Wambach's book "Forward" discussion

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Sep 20, 2016.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 lil_one, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    I just finished Wambach's book Forward: A Memoir, and it does talk a lot about her struggles with alcohol and prescription drugs and it, at least in part, imo, read like her just processing through the root reasons for why she's had that struggle. However, it also includes some other insights into WNT life, too, so I started a new thread and just pulled out some quotes:

On the 2007 WWC controversy:
    "There's an unspoken code in our sport, with a few key tenets: you don't talk shit about your teammates, you don't throw anyone under the bus, and you don't publicly promote yourself at the expense of the team. The comment [Hope Solo's comment on Scurry] further derails a team that had veered off track, and when the tournament is finally over I made a promise to myself: if I'm ever forced to ride the bench, for any reason, I will not react in a manner I'll later regret."

On being co-captain with Rampone, in 2008:
    "Pearcie and I have a tacit agreement: she's the arm-banded captain, the official face of the team, the wise and calm general who dispenses strategy before battle begins. I'm her obnoxious counterpart, the trusty lieutenant who incentivizes her teammates to kill. A few of the veteran leaders, myself included, meet privately with Pia and discuss what happened at the [2007] World Cup. This team has a chemistry problem, we argue, and it's going to be a problem moving forward if we want to win games. Pia's answer is concise and leaves no room for debate: 'Hope is the goalkeeper. You guys have to figure this out and deal with it.'"

And on co-captaincy under Ellis:
    "Pearcie and I attend meetings with the coaching staff, absorb all Jill's concerns and ideas, distill them into specifics, and convey them to younger players. It's easier for Jill if the captains field doubts and complaints, if we're the bad cops delivering tough news. Her coaching style is effective--the woman knows how to win games--but noncommittal; she doesn't want to criticize her players too harshly for fear of thwarting their focus."

On Dan Borislow (besides the below quote, there's some other mentions of Dan which are almost entirely positive):
    "I like Dan and the feeling is mutual; he sees himself in me--loud and unfiltered, prone to all-night revelry and vulgar proclamations. I admire his willingness to blurt out what others are thinking, his steadfast trust in his own instincts...He bluntly inquires about our sex lives...During practice, he occasionally deems us 'f***ing idiots.' When a teammate inquires how he'd like to be addressed--Dan, Mr. Borislow, or Coach--he has a different idea, instructing her to call him 'Daddy.'"

On alcohol abuse during her career (it came in waves but she did have a strict rule against alcohol abuse during WNT camp):
    "During the countdown to the 2011 World Cup, I break my strict, career-long rule and drink during camp--not excessively, but enough to dilute any thoughts that drift away from soccer. ....I abstain only if the next day features a practice or a game or a tournament with the national team, such as the Algarve Cup, held annually in Portugal."

On her decline in performance and noticing forums:
    "My deterioration does not go unnoticed on soccer chat boards, whose members dissect our performance at the Algarve Cup with disgust: 'Not only did Abby miss a penalty kick (which makes her PK conversion rate about 50% since 2013),' says one armchair analyst, 'but her current fitness level let her squander a prime and easy tap-in for a goal. . . . I recognize her importance on the field, but when does Abby impede the future success of the USWNT?' The next commenter agrees and adds, 'I still think she's very much the heart of the team, but I think she needs to be the heart of the team from the bench. She spends more time flopping around looking for a call than she does playing soccer these days.' I have to admit it's true. If only I were half as talented at flopping around as I once was at playing soccer."

I'll admit to googling the above quotes, and they are from comments on an article on American Soccer Now: http://americansoccernow.com/articles/u-s-women-finish-7th-in-disastrous-algarve-cup

On stepping away from NWSL club play prior to the 2015 WWC:
    "I'm prepared for the criticism--why am I exempt, when my national teammates have to honor their club commitments?--but not willing to reveal the truth: my sabbatical has nothing to do with the World Cup and everything to do with my troubled marriage."

On disparities with the MNT and WNT:
    "Our coaches are not allowed to hire their preferred staff, a restriction that sets them up to fail. There are disparities in the quality of our training: the men's team travels to top facilities around the country, and their expensive equipment--specialty treadmills and weight machines--is shipped along with the team. The promotion for our team is subpar....More infuriating is the pay gap..." (And she talks about the same misleading numbers that the WNT has been putting forth.)

She also mentions initially not wanting to take part in the "fanfare of a long good-bye" alluding to the timing of her retirement being at the end of the VT not being entirely her idea.

There's a long section on her superstitions and pre-game rituals that I found interesting. If anyone wants more on that, I'll include that quote, too.

There's also a section, in which Wambach tells about a letter she wrote to the team before the 2008 Olympics after she was out with a broken leg. Its probably the longest section in which multiple WNT members are mentioned by name. Throughout the book, she usually just refers to WNT members as "a teammate" except for some references to Rampone and some about Sydney Leroux who played a pivotal role in helping Wambach process through her addictions. Sydney apparently made Wambach getting help a prerequisite of asking Wambach to be her child's godmother.

blissett, jackdoggy, Namdynamo and 5 others repped this.
  2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Good on Leroux but I couldnt think of anyone's thoughts I am less interested in hearing. Despite her immense talent she has rubbed me the wrong way for as long as I can remember. While my lasting image should be the miracle stoppage time goal against Brazil the first image that comes into my head when she is mentioned is her cheap shotting Tori Huster with an elbow to the chest as soon as the official turned her back to head up field and the smirk on her face for getting away with it.

3. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    @lil_one thank you!!

This team has a chemistry problem, we argue, and it's going to be a problem moving forward if we want to win games. Pia's answer is concise and leaves no room for debate: 'Hope is the goalkeeper. You guys have to figure this out and deal with it.'"

1. I love Scandinavians. Pia essential said - grow up and deal with someone you may not like.

2. This makes it sound like Rampone, Lilly, Abby wanted Hope off the team way back then??

4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    lil one, do you recommend the book?

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Lilly would have been part of the group that's discussed in Wambach's book as she probably had already stepped away for her pregnancy once Sundhage came in. It is unclear though exactly when the conversation happened. Putting together Solo's book and this quote, some other possibilities of veterans in that group that talked things over with Pia would include Markgraf and Boxx, possibly even Scurry.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I thought Lily was there for a couple months under Pia....no? Yes, Markgraf was definitely part of that convo, which i'm sure is part of the reason Hope still doesn't like her.

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 lil_one, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    It was interesting in parts and a quick read but lacked some depth. I would have liked to read more about her childhood (although it did include some about that). I would have liked to read more about her club play with the Freedom and Mia and more about magicJack. The book even glosses over much of her WNT play. Like I said, it seemed to primarily be about Wambach processing through the root causes of her alcohol abuse, and she is brutally honest, which made it more interesting.

At this point, not even a year after retirement and even less time into her sobriety (think about the fact that the book was probably finished only 3 months after her DUI, after which she claims to have stopped drinking cold turkey), I don't think she really has the perspective to discuss it all with as much depth as she hopefully will be able to in the future. I don't think its a book I'd really recommend that you go out and get now, unless you're a huge Wambach fan, but more of one to read if you end up with some free time and can get it for a good price or for free at the library.

chungachanga repped this.
  8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lilly took off most of 2008 for her pregnancy. I can't remember if there was a December 2007 camp under Sundhage in which Lilly might have been present. Lilly definitely came back after her pregnancy to play while Sundhage was coach, but I don't think she was there before her pregnancy unless it was in a December camp.

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, Rampone and Lilly, sure. I think part of the reason Lilly "retired" is she was too closely allied with Ryan and couldn't get past it all. She went from a leader to a bit of an outsider herself. I'm not convinced Pregnancy was the end of her career.
    Her skills had not diminished.

I remember a quote somewhere from Abby regretting her stance on Hope very close to the end of the WC. Possibly before Pia.

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I also thought Aly Wagner gave an interview recently where she said folks were growing tired if Solo when Aly was on the team. Aly retired 2008 or so?

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Yeah and from 2008 on the USWNT won what? Three Golds and a Silver with Hope as the starting keeper?
    ( I'll let you look it up)

Got any comparable stats?

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    If you have an issue with what Aly said ask her.

What stats are you talking about?

sitruc and chungachanga repped this.
  13. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    More players should write a book, this is the perfect year to do so, with all the drama going on.

And now's the best time for Hope Solo to write her new book.

"I F'ck'd Up" (the new inspirational Memoir)
    -But Don't Shoot the Messenger, I'll be Back Cowards
    (By Hope Solo)

This book will be on sale at your local book store, and available for download on your portable device:

Hard back copy - $29.95
    Paper back copy - $12.95
    Download in color - $9.95
    Download in black & white - $6.95

[​IMG]
    "I'll be Back"

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    She does kinda remind one of Ahnold there, doesn't she?

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Is the whole book written in the present tense? If so, her editors failed her miserably. Even the excerpts read like a bad young adult novel.

16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and so is Lloyd's book. Reading them both left me wondering if this was some kind of new stylistic thing.

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Ew.

Why do they hate readers?

blissett repped this.
  18. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--