played with. Kinda like Burch.