We Are Coming

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Thimble Keegan, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    I know that you've all been dying for the answer. If you had paid closer attention to my superb anecdote you would have figured it out. But, to be fair, I skip over the details on overwrought posts myself so, I understand.

Consider that he's London Irish. LAGER LOUT.

Consider also that I said he should lay off the gargle a bit. SIMPLE ECONOMICS.

And the broad was from Ireland, not West Roxbury.

2. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    Thimble--

A joke in America says the only time violence breaks out over a soccer match in the US is when somebody tries to switch the channel on the TV in the bar from the baseball game to soccer.

(Yes, fellow Yanks, I realize that's not so true anymore but I always thought it was funny.)

3. Thimble Keegan

Thimble Keegan New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    Maybe, but it is still illegal but the police can turn a blind eye to it. Earlier this year we played Spurs away in the FA Cup and we came pouring out of the underground station with beer and the police would not let us onto street level until we had disposed of our alocohol.

It has also been known for the police to intercept a coach of fans on route to a game and search it for alcohol. If any is found the coach is turned around and sent back home and the driver and the coach company are fined.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BHA

4. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    In some bars it is the other way around. Violence happens when someone tries to switch from soccer to baseball :)

5. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Reason number
    238,987,125,753,555,098,125,774,242,211,935,684,856,888,343,613,968,345,978,437,831,232,984 it's good to be an American! :)

6. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only at the bars you are in, Alexi. :)

I 2nd this. When I came to Chicago last summer for the Poland game, my girlfriend and I bought CTA Visitor's passes to get around the city. I plan on doing the same this time around. The same vending machines should sell them (although we flew into Midway Airport).

7. Thimble Keegan

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    It was only a minor shaking of the fence and the England fans were excellent considering the provocation...Had this been the 80's or early 90's that fence would have gone and everyone would have steamed into the Slovakians. Whilst there was a small English involvement the point I was trying to make is that we are jumped on for the smallest little incident...Lets face it, they didn't just go and arrest the people shaking the fence they just waded into everyone in the English. There were fans down the front of the stand who would have had no idea what was going on behind them until they found themselves on the receiving end of a riot policemans baton.

Yes, you are being picky!!!...I do not remember 2 people being shot but then my memory of my time out there was not exactly spot on. Anyway, no one deserves to be shot in the name of football.

As for Portugal I found the police seemed to do little else other than stand around smoking. It is also a bit strange as they have different police-forces with different powers (and agendas) depending on where you are. In the Algarve where the incident I mentioned happened they just wandered about in full view in the place where they decided we should all be kept...We didn't mind as this place was selling beer for 1 Euro a pint.

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BHA

8. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Yeah, I agree that the Slovakian police were itching for a scrap and definitely didn't mind too much who they hit with their batons. I was quite lucky in that we got to the stadium a bit late and had to walk round until the army (!) let us stand with the disabled fans down by the corner flag. So we weren't in the actual England section where the trouble was, although we had a perfect view of it.

Agreed.

Yeah, the only time I saw things get a bit hairy was outside the stadium before England-France, where a few English started trying to climb the fences and the police rushed over with batons. Nothing too serious though. As for the other trouble, I was down in the Algarve but stayed away from Albuferia so didn't see any of the bother there. Thought it was a great place actually, I'd never been to Portugal before and I really enjoyed it.

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I am also flying into Midway and had been debating the merits of a taxi v/s the train to our hotel. While the visitor pass makes the train a wise fiscal choice, hauling luggage through mass transit (on a Friday afternoon) and down city streets isn't so much fun. There are three in my party so I think we'll be taking a taxi to the hotel. I would guess we are looking at $30 for the fare. But, we will definitely be buying the 3-day visitor pass for the transit while we are in town.

What I really need to know is what and where is the best steakhouse in Chicago?

10. Yukon Cornelius

Oct 24, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    www.chicagochophouse.com

11. Thimble Keegan

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    I got into the Slovakian ground very early so ended up close to where the incident happened. We saw the riot police before the game in a petrol station and they were up for a fight.

I was also in one of the ques waiting to get into the France game and it was a nightmare although no one in our que starting scaling the fences and the police were not involved. In fact I saw no trouble at all during the tournament which was cool. I had a great time at Euro 2004 as well but never went near the Algarve, I stayed in Lisbon for 5 days and the rest of the time in a place called Ericeira on the Lisbon coast.

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BHA

12. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the hotel is big enough, you might check to see if they have a shuttle (usually free) from the airport. It'll only cost you a tip. I didn't have much trouble hauling luggage around on the El. The buses though were crowded the Friday afternoon we flew in.

13. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

I just got back from chicago a week ago and I have to agree that the Chicago Chophouse is the place to go in Chicago. Being that I'm a New Yorker it doesn't hold a candle to Peter Lugers but no seakhouse in the world does..

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    What about Frankie and Johnnies steakhouse near Times Square? Was there in January.... wow.....

15. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Have you been to Lugers??

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Yea, Peter Lugers in Great Neck.

17. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah on Northern Boulevard with all the other Steak houses... I just think its the best steak I have ever eaten.. Lucky for me it's around the corner from me :D :)

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Yea right next to Morton's, North Shore, Brian Cooper, and Burton & Doyle....lol

19. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Chicago invented steakhouses! The Chop House is but one of many famous such places. In fact, New Yorkers used to complain that there was nothing but steakhouses in Chicago. New Yorkers would concede that the steakhouses were top flight of course but there were too few alternatives.

It wasn't until the 1970's that Chicago's epicurean scene became truly world class (and it is) but the Windy City still does the steakhouse better than anywhere in the 50 states.

Sheesh...next you'll be braggin' about your bar-b-qued ribs. :p

20. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

So you know anything about New York and Peter Lugers? Apparently you don't but for those who do know it is the #1 Steakhouse in the country for Decades running. I'm not knocking Chicago Chop House I said it's good it's just no Lugers!! Take a valium and relax.

21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Actually, Uncle Jack's Steakhouse in Queens and Manhattan was recently voted the best steakhouse in NYC. :)

http://unclejacks.com/

22. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Who voted it #1 i didn't see that. I've heard good things about it but haven't made it there yet.

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    This guy did

But serisouly though..... Uncle Jack's is the place for steak in NYC :)

24. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Who am I to argue with him... :)

25. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea. Especially on Memorial Day weekend.