WC 2018 Qualifier vs. Spain

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by sempreITALIA, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Immobile scored last game. Give him a break

2. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    If I'm a young Italian striker in Serie A and I'm playing decent, scoring goals and I see Pelle's name on that list am f@$&ing pissed right now. How do you reward a player playing in these Chinese league that has no goals to his name a spot ? Is this where Italian football is heading ? Might as well start calling up Serie B players.

3. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    #28 mikeyjames, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Come on man that was a scrub team that we should have destroyed. Both his goals came off scrub teams. He came on late in the game and ran pass a couple scrubs that were already cramping up Smh immoble has done nothing other put the ball in Row Z time after time. The only team calling up players that's been has poor has he has are teams using players in the middle eastern league and league 2 in England. Good teams are not calling strikers that has such a poor goal scoring resume for their national. Before scoring in the last game this guy's last goal for italy came in 2012. Yes 2012. Yet he was still in the squad for every game while putting the ball beside the corner flags instead of the goal. Immoble is a certified scrub for the national team. Hate on me all you want , but I'm speaking based on his lack of production. You can still say eder has been better than him in a italy jersey. He should have been dropped even before Zaza got dropped.

4. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Only disappointment for me is not seeing Jorginho in the team. I hope to see him and Verratti forming a double pivot in Italy's midfield for the next 8-10 years, but Jorginho needs his chance. Albeit, Montolivo has had a solid season so far, I just do not foresee him in Ventura's plans passed Marchisio's return date. Perhaps, he and De Rossi (whose form has been sub-par for Roma) will duke it out for that last veteran spot in midfield in the future, but Jorginho is a talent that must be considered going forward.

I love the Sansone, Romagnoli, and Criscito picks. I am indifferent to Immobile, he does nothing for me. Gabbiadini is pure talent (another Jorginho situation). Pelle must keep scoring for the national team to keep his place in the side because playing in China is amateur and his performances so far this season have been extremely underwhelming. I like Eder for his work ethic and ability to drive at defenders.

Insigne has been shit this season and has rightfully be excluded. Unfortunate for Berardi due to his prolonged injury - he could be back tomorrow against Milan, hopefully.

Stay tuned: Winter (Balotelli) is coming...

5. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think Pelle (and possibly Eder) will be dropped after Spain. The overhaul will come then. I think Ventura wants to keep some continuity from Conte's Italy for this game. I would expect Belotti to become the starting CF after Spain. Eder as a SS could still get call ups, but I wouldn't doubt if Gabbs or someone else starts filling that role, or more likely that Ventura finally goes to a front 3 with two wingers. Either way, Insigne is overrated with a bad attitude. I don't mind both him and (to a lesser extent) El Shaaraway never making the squad again. We have Bernardeschi, Sansone, and Bonaventura who could all play there.

Would like to see Jorginho and Benassi make the squad, and Berardi when he gets healthy...otherwise I can't complain with this lineup.

6. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    My question how to you explain the pelle pick to a young Italian striker busting his behind to put out the italy jersey ? Is it about being in form or simply favouritism ? How do you look at an Italian forward on the top of the scoring list in Serie A and say you're not good enough, but Pelle who has yet to score in the Chinese league get's a call over you hahaha Just flat out madness. Once i saw Monto there again I knew it was really a monkey picking names out of a hat over there.

7. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #32 sempreITALIA, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016

Benassi is quality. Wouldn't mind him instead of Parolo in the future. Going forward, I also wouldn't mind seeing a Belotti - Balotelli tandem up top with Berardi or Bernardeschi (or Verdi ;)) in the trequartista/freedom-to-roam role behind them. Both Balotelli and Belotti are natural goal scorers, agile, and mobile. Neither are the typical static CF (alla Pelle).

Hopefully, Balotelli can keep it up. I have watched 3 of his games since he has arrived in Nice (Ligue 1 and Europa League) and he has the bit between his teeth. Good riddance to the Balotelli of old that stood and waited for service. He now puts the work in.

afar and Rosay repped this.
  8. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm surprised Ventura hasn't selected Benassi yet. I figured him and Baselli would at least get called up by now. Zappacosta on the other hand has been relegated to the bench at Torino. I think all three could get a look, but yeah, Benassi is the prime guy from Torino's midfield to deserve it most.

I think it's pretty likely that Ventura goes 4 3 3 or 3 4 3 after Spain. That should open the door for a bunch of these wingers to finally get a chance. Pelle and Eder will either vanish from the squad or become periphery players at that point. I doubt we see Belotti and Balotelli playing at the same time though. I like that pairing way more than Pelle and Eder, but I'm all for dropping 3 5 2 after Spain. And that formation is the only way I see those two guys playing together.

The explanation is that he's comfortable in 3 5 2/Conte's system, and that he's got the most experience right now in terms of big games. Your one fixture short of having a good argument. I think if we still see him after Spain, then I will join you in complaining about his inclusion. Like I told Semprel, it's a bad idea shaking things up now. Conte did poorly with younger players, I think Ventura fixes that, but Spain is not the time to do it. He himself said he had little time to implement his philosophies on the squad.

9. thorus

thorus Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    --other--

What if Pelle scores against Spain? Or, God forbid, scores twice!!!!!!!!!:eek:

10. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ya but Pelle is scoring almost everytime he puts on the azzurri shirt

mikeyjames, totti fan and Deleted User x repped this.
  11. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    And Immobile seems to be putting them in consistently for Lazio

12. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Anyone know how Sansone is doing at Villarreal? How come he got the call?

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was wondering this as well.

14. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The last time those two started against Spain we won. ;)

calabrese8 and Rosay repped this.
  15. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Played every league game and is leading scorer with 4 goals in a side that is two points off top spot.

Soriano has played in every league game too btw.

Deleted User x and Rosay repped this.
  16. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Immobile a very good player off the bench when the other team is chasing the game. Would never start him though.

17. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I suspect he'll just stay with 3-5-2. The Juve bloc + Florenzi kind of determine the backline, but whether he modifies up front will depend on how he sees Verratti's role.

If Verratti is used in an advanced/b2b role, it'll mean 2 strikers, with Sansone/Berardi playing off the No. 9.
    If Verratti is partnered with a DM like Jorghino, they could play 3 up front but maybe that midfield would be too lightweight.
    Hopefully he is not used as a regista again. It worked ok against Israel but it's not the best role for him.

18. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    #43 mikeyjames, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Their selection process still Make's no sense and show favouritism. So my question is how do they even pick players ? Pelle can't score in china but he scores in the azzurri shit, immobile does nothing in a italy jersey, but is scoring at lazio right ? This is just a contradiction of each other. I feel like their selections have nothing to do with being in form. It's all favouritism and nothing to do with Italians that's actually playing at their best. This just sends a bad message to young Italians playing in Serie A. All it shows them is their best is not good enough when the staff is set on certain players like Monto, Eder,Pelle ect. What has Monto done to deserve a call up yet again ? What ? This just tells young players that getting to the national team is a glass ceiling. players that just sh*t the bed at their club team in a crappy league can just walk ahead of them and put on a azzurri jersey. Pelle is pulling a balotelli at liverpool In a league that's even worst. Balo didn't deserve a call when he was putting it in row z at liverpool, but pelle does while doing the same thing in china ? It makes no sense. I mean u can say pelle scores in a azzurri jersey, but so did balotelli. You can't reward 1 player for playing crap in china while telling players like giovinco you can't get a call when he was banging in goals. Giovinco is playing in MLS and scoring, but he's not good enough ? Pelle is playing in china while putting it in row z, but his jersey is always there. Their selection has nothing to do with being in form. If this keeps up then Italians playing in other countries with citizenship in that country will start jumping ship. It sends a bad massage to young Italian players. My question is how do you even get into the team ? How ? When players playing like sh*t in a sh*t league thats probably at the same level as Serie B are walking pass players playing better in Serie A.

19. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Club form doesn't translate into country form, just ask Di Natale

20. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    So true.

I'm not complaining. I like Pelle.

totti fan and Rosay repped this.
  21. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    This is a contradiction of everything you've said. Ok then how is immobile always in the team then ? Since club contribution doesn't always mean anything then how is he in the team ? He has 2 goals for italy in how many games ? He was getting called up even when his last goal came 2012. So what were they judging him on ? Fact is the selection for the national team is a complete joke! There is no real selection process. These guy are just picking the same players over and over and only changing 1 or 2 based on injuries and suspension. Not only that, but I would not be surprised if immobile is ahead of belotti in the pecking order. It's all favouritism.

22. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    it's not about not liking him. It's about how are they telling players like seba he can't get a call, but call pelle who is playing in china and can't buy a goal ? How are they going to tell players like Rossi, el shaarawy and balotelli that they need to do more for a call when they are probably thinking are you f$@king joking. All they have to do is point a finger at pelle and eder. how are you going to tell jorginho he needs to do more when he's looking at Monto getting a call up and probably playing time at that. It makes no sense for the staff to tell any player they need to do more for call up. It's a total contradiction of what they're doing. It seems like certain players have to do way more just to warm the bench. The way they're acting you would think this group of player's already won something.

23. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    #48 mikeyjames, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    I said it before and I'll say it again. Conte still has his hands on this team and he's probably helping Ventura with these selections. After all he never lost the job. All these players are Conte players and the fact they got picked again while ignoring what they're doing at their Club is such a Conte move. Conte played favouritism like nobody else. Belotti better hope he gets a chance to prove him self because the moment Zaza bags a couple goal he's getting dropped for him. He picked basically the same players that struggled to beat a scrub team in our last game. Yes Monto is the answer in the midfield. If we lose to Spain Ventura needs to get ripped and rightfully so. If anybody think belotti is coming in to get any real minutes then you're fooling yourself. He's 4 option after immobile.

24. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    I hear what you're saying. Perhaps Ventura is going strictly buy chemistry at this early stage of his Azzurri career.
    As far as Giovinco and Pelle, you can't compare their roles.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy