WC draw thread-predictions and analysis.

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Jaison, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herewego

herewego Member

Jun 1, 2004
    First round looks rather easy, but i´m afraid that we are in the wrong halve of the board.

To reach the final we have to fight with some of these teams:

England, Sweden, Holland, Argentinia, Portugal, Mexiko.

The Brazilian halve seems much easier to me.

2. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    Yes, thats pretty tough. Especially England. I wanted them at the final, not that early.

You need quality or organization to beat germany. Im not afraid of Costa Rica or Ecuador.

3. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    nice draw! germany should be good for a QF berth, provided england dont ******** up their own group and come in 2nd... sweden should be possible to handle in the 2nd round and of course, i see germany topping the group! :cool:

4. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I think this is crap. Realistically the chances were always very good that we would make it out of the group, but meeting England or Sweden in the second round is worse than I thought. I would have preferred a bigger team in the group and an easier one in the second round. Naja, schaunmermal.

5. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    You want our group instead?

6. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Hmm... well at least if you make it through your group you'll face Mexico, Portugal, Angola or Iran.. not so bad. But sure, the USA got the rotten end of the stick in the draw... sorry.

BTW do you know anything about canoeing in Canada? Just planning next year's summer holiday and looking at Algonquin National Park which seems really nice. Have you been there by any chance?

7. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    I think we will face Brazil if we finish second.

8. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC

we have to get out of the group to play those teams. But, heh, if we want respect, we are going to have to play those teams anyway. Not impossible, but very hard

No I have not been to Algonquin, but looks very nice. Canoeing is always much fun.

9. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Yep my mistake, it's E vs F so you are up against Brazil, Croatia, Japan, Australia. Oh dear.

10. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    which potentially makes the US group the real Group of Death.

11. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Yes who knows. I will support the Czechs and you guys to advance from the group... let's hope it helps. I think Italy is easier than Brazil, Argentina or England so it could be worse. In fact, your group is probably the most evenly matched one. Should be interesting.

12. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    I just realized, that if Germany and England win their group they will only maybe meet at the Final. Not earlier.

The route until then should be nice. Sweden. Holland. Italy.

13. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    I guess I can take comfort in that I am sure they are not overly happy in Italy and the Czech Republic as well. :p

You know what, I just want us to put up a good show. No shame going out to those teams, just so we don't roll over.

14. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I agree. And we've seen in the past that you tend to do well against 'big' teams anyway. Should be fun!

15. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so what was up with those germany-bashing comments by balboa and wynalda? balboa is a meathead, but wynalda i respect and he was even more scathing and dismissive in his comments about german football AND the people/culture...

some bitterness, maybe? cos germany has effectively scuppered the US challenge in the past two world cups?

i found that the most interesting section of the entire draw coverage...

good to see that beasley and ralston had their heads screwed on straight, though... at least, they gave the germans respect...

16. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    What were they saying anyways?

17. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They were going through the big teams and saying whether they are contenders or pretenders. They labeled the US contenders to win the WC and Germany as pretenders saying that not even Klinsman can save this squad....freaking fools, what do they know!

18. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We have to top our grop, we got the easiest draw of any seeded team but yea, Sweden or England would be a tough task. Sweden always does well in the group stages and their squad got better in the last four years as well.

Well...if we are going to win it, we'll have to get through the best teams, thats all there is to it.

I just hope the easy group won't let the boys feeling too easy once they get out of the group stages.

19. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

wynalda also said that 'having played in germany, i know their mentality and how things work there... theres too much expectation, theyre too fragile, they cannot handle it... i have a good understanding of the players and i just dont see it - not even klinsmann can save these guys'

w4nk3r!

20. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    So what did he say about that?

21. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

To be honest that's exactly what many Germans think as well, you just have to go through the thread in this forum and you'll find many posts saying that!

22. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so hes right in saying that germans are mainly fragile pansies with no self-belief...?

guess i owe him an apology then...

theres a guy from hannover at my workplace (not exactly hannover, he said) and he didnt take very kindly to those dismissive comments...

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's no expert on German football ok? I think we can all agree on that. It was just him and his dumb glorification of the USA.

According to him the USA have a better chance of winning the WC than Germany or France, nevermind Italy, Holland, Spain and the Czechs who he didn't even mention.

24. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

i post on another forum as (you know about it, i think) and the US-based germans there were pretty irritated as well...

25. herewego

herewego Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Let them have their little germany bashing. We know who laughs at last.

Opinionmakers in US are not very objective about Germany this days, even if it´s about sports.
    Today I read an pre article about the worldcup draw on foxsport, in which the author really stated, that germany has not enough money to build a new stadium in Berlin, therefore renovated the old olympic. What an idiot, a journalist could and should know, that it was an political decision to rebuild the olympic stadium at a cost of 276 mil €. With 276 mil € you could build almost an Allianz Arena or an AufSchalke Arena plus a 50.000 seater in Mönchengladbach. But what do I expect from fox.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5151030