WC 2018, Group A: Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Uruguay

Discussion in 'GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia' started by Philip J. Fry, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ahh ok did not know that. I was just judging from the game in Africa Cup.

2. mr cricket

mr cricket Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What's with all the hype for a mediocre team like Egypt?

1) Uruguay
    2) Russia
    3) Egypt
    4) Saudi Arabia

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They hype for Egypt comes with their style of game, the way they looked in the African Cup of Nations and qualifying and a player like Salah who is scoring lots of nice goals at Liverpool.

Russia looked bad at the Euro and a little below average in the Confederations.

4. mr cricket

mr cricket Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Egypt seems like a one man team to me.They haven't shown anything other than beating bunch of crappy African teams and Ghana.

I seriously doubt they are going to beat Russia at their own home.

Emerican repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They look like a better team than Russia to me and have individuals who can make things happen in a close game.
    They do not have to beat Russia to advance but it would not shock me if they did find a way to win. I think they have more quality and a lot less pressure.

TheHitman47 and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Egypt is really a mediocre team, and @mr cricket is right. Salah is a good player, but keep in mind at Liverpool he has a team behind him especially in attack. He won't have that with Egypt. The only other player thats really good is Elneny. I really don't see them beating Russia at home to second place. If this was in Africa, I'd say they have a bigger chance.

Please stop saying Home advantage does not matter. It does quite a bit. I have seen it. Not as much as some people say but it is still an advantage. Also part of home advantage is you often get favorable decisions by the refs.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    When it comes to Russia I think home field could be more of a disadvantage due to the political pressure. Also, Egypt are so happy and joyful and passionate to be in this tournament after the long wait. In general Russians are more aloof, apathetic and don't have any expectations whatsoever it seems.

But whatever, we will see which teams actually show up and play. If Russia can get some home cooking and get inspired they can progress.
    People are asking why Egypt is getting hype though and the question was answered.

TheHitman47 and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  8. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Umm they came second at the recent AFCON, they have beaten Morocco and Ghana twice in the past year and a half. They also beat out Nigeria to qualify for that tournament. That's certainly far more than Russia has done, a team who cannot even beat Iran at home and lost to even Costa Rica at home. A team who finished dead last in their Euro 2016 group, a group that was mediocre to put it lightly.

The crappy team based on results is Russia.

TheHitman47 and Pipiolo repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #34 HomietheClown, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Hmmmm.

I think they are about even when they both are fully healthy. IT is difficult to separate the two based on qualifying. You mentioned that Suarez and Cavani were missing but you fail to mention that James was missing in the first match and the Colombian back four was totally different than what it was in the Copa America just a few months before. That takes an adjustment.

Within the second match James, Falcao and Cuadrado were missing. So it is wash as they say.

They are about as even as you can get going into the World Cup in my book.

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  10. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Watching Mohammed Sarah tear the EPL apart. Currently being victimized are Everton. I am so happy that we will see Salah at the WC!

11. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Even maybe, but that guy said Colombia is better. Which isn’t true. The table even reflects that. Colombia isn’t the only one that went through changes Uruguay’s whole midfield has changed no more 33 year olds like Arévalo Rios or Alvaro Gonzalez. Full backs have changed as well and I’m pretty sure Cáceres was missing in the game in Colombia. And Uruguay finally has a genuine number 10 in De Arrascaeta. Colombia is a good solid team but I don’t think you’re as good attacking wise as you were last World Cup

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Last World Cup we did not have Falcao. I believe that he is the heart and soul of the team and is ready to show the world what he is made of.
    Last World Cup James was just learning how to play on a big stage, now he has more experience.
    But hey, if someone says Colombia is better than Uruguay it is something subjective and an argument that can be made. Colombia can keep the ball better than Uruguay in the midfield from what I have seen time and time again (as we saw in Brazil) that can be the difference this time around too. But if Uruguay plays the way they can and their style of game is the focus (Physicality, set pieces, good counters) I can see them winning too.

13. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I don’t say that because of the players but more so because Pekerman seems to be getting even more cautious with his game plan, but for whatever reason I just don’t think Colombia is as scary going forward as before. Not sure if you had many big wins in qualifying? But that can change of course. With the change in midfield Uruguay has been a lot better in keeping the ball. Vecino, Valverde, Bentancur and even Torreira as well as De Arrascaeta and Pereiro are all very good ball players. We’ll ll see still a while to go. I do agree though overall the two teams are pretty even

14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the ref's gonna join the Russian front line and score the goals himself, there's little he'll be able to do to help. Russia aren't even close to Uruguay's level, home cooking or no home cooking. I'd expect something closer to this:

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  15. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Who is the Forlan of Uruguay these days however? Someone mentioned De Arrascaeta, but IMO De Arrascaeta is a poor man's Forlan, at best.

16. mr cricket

mr cricket Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    #41 mr cricket, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Lol Uruguay got smashed by Costa Rica in the last World Cup. Upsets happen all the time in football, mate.

Is it just me or is Russia is ridiculously underestimated? People are acting like they are San Marino or something, when they are actually a mid-tier team.

Nani_17 repped this.
  17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know and to point out they didn't do that bad in the 2017 Confederations Cup. Portugal and Mexico were better teams, but Russia did play well in many of the games and were not easy opponents.

18. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    2014's Costa Rica was much better than this Russia, though.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  19. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I’m not underestimating Russia, I think they’ll be the hardest team in the group

20. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah it's kinda silly how Russia is viewed. I mean they aren't great or even good but they are still half decent, and with home field they should get out of this group. Uruguay is probably imo the most overrated team in the world right now. Don't want to start anything or get people upset, this is just my humble opinion. After WC 18, I think we will learn Russia can be decent and Uruguay is only slightly better than average and certainly not top tier. The battle between the 3 teams should be interesting. Saudi Arabia is lucky to have gotten this group though they will probably still come in last, in some other groups they would be leaving with a GD of -10.

21. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    They’re completely different players that play very different positions and roles. I do miss Forlán though

22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see them at San Marino level...they're a team capable of making the big tournaments, but don't do jack once there. Or you tell me what you saw from the 2017 Confed Cup, the 2016 Euro, or the 2014 World Cup to suggest that Russia will be competitive this time around (barring some new Arshavin popping up out of nowhere).

As of right now, I have a hard time anticipating this group ending any other way than:

1. Uruguay
    2. Egypt
    3. Russia
    4. Saudi Arabia

Thezzaruz, TheHitman47 and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I agree that Uruguay are being overestimated in this group. I also agree that Russia, while nothing special, aren't crap and should be able to advance from such a favorable group overall. Overall, however, I think all teams in this group of life have a chance (even Saudi Arabia, which is clearly the weakest of the bunch and have little chance in any other group).

The most important match in this group to me will be the opener between Russia and Saudi Arabia. It will set the tone and expectations from this group. Russia will clearly be favored to win but they will need to prove it on the pitch. If they beat Saudi Arabia in the opener, they will have a good chance to advance. But if they fail against Saudi Arabia, I don't see them advancing.

Egypt against Uruguay will also be very interesting. I expect a draw but if there is a winner, the edge (even if not by much) would go to Uruguay. But clearly Egypt can beat Uruguay as well.

As for Russia v Egypt, to me the edge would go to Russia but not by much. I don't expect Egypt to win against Russia regardless. The most likely outcome to me is a Russian win or a draw.

Uruguay should be able to beat Saudi Arabia, but to pretend it is a foregone conclusion is absurd. If I had to give odds, I would give them as follows: 60% Uruguay wins - 30% draw - 10% chance of even a Saudi upset.

The Saudis have even better odds against Egypt. For that match, I see the odds something like 40% chance Egypt wins, 40% chance of a draw, 20% chance of Saudi win.

I do see Uruguay as a the toughest match for the Russians and my sense is that Uruguay would be favored to win, while a draw might still be an equally likely outcome. Russia beating Uruguay would, all things being equal, appear the least likely scenario. But, of course, the result in the last match will depend in large measure also on the points each of these sides have collected up to then.

24. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

I think you are overestimating Russia and underestimating Egypt. Have you even seen Egypt play or what they can do? You just put it out because of your bias to African teams. Australia isn't that good of a team and would get spanked by all of the African teams in this competition.

Russia finished 3rd and only scored two goals at the Confederations cup. They finished last in their group in the Euros which composed of teams like a crappy England side where they got a fluke draw, Wales and Slovakia which they lost to both.

That team is GARBAGE.

Mahmoud Abdelhamid repped this.
  25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Most people seem to be under or overestimating teams in some sense. In my mind, Russia aren't anything to write home about but they aren't garbage by any means. They are exactly the kind of mediocre side that can either get or fail to get results against other such mediocre sides such as Wales or Slovakia. Or, in this group, against Egypt or even Uruguay. The Russians should beat Saudi Arabia but even that is not a foregone conclusion. Basically, the teams in this group are rather average or, in the case of Saudi Arabia, below average. Russia, as World Cup hosts, however, will likely/possibly play or get results a notch above their ordinary selves.