WCQ: Turkey - Switzerland [R]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    Congrats to the Swiss on qualification. They play an attractive style of soccer -- fun to watch.

Interesting to note the behavior (again) of the Turks -- federation and fans. Pretty decent track record here, so not at all surprised with what transpired. I am curious why the Swiss were seemingly surprised by all of this. And some of this seems mild by comparison. There are places in CONCACAF where fans stand outside the team hotel yelling and playing loud music all night, pulling fire alarms, causing traffic gridlock to cancel training, throwing bags of urine and batteries at players, etc.

The reality is that there is trash in every country in the world. Some societies view it as shameful and ostracize the miscreants as outcasts; in other places this behavior is apparently acceptable (as a history would suggest).

Regardless, the Turks can look back and say they got a great result in a great match; the Swiss obviously get the greater glory. Look forward to seeing the Swiss play in Germany. Would love to see a U.S.-Swiss matchup.

2. Ami05

Ami05 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    California
    Congrats to Switzerland, both teams deserve a spot in Germany. Switzerland have been scoring goals left and right throughout the qualifers. Turkey played really well. It was a crazy game and it ended with a chaotic finish. Good luck to Switzerland in Germany.

3. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Congratulations Switzerland! Best of luck in Germany!

4. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Bloody brilliant, Switzerland and Aussies go to Germany

With a two week interlude between Spurs games I thought I was gonna do me nut.

Then along came England vs Argentina, Scotland vs USA, and the two WC qualifying legs between Switzerland vs Turkey, and Uruguay vs Australia, and its been a fekkin splendid two weeks for fitba.

Of all those games, the memory that most stands out in my mind was the determination, heart, and courage of the two underdogs, the Swiss and the Aussies.

Watching both teams qualify and their fans go nuts sent shivers down my spine (and it wasn't like either of those two were uppermost in my mind much before, since my national football priorities are #1 England, #2 USA, #3 Germany, #4 Switzerland, #5 Spain, based on my heritage and current hang-outs).

But based on their plucky performances the World Cup finals will be a better place with Schweiz and Socceroos as part of the dance, and considering neither has previously been known for having a particularly large or demonstrative group of football fanaticos, the displays by both their groups of supporters at home was fantastic (and the Aussies were great away too, waving their inflatable kangaroos at the surly Urugs - quality).

You lot showed what it's all about. Excellent, and congrats to both national teams and supporters, you done good! See you in Deustchland, leute.

[​IMG]

5. Eowin

Eowin New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Switzerland
    Re: Bloody brilliant, Switzerland and Aussies go to Germany

Danke, Californiaspurs...I hope Switzerland will do good in WC 06.

Gruezi, Schwiz :D

6. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Welcome in Germany my swiss friend

bltleo
    GERMANY

7. 109 poweer!

109 poweer! New Member

Jul 2, 2005
    geneva, switzerland
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Damn, I can make travelling arrangements to Germany!!!!!!!

8. Ricardinho10

Ricardinho10 New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Joburg, South Africa
    Well done to Switzeland with the Large portuguese community in Switzerland i was totaly supporting you last night great to have you at the world cup from a Portuguese brother good luck in Germany

9. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the sad part of all the aftermath is that a great match was played. Of the six goals, five were great. The two headers by Turkey and Strellers goals were very good.

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    For those who haven't seen them yet...

Match Highlights (Real Player)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welcome back!

11. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    Congrats boys!!!!
    Tho think its ironic I post on your site b4 the game about Irish players being attacked in a tunnel after our play off with Turkey 6 years ago and the same happens again!!!

I didnt see what happened but something has to be done about this it was ignored by UEFA last time but can't be again!!

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Thanks. :)

Discussion about the off-field scandal (and some video footage) are here

13. marco goncalves

marco goncalves New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston

Pretty bad attitude from a Swiss player "kicking a Turkey staff member as he was entering the field ,than he attempts to punch Alpay"

Granted the Turks are known to be hot headed but the Swiss player/players didnt help matters they just threw gasoline in the fire by kicking and punching some Turks"...Both teams should be banned .......And a heavy ban,in order to clear violence from football stadiums......

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Please read the other thread, particularly this post. We didn't start the brawl and somebody from the Turkish side leaked an edited version to the international media hoping the truth won't come out. Luckily it was a failed measure.

Anyway, let's keep this thread for discussion about the match itself...

15. marco goncalves

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston

Im just commenting on what i saw ,and it was shown on American Tv ,Fox Sports World a Swiss player kicking a member of the Turkish staff and than trying to do a head lock on Alpay......

The rest i dont comment cause i didnt see ,but what i saw i will comment...

Not for nothing but whos that U-21 right defender ?Plays for Lille i think...Boy does he have a bad attitude....Anyway good luck to your guys in Germany unless you play with us....

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Like I said, read that thread and watch the footage posted. Alpay did some kicking himself before Huggel retaliated.

17. marco goncalves

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston

Ok i read the thread an saw the footage......

Now did the Swiss player # 14 did not kick the Turkish coach (retaliation or not ,he kicked the guy,and didnt the same player put a headlock on Alpay?

I know for a fact that the Turkish will get a severe ban ,if anything because ,Yes they are repeat offenders and also because Blatter is Swiss.....

However i also hope that whatever Swiss players were involved in the brawl will get repremanded .......Law should be blind.......

By the way your # 2 for the u-21 didnt have a very nice attitude in the Portugal game.....Did you see him pushing a camera man and punching the camera as he was substituted...?

18. m_bozkurt

m_bozkurt New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me tell you what happened and what's happening...

The scene is prepared in Switzerland, Turkish team being insulted during national anthem, coach assaulted by the defender after the game and finally both sides over reacted against small provocations after the game in Istanbul.

Immediately after the game Fifa #1 Blatter made an announcement asking the head of Turks not even waiting for the reports and documents arrive in Switzerland.

He didn't even know if there was enough evidence to justify ban for one home game, but he could easily announce that Turkey could be banned from 2010 World cup. an event that's going to happen 5 years from now.

A small fight taking place in the field between players and coaches (and actually one which started in the first leg in Bern-Switzerland) is announced to be enough for ban of a national team for 5 years. If this happens it will be the first in football history.

I think this is happening to diverge the attention from something else (just have a look at the following link)

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10071079/

Don't you think this is a scape goat operation ???

19. fcsg

fcsg New Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Do you have to post this in every thread? My reply is here

20. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep this to the discussion of the match, not the events after.

21. Ataberk10

Ataberk10 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 23, 2005

are you stupid ?
    Nobody can't make Turkish flag it!

THİS WEBSİTE WİLL HACK BY TURKEY:mad:

22. Ataberk10

Ataberk10 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 23, 2005
    Or how is this for your default page ?

[​IMG]

23. Nico Limmat