WC 2018 Qualifier vs. Spain

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by sempreITALIA, Sep 22, 2016.

1. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    #76 mikeyjames, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    you will be labeled a balotelli fan boy by his haters on here for that comment hahahaha any idiot can see balotti and balotelli should be leading the line for the Azzurri. Then again what do I know right ? I'm just a balotelli fan boy hahaha I'm sure eder and immobile will score a brace in the upcoming games. H
    You do know the red against balotelli will be rescinded right ? Calm down there buddy. It's ok I understand you hate the man but just relax. http://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=http://www.football-italia.net/92435/balotelli-red-be-rescinded#article/footballitalia-92435 I guess the haters will call verratti a balotelli fan boy too after saying this hahaha http://www.italianfootballdaily.com/verratti-balotelli-reborn/

2. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Do you watch many games or just check stats? Insigne started the season, was average, Mertens came in, played well (the game he stared at Sarri) and has owned the position since. He also starts in the CL games (including the one this past week).

Calcio Pauly and Nek Sanalet repped this.
  3. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bingo... especially against Spain. The game vs them in the Euro we won most of the aerial 50/50 balls.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  4. thorus

thorus Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm willing to give Ventura the benefit of the doubt for the Spain game, and if the team wins the new faces will make an appearance in future matches.

However, if the team loses, or possibly even ties, with Spain, I'm afraid Ventura will just stick with the tried and tested; no matter how mediocre that team may be.

5. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    They will stick with this group either way. The few new players ventura added will be riding the bench to be used as late subs. I've seen this picture before from the old heads calling the shots behind closed doors. They will stick with players like Monto come hell or high water.

6. thorus

thorus Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    To be fair, Prandelli did try to inject younger/newer players on the NT. Unfortunately, most of them didn't pan out.

But, I'm with you, if there are no changes after the Spain game, then, the NT will be stuck in mediocrity for a while, I'm afraid.

7. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    some people hate on Prandelli, but a lot of players got a chance when he was the manger. The people calling the shot's now are hard headed. Like I said I would not be shocked to see Zaza back in the squad soon. They recycle the same players that fail time after time. Eder starting spot is set in stone for some unknown reason. Like I said belotti will handing out water bottles on the bench. Anybody that think's he will be in the starting 11 is just fooling themselves. They already got their starting core.

8. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think Ventura did hint that he might start Belotti and Immobile together in one game. I'm assuming it won't be Spain. Since they both played together, and Ventura coached them, there might be less need for adjustment with that duo (though I rather see someone else partner Belotti in a 3 5 2).

9. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm assuming he doesn't watch many games. Mertens has been far superior.

10. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Balo's problem is and always will be his work ethic and control of his temper. He has neither. He doesn't want to be the best in the world. He'd rather spend his time off today visiting the Ferrari plant and BSing around rather than training hard.

The thing about Balotelli that I find most interesting is the myth that he's a great player. He's not. He's skilled but he doesn't have a good left foot, he's imprecise around goal, and he is inconsistent in his dribbling.

11. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're obviously arithmetically challenged. He's started more games and had more time on the field. Fact.
    If you think Mertens owns the position and Insigne is on the outer you need to talk to a ten year old and ask them to explain inequality to you.

Rosay repped this.
  12. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've seen all the performances of both players for Napoli this season. Both players have been very good which is probably why Sarri is keen to rotate both players through the position so he can maintain their form.

13. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Insigne has had the bulk of the playing time. Which perplexes me because Mertens is better.

14. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Dude, you failed to post the CL minutes. You already knew you were wrong and had to doctor the stats. Either way, your original statement "Insigne is keeping Mertens out of the side" is nonsense.

Calcio Pauly and sempreITALIA repped this.
  15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Guys Insigne and Mertens are around the same level, please stop comparing them. Every season, one of them will turn out better than the other, its just how it is. Last season Insigne got the better, this season Mertens is getting the better so far. They are around the same, but both are in form at different times.

The only thing is that both of them are extremely underrated.

16. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Started more games in Serie A, yes. In the CL, Mertens has started both games. Total matches played (Insigne: 9; Mertens: 8). A bit like splitting hairs, so play fair with your arithmetic Da Vinci. Also, in all honesty, at the beginning of the campaign it was Insigne's position outright to lose. The fact that Mertens has superceded him in Sarri's opinion for the big boy matches (CL) is some sort of concession that even the most devout Insigne-fan-boy must accept.

From a national team perspective, when Berardi is finally integrated into the national side Insigne's chances of making the roster will dwindle even further. And don't come back with Berardi is RW and Insigne is a LW. That is irrelevant. At the end of the day, there simply isn't room for him on the national team until he picks his game up. He's too comfortable with the player he is. Hardly the attitude of a champion. The future is now for Insigne. He is 25 and his place in the Napoli side should be undisputed at this point. He shouldn't be caught in debates about whether or not sharing time with another player constitutes "ownership" of a position on the field. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet without a doubt, but instead, he is constantly sharing time with Mertens (See above: 8 games vs 9 games, math boy). So if he is in fact the "owner" (as you alluded to in your comment) of the LW for Napoli, then why all of the confusion? Seems more like a "co-ownership" to me and thats just simply not good enough.

Nek Sanalet repped this.
  17. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Romagnoli looks to start against Spain. Excited for the lad

18. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was talking about Serie A. If you include Champions League Insigne still has more time on the field and more starts.
    Insigne is keeping Mertens out of the side. Mertens is a top player and if Insigne is can limit his playing time at all (eg see Giakk v Hamsik) then he must be doing something right.

19. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #94 totti fan, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    I'm not a fan-boy. I was originally responding to the claim that Insigne has been garbage which is ludicrous.

I never said Insigne > Mertens nor did I say that Mertens was out of favour.
    If you want to "split hairs" about whether "keeping a player out of the side" is consistent with "co-ownership" then it becomes a matter of semantics and I'm not going to waste my time.

20. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    I know. I just post stuff to bate his haters out. Any ways Insigne is better option than immobile any day of the week .

Rosay and totti fan repped this.
  21. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    #96 mikeyjames, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    These guys on here can call me a Balotelli fan Boy as much as they like. But when players like Buffon, pirlo, verratti ect are basically saying he's our best striker then I will be a fan boy. Another balotelli fan boy for you haters https://t.co/zg1qyrUyMV when you have a bunch of players talking about a player that's not even in the team and saying they want him on the team then what does that tell you ? Verratti said balotelli is the best striker he has ever played with on national team. People hate on Balo, but refuse to listen to the players that actually train with him. These players are telling you this guy is a good striker. Yet you have people that still hate. Have you heard any of these players speak on any of our strikers as much as they speak on ballotelli ? (Cricket sound) that tell's you that they all know what he can do if his head is right. You have players like pirlo and Buffon saying this guy is a big talent. these are older players that seen our strikers at that position. Keep hating! These players I hope he comes back to the national team. What does that tell you ? They know what he can do, they've seen his talent compare to what we have now. Yet you haters act like you know. I'll listen to pirlo & Buffon over any of you haters. Call me a fan boy all you like.

22. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I had real high hopes for Insigne. Last season he really took a step up and evolved... but then seemed to plateau 2nd half. Now Merterns has taken the preferred spot for CL. I'm worried for his development because his current level won't be enough for a national team spot.

Balo was saying he was still angry at Prandelli for replacing him against Uruguay (did he mean Costa Rica?). Harsh on Prandelli. He's one of the only Italian coaches who would put faith in him--most others send you packing if you mess around in training. Things can turn quick though. A couple bad results in qualification and Ventura will have to re-access.

23. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Again.
    Mertens has more big game experience than Insigne. ie internationals etc. He is more likely to keep a level head on a big occasion so is the go to for CL.
    Insigne is playing well enough to get called for the NT. At this point the decision to leave him out is most probably informed by tactics.

Rosay repped this.
  24. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I like Balotelli and hope he returns. A great talent but your still a fan boy

Nek Sanalet repped this.
  25. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    The "hate" for Balotelli is well-founded. He is a distraction on and off the pitch. He was once touted as one of the most promising strikers in the world. Now, his conduct has left him off the radar of the top clubs. He went from playing for the likes of Inter (when they were still good), Man City, Milan, and Liverpool to Nice. That Nice was the only side willing to take a chance on him speaks wonders. He has no one to blame but himself.

You are arguing that a number of his national team teammates have said how good he is. I don't think anyone here disputes that he has talent. That said, the part that you left out was how critical his NT teammates were of him after the World Cup failure. It almost never happens that teammates throw one another under the bus. That speaks volumes about Balotelli's conduct and character.

I'm happy to hear he is doing well at Nice. I wouldn't write him off the NT picture because he is still young and has talent. However, until he cleans up his act, Ventura would be absolutely justified to not call him back into this side.