Pre-match: WCQ at Honduras, September 5, 2017

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Sep 2, 2017.

1. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

We didn't stole nothing.

We played like shit and got dominated by Honduras for 80+ minutes. Got a chance on a loose ball and we pounded it.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we stop denigrating Wood now?

He should of started.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. We excape with an undeserved point. I'll take it. Still awful.

Statman repped this.
  4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As should have Cameron & FJ.

5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

The Euros supposed to suck. MLSers will carry this team to the WC, like the Zusi and over the hill Beaz.

Lmao

COMtnGuy and Statman repped this.
  6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expect another poor performance at a World Cup on European soil.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is always part of the problem when he's on. Just because the chances he created didnt turn into CR goals on that night, it doesn't change anything.

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You can criticize his performance today rather freely. There really wasn't any issue with his performance on Friday night. He wasn't responsible for any goals tonight, either, but his performance most certainly was an issue.

deuteronomy and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  9. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yedlin is hurt so Zusi is playing right back. He's not ideal, but he has experience in these types of games and generally won't cost us a game. Who else should play right back when Yedlin is hurt?

I guess maybe Fabian. Not Chandler for chrissakes.

deuteronomy and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Fabian, Lichaj, and Cameron if you must.

Experience does not make for lack of speed and defensive IQ for a full back.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    None of those players are exponential upgrades over Zusi, I'm afraid. Not right now and not last week. Fabian is barely healthy, Lichaj is average, and Cameron is aging, slow, and not getting any better.

12. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    for Wagner throw double the money we threw at JK and see what he has to say about it...

13. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You're advocating we fire Arena and hire Wagner from when, starting tomorrow?

Because...why? ..he has a tenuous connection to the US? ...his 38% winning percentage over his whopping 6 year managerial career, the majority of which were spent in lower levels of management? ..his wealth of managing national teams? ..his vast experience of managing players coming in from different leagues? ..his huge trophy haul and history of success? ..or is it that shiny Manager of the Year award for the Championship?

I get it, he's an easy target to focus on, but give me a break. He's still going to have to deal with whether we start Zusi or Tim Ream at RB when Yedlin is hurt and that is not what is holding our country back.

Our issue is more about developing players - we don't. The fact that countries with a quarter of our budget and population can field teams better than us is appalling and it has nothing to do with the manager. Arena's tactics and selections aren't what's hurting us. It's the fact we've never had a creative attacking midfielder. Or a deadly #9. Or wingers with pace or skill. Or destroyers who protect that back line. Or a back line with any semblence of solidarity.

We may have had some of these players at different parts of our history, but never at once, and never consistently. With our resources, we need to be churning out player after player with skill sets similar to the best soccer nations. Bruce has done more and achieved more than any American coach. Roughly a 57% win record with the US with an 84-33-29 WDL. 3 Gold Cups, 5 MLS Cups, and whole host of other honors.

Give me a serious contender who understands the uniqueness of American soccer and who can fill his shoes successfully and I'll listen. Until then, give me a ********ing break with David Wagner. Were you among the group asking for Jason Kreis three seasons ago? Christ on a cracker.

deuteronomy repped this.
  14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't our overall record in European world cups something like 0-1-9 .... that one draw with Italy being our solitary point? Hopefully history is nothing to go by..

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not worth that tho and it would be pointless to hire another coach just cause of some ties he may have to the US. Plus his career is furthered better by staying in the EPL then coaching the US national team. It's not a smart move. Tata makes the most sense. He's coached at a high level internationally and club. He's currently in the MLS getting a feel for our pool and system. He coaches the type of soccer that many would like to see the US play. He'd check the most boxes the USSF would be looking for. Outside of actually being American. Yes there are better coaches out there than Tata but none that want to coach us. As much as I'd love to see Dolo coach us one day next cycle is way way too soon.

16. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Wagner checks many more boxes...
    Played for national team.
    Steeped in both German and English soccer.
    I recently listened to him being interviewed and was very impressed with what he had to say.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My lineup going forward after watching this game

--------Altidore-Wood
    -----------Pulisic--
    Arriola--Acosta-Bradley--Yedlin
    ------Besler-Gonzalez-Cameron

This team basically can't play with less than three centerbaxks because other than Cameron they all suck to varying degrees. Problem is the fullbacks are even worse. Acosta isn't ready yet but who else can help Bradley in midfield. My god the man is on an island every game.

Arriola has the speed and grit to cause lots of problems and frankly watching the game yesterday was one of the few players to not be intimidated one bit. Pulisic needs to play centrally.

This team needs defensive solidity first and everything else second.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    We are not good enough! What do you want us to do? We are a team with no brains.

19. Jlpurelove

Jlpurelove Member

Jun 3, 2016
    charlotte nc
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Amigo what happened to Brooks? Where is he? He looked good last time I saw him play for the USMNT.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol totally forgot about him since he'll probably tear a muscle within a few weeks of returning from his last muscle tear.

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't mean we should throw stupid money at a young coach just breaking through with no experience in the international game. You're also skipping over the fact that it would be a step back in his career. He just got his team promoted to the EPL. He's not leaving that. Even if money is thrown at him. It will be harder for him to get back to the EPL from the us men's national team than if he gets fired in a years time. Give it time and maybe one day he will but it won't be next cycle.

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know how you could have Gonzo in your 11, let alone the center of 3, after watching him play.

Winoman repped this.
  23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014