WC2014 Japan Projections: Squad, Coach, Formation

Discussion in 'Japan' started by AmericanKaka, Jun 29, 2010.

1. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    There is a bunch of stuff on this topic in the Paraguay match thread, but it really needs its own thread.

Let's start with the current roster and potential holdovers four years hence; ages as of 2014.

AGED OUT
    1 GK Seigo Narazaki 15 April 1976 (aged 38) 76 Nagoya Grampus
    23 GK Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi 15 August 1975 (aged 39) 116 Júbilo Iwata
    7 MF Yasuhito Endō 28 January 1980 (aged 34) 94 Gamba Osaka
    10 MF Shunsuke Nakamura 24 June 1978 (aged 35) 97 Yokohama F. Marinos
    11 FW Keiji Tamada 11 April 1980 (aged 34) 70 Nagoya Grampus
    20 MF Junichi Inamoto 18 September 1979 (aged 34) 80 Kawasaki Frontale
    22 DF Yuji Nakazawa 15 February 1978 (aged 36) 105 Yokohama F. Marinos
    8 MF Daisuke Matsui 11 May 1981 (aged 33) 23 Grenoble

PHASED OUT
    12 FW Kisho Yano 5 April 1984 (aged 30) 18 Albirex Niigata
    3 DF Yūichi Komano 25 July 1981 (aged 32) 53 Júbilo Iwata
    15 DF Yasuyuki Konno 25 January 1983 (aged 31) 37 FC Tokyo

POTENTIAL FEATURED VETERANS
    2 MF Yuki Abe 6 September 1981 (aged 32) 45 Urawa Red Diamonds
    4 DF Marcus Tulio Tanaka 24 April 1981 (aged 33) 39 Nagoya Grampus

POTENTIAL VETERAN BACKUPS
    13 DF Daiki Iwamasa 30 January 1982 (aged 32) 2 Kashima Antlers
    14 MF Kengo Nakamura 31 October 1980 (aged 33) 47 Kawasaki Frontale
    16 FW Yoshito Ōkubo 9 June 1982 (aged 32) 49 Vissel Kobe

BACKUPS IN THEIR PRIME
    9 FW Shinji Okazaki 16 April 1986 (aged 28) 28 Shimizu S-Pulse

FEATURED IN THEIR PRIME
    5 DF Yuto Nagatomo 12 September 1986 (aged 27) 26 FC Tokyo
    6 DF Atsuto Uchida 27 March 1988 (aged 26) 31 Kashima Antlers
    17 MF Makoto Hasebe (c) 18 January 1984 (aged 30) 31 Wolfsburg
    18 MF Keisuke Honda 13 June 1986 (aged 27) 15 CSKA Moscow
    19 FW Takayuki Morimoto 7 May 1988 (aged 26) 6 Catania
    21 GK Eiji Kawashima 20 March 1983 (aged 31) 10 Kawasaki Frontale

OTHER CANDIDATES AGED OUT
    Ishikawa - 33
    Ono - 35
    Maeda - 32
    Sato -32

OTHER CANDIDATES IN THEIR PRIME
    Hirayama 6 June 1985 (aged 29)
    Kagawa (age 25)
    Kanazaki - 25
    Makino - 27

OTHER UP-AND-COMERS
    I'll leave that list to others

Here's my approach: start with the pieces that will definitely be in place for 2014, choose a suitable formation, then pick a coach who will do the best with that formation.

Because the sidebacks are Japan's strongest established position, and I see no reason that Tulio can't still be leading the backline at 33, it means four at the back is the way to stay. Because of that, and because Nagatomo and Uchida are quick and relentless two-way players, there is never going to be a problem with width. That is good because Japan lacks great wingers. So we will want a narrow formation that congests the midfield for the opponent and allows Japan's intricate passing game to flourish.

The next element is Honda, who should be featured as a Zidane-like #10 to make the most of his abilities. The question is whether to play him off one striker or two. That is hard to answer definitively now since there is a promising crop of young strikers, but I see the ideal as having a classic 9 and 11 who are modern in the sense of doing lots of pressing. I still believe Hirayama will come good in the end as a 9. Morimoto is the more obvious pick. Usami is my pick for the 11... potentially Japan's David Villa.

That leaves three players in the central midfield. My choice is Hasebe as the anchor (or possibly Abe... he finally became the player I long ago thought he was destined to be in this World Cup, and 32 is not too old), with Kagawa and Kanazaki .

4-3-1-2
    Hirayama, Usami
    Honda
    Kanzaki, Hasebe, Kagawa
    Nagatomo, Tulio, Makino, Uchida
    Kawashima

With Usami and Honda's versatile gifts, this formation can morph dynamically into a Christmas-tree 4321.

What is the best coach for a formation like this? As crazy cool as it would be to see what he would do with Japan, obviously not Bielsa.

Well, nobody does four-back soccer with attacking fullbacks like the Brazilians.
    Dunga remains my first choice.
    He can build on the defensive solidity and relentless pressing that Okada has, astonishingly, imparted to the culture of the national team, while achieving the proper tactical shape and mental preparation to make the best of a set of very gifted players.

2. mushu21

mushu21 Member

May 18, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unless Brazil wins this WC and Dunga "want a new challenge", I don't see why he will choose Japan

One thing to agree : avoid Bielsa at all cost. He's Zico mkII.
    I think it depends on Japan's race to host WC 2018 alot.

3. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Dunga played in Japan and even wrote a book for the Japanese about how to improve their game. he is often quoted as one of the most influential foreign players ever in J.League. So, could be reason #1.

Reason #2 might start with "$"...

ANY coach would come to Japan if the offer is right.

The ones I would avoid are former coaches and Eriksson.
    My favorites, still Dunga and Peckerman.

4. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I say, well we're not having our 2014 manager named until after the AC2011 apparently. So I say get Akira Nishino from now, til the end of the Asian Cup and see how he does.

The fact that the Asian Cup is in 6 months time to me makes it a bit of a joke an difficult to take really seriously as an international tournament, so soon after the FWC. Really the only good thing about that would maybe be a 2013 Confed Cup berth and not having to qualify for the next AC.

I don't like Oswaldo Oliveira for JNT manager, at least not as a "cup" manager, league manager he's great but not as a cup winner I don't think. Speaking of which notice no Kashima players got any time in South Africa?

Importantly good for Takeshi Okada was that he talked in the post-paraguay interview about this being a little disappointing which I think as far as growing Japanese football is important to reflect on a R16 performance as not exactly success, rather a 6pt group stage can be reflected upon as a 'par' performance.

5. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I can't see Nishino leaving Gamba for a temp job. I'm not even sure he'd leave to be the guaranteed NT manager?

But I agree on Asia11... I see it more as an opportunity for experimentation and bringing new blood into the fold. I could care less about winning it. Get out of the group and let's see what some young blood can do up front.

6. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Narazaki and Kawaguchi are both goalkeepers, so 38 and 39 aren't ages where they have the be "aged out." If they're still performing at a top level, they should still be in contention.

Mark Schwarzer is 37, Edwin van der Sar is 39. Those two are classic examples that age doesn't affect a goalkeeper's performance, and van der Sar retired from national duty by choice. That position is like wine; it gets better with age.

7. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I know its a snowballs chance in hell but wasn't there some scuttle about Arsene Wenger after AC2011?

That along with the completely unexpected 10 million euro bid for Morimoto after he hasn't done sh!t in the world cup. I dunno it just seems suspicious to me, suspect a connection even if it is weak. Why would such a sincere offer be made for Morimoto otherwise? He is not worth that much for anybody lets face it he's worth maybe 5 million euro at the very very most. Honda was bought for 8 million euro and his market value would be heaps better right now.

8. komina12345

komina12345 Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Anyone else feeling like Captain Honda or Captain Tulio?

9. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    captain Tulio FTW!!

10. Premiere

Premiere Member

May 23, 2005
    The urgent task is to pick up good defenders.

11. mushu21

mushu21 Member

May 18, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Honda is like Nakata, never be captain.
    If any of young CBs is as good as I have read in this forum, he should be captain.

12. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think Hasebe was a perfect captain. He is balanced, experienced and plays in the middle of the field.
    I really liked his words after the tournament. He thanked the teammates, the staff, the fans -- and made it clear nobody should blame Komano (but he didn't call him by name).

Hasebe is the man.

13. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of Dunga......he's getting alot of criticism in Brazil because of his style so even if he wins, I doubt he's the guy in 2014.

Maybe he'd even have guys like Nanami and Kawagughi on his staff which would be good because we need guys ready to take over in 2018 and 2022.

14. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So okay, if we assume Tulio can continue.

We've got Nagatomo---Tulio---???---Uchida wiht Kawashima in goals.

Side-backs aren't an issue. For the last CB spot. We could have

My list in order of preference: Yoshida, Iwamasa.

These two could step into the 2010 FWC starting XI and probably hold their own (both still much less than Yuji obviously). But they're much closer to the finished product right now. Next would be Makino.

My biggest thing with picking CB's for Japan is. I think the reason JNT of 2010 wasn't outmuscled so much against physically stronger opponents, and why they weren't overpowered, was because we had two CB's that refused to get beaten physically. Basically I wouldn't like to have any CB in the team that is shorter than 185cm and preferably close or above 80kg. Both Yoshida and Iwamasa satisfy both criteria as well as both being very good defenders. But Makino has the cojones to do a similar job even if he is a little shorter.

If we have Yoshida starting its a better prospect for the future hes only 21 atm. Also already in Europe so he has the potential if he plays his cards right to be a 100 cap player for Japan.

But gotta remember, this defence japan had was world class. It was absolutely champion stuff how Nakazawa played after his form slump in J.League and pre-WC games. Perhaps possibly the best defence we'll see for a long long time. This defence was the best any asian side has ever sent to a world cup before without doubt.

15. nakata101

nakata101 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    My wife like him...i m just realize only my wife mention he look like Donnie Yen the Hong Kong actor. I think Hasebe should be no problem to keep his armband until he retired.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. defunct

defunct Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio
    Well said, I agree 100%.

Damn, the next four year run is going to be very exciting time, plus even more provided Japan gets a good coach. :cool:

17. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I ABSOLUTELY want Makino.
    Athleticism, skill, guts, charisma, goals, fun... He is the new Tulio, but for a few years he can team-up with him.

Also, please a chance to Nozawa.
    He deserves it.

The real problem are the forwards. If Okazaki and Maeda (??) are not effective in important games, I see no reasons not to give chances to the youngsters. Miyayoshi is 17, but playing MUCH LESS has scored the same number of goals than Tamada and Okubo, and two more than Yano (playing for... Kyoto Sanga!)...
    Morimoto, of course a starter, hopefully with Kagawa, and don't forget Sato.

Ono would have been great at this WC, now really too old for the next cycle.

Among the goalies, check out Albirex' Higashiguchi.

18. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Higashiguchi
    Uchida, Yoshida, Tulio, Nagatomo
    Yamamura, Hasebe
    Honda, Shibasaki, Usami
    Watanabe

19. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yonezawa as well seemed VERY promising.
    Hope he recovers well...

20. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Yonezawa ... I'm sorry can you give his first name ? I don't remember him.

21. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Fixed!

22. Kashiwagi

Kashiwagi Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Paris
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    -----------Kawashima-------------
    Uchida - Tulio - Yoshida - Nagatomo
    Honda - Hasebe - Kashiwagi - Kagawa
    ------------Kajiyama---------------
    ------------Morimoto---------------

One day... :cool:

23. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hmmmm.....

I think you meant FC Tokyo's Takuji Yonemoto.

Well, he is my favourite as a defensive midfielder for the future, but who knows, many things will be changed in 4 years time!!

After the 2006 WC, there was hardly anyone who knows anything about Nagatomo, who was one of our best performers at the 2010 WC, so you can't really guess who should represent Japan at the next WC, especially with the rapid emerging of talented youngsters.

24. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought Yoshida transferred to VVV just so they could get another japanese player. But he is really that good? Or you guys just wish he will be so he can replace Nakazawa?

25. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    He's very good. Tall, powerful, with a lot of skills on the ball. Very promising.