Wake up Italia !!!

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by ITALIA1982, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Don't move Candreva to the middle or the left he's at. His best on the right. He's not great at making the incisive pass, but he possesses a great shot and crossing ability. Plus he's great at getting past defenders wide and delivering crosses. He's ok on the left but lazio used it more as a.change of pace for Anderson who could dominate either side.

totti fan repped this.
  2. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You said Candreva was the "best Italian player atm"…you did not specify by position. Thus I offered players who are better than him regardless of where on the pitch they play. A healthy Bonucci and Chiellini are more important to Conte than Candreva. The same goes for Marchisio and even Buffon (who I forgot to mention). And comparing Darmian's statistics to Candreva and Berardi makes no sense. I won't even bother to say why, this should be apparent. You've decided to change the goal posts of your original post to dismiss my counter argument.

And those statistics are meaningless. Anyone who actually watches football knows Italy has been playing poorly on the offensive end. Candreva does not have the talent to inspire Italy to that next level…that is plain and simple. He is a solid player, nothing more. And our next two fixtures are against Malta and Bulgaria. These are teams we should beat with or without Candreva. September is the time to implement Berardi in the starting lineup and see what he can do. Like I said in another post, remember when everyone was discussing Maggio or Abate at RB, before Darmian was given a chance and made the argument irrelevant? As Italy's last few starting XI have shown, offensively they have been terrible. A overhaul in the final third is desperately needed.

3. InsigneForBalonD'or

Jul 16, 2014
    The 6ix
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I see Zambrotta everytime i watch Darmian

totti fan and Rosay repped this.
  4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The two of you get together to watch Darmian play?

5. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Darmian is a good player but he'll never be Zambrotta good.

6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree Candreva is overrated and shouldn't be our starting player. Berardi is better.

7. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yup, we are so used to greats like Nesta and Cannavaro. Guys like Chiellini and Bonucci any NT would kill to have. They are proving to be world class. On their way though.
    Should make the team, but has to earn to start, and until Chiellini or Bonucci drop in form which I don't see happening then they won't start. Unless one is injured they won't bet any playing time in qualifiers or Euro, most likely get playing time in friendlies

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  8. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I see a Zappacosta as well

9. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not trying to use subterfuge, or move the goal posts as you put it. All I'm trying to do is create a common frame of reference with some objective data.
    "best player atm" or you could say "most valuable player". There's a reason why players up front and in and around goal including attacking mids command the highest market value in transfer markets, because they are the most important players over 90 mins. There is only so much a fullback can do.
    Yes make some much needed changes in the final third but why remove the one guy who is actually performing?

10. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have often thought that Darmian is like a young Zambrotta. Good at beating players, hard runner, solid defensive game, at best average crosser of ball, has a wild shot, can play LB or RB.

And you'd have to say that Darmian is close to locking down that NT spot too.

Rosay repped this.
  11. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I really like Zappa, if he's anything like my FIFA 15 career mode he'll be an 88 overall in no time LOL :p

Rosay repped this.
  12. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

People need to remember Zambrotta by the time he was 22 and 23 years old in 1999/ 2000 was already featuring regularly for Juve as right fullback and for Italy. In that same year at just 23 years old in Euro 2000 I remember him making blazing runs and beating players down the right flank many a time. When Maldini retired after 2002 Zambro switched, with no problems, to left back at 25 and was always our first choice from them on until the 2010 WC. While Darmian is turning 26 and shows similarities and likeness we could only hope he becomes half the player Zambro was.

Rosay repped this.
  13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Zambrotta was converted to fullback. He started as an attacking winger during his Bari (?) days and was purchased by Juve for that position. Then Ancelotti or Lippi, can't remember whom, started playing him as a fullback.

Rosay and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  14. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yup....forgot about that

Juve converted him to right FB then a little while later he was switched to left FB....can't remember if he first switched to start playing LB with the national squad first or Juve?

15. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Camorenesi took his position as a winger at Juve, moving him to the fullback role

Rosay repped this.
  16. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I though by the time Camo came to Juve after 2002 Zambro was mostly employed as fullback there by then?

17. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yes correct but then he moved into midfield for a time until Camo arrived, under Lippi I think

18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Grosso was another converted fullback, so that 2006 side had two attacking minded fullbacks. Zambrotta was the more accomplished defender of the two.

Rosay repped this.
  19. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    didn't Grosso start as a striker?

20. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yep. I have no idea how his conversion came about. He was an OK defender but effective attacking down the flank. Could hit a shot too. The same for Zambrotta.

Rosay repped this.
  21. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    totti fan repped this.
  22. InsigneForBalonD'or

Jul 16, 2014
    The 6ix
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What a team we used to have

Rosay repped this.
  23. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Best one he ever hit.

What a classic!

24. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It was Trap I believe, after he called Camo to the national team. Lippi made the move from left to right. He was excellent in all roles. One of my all time favorites.

Rosay repped this.
  25. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never get tired of watching that....never