WAHL: US Soccer Foundation sues Fed over naming dispute

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eighteen Alpha, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Two days after the brother of the Fed’s marketing director is named the new manager a story drops which further demonstrates the utter tone deafness of US Soccer.

“The U.S. Soccer Foundation, an independent charitable organization that has invested $125 million over the last 25 years to provide access to soccer, largely in minority and low-income communities, sued the U.S. Soccer Federation on Thursday in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

“Ed Foster-Simeon, the president and CEO of the U.S. Soccer Foundation, told SI.com he was stunned in August when U.S. Soccer requested a meeting in which it said it was ending the relationship between the two organizations—the federation president has always sat on the foundation’s board—and demanded that the foundation abandon the name “U.S. Soccer Foundation” and its logos.”

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/12/06/us-soccer-foundation-federation-lawsuit-ussf

Talk amongst yourselves.

Winoman and skim172 repped this.
  2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "USSE"

United States Soccer Entertainment

4. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when Garber went after the naming rights to things created by MLS Supporters?

5. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMFAO, oh boy this is going to be a great thread.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that this is a negotiating ploy and a settlement with a coexistence agreement will result.

7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To paraphrase Kanye:

US Soccer doesn’t care about poor people.

Borrachin and Winoman repped this.
  8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of the emotional crap about what USSFoundation does with kids has nothing to do with the underlying trademark dispute of who owns the name.

9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone didn’t read the article.

Borrachin, USA-Zebuel and TOAzer repped this.
  10. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    I'm not so sure about that. Per the article, USS Federation ended their involvement with USS Foundation, then demanded Foundation change its name and trademarks. The Foundation's lawsuit isn't for damages, but to secure a judicial declaration over who owns the name.

The Fed featured the Foundation in the Legacy section of the 2026 bid. Based on the quotes, the Foundation apparently suspects that the Fed wants to continue to claim ownership of the Foundation's name and history in their future dealings re: WC 2026 - despite having chosen to no longer affiliate with them.

It's like divorcing your wife, but still using her family's name because it's her name on the membership at the country club. But in this analogy, you further demand that she stop using her family name because it's yours now. :cautious:

The decision to separate from the Foundation is bizarre. And it also reminds me of earlier this year, when the Fed suddenly backed out of Byer's youth development program after just six months.

According to Byer, it was Gulati who supported the program, and when he was gone, the support suddenly dropped out. I'm wondering if maybe we're seeing the carrying out of some grand plan by Dan Flynn to reshape the Fed in his image. He's the most powerful man in the Fed now with Gulati gone - Cordeiro is nominally in charge, but he's new and Flynn is well-established. Flynn now gets to make all the decisions he always wanted to make - maybe that's what this is. Perhaps he has a design to revamp youth development, led by the Fed and not involving outside parties.

Or maybe the Fed is just stupid.

It's a bit worrisome, to be honest. Being incompetent and unable to act is bad. But being incompetent and yet still willing to make strong and forceful decisions is dangerous.

chad, WrmBrnr, TheRightPants and 5 others repped this.
  11. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much for the stories that Flynn had a change of heart........

WrmBrnr repped this.
  12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The singer for the Smiths.

It’s literally a one sided article. I won’t be shocked if we get enough of the story to have a valid opinion and the Fed looks like shit, but we’re not there yet.

13. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disgusting behavior from USSF, but that's to be expected from those clowns who run a joke of an organization.

They won't receive another dime from me going forward.

TheRightPants and Borrachin repped this.
  14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I didn’t read it and my post was ill informed? Or I did read it but it was a one-sided article so my opinion drawn from the article is not valid?

Or is it both?

James

TOAzer repped this.
  15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brilliant!

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What PRECISELY do you KNOW that they did wrong?

The amount of poutrage (pre outrage) in this forum is making it a cesspool. The correct order is ready aim fire, not fire aim ready.

WrmBrnr and 2in10 repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny how soccer has a conscience. If NFL or MLB, or even NCAA did something like this no-one would bat an eyelid, never mind stop watching the sport.

Of course a big wealthy non-profit beating up a small defenceless non-profit over it's name is not a good thing.

18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USSF has a track record of corruption, ineptitude, and greed. It is really up to them to change it. This isn't something that would directly effect on field play though not hiring a coach after failing to qualify for the WC pushed any progress back a year (or more).

Why castigate the fans who view this as yet another seemingly shady issue for US Soccer.

James

chad, Namdynamo, Borrachin and 1 other person repped this.
  19. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    I'll take B

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please specify USSF corruption.

Show Spoiler

If you mention Blazer I’m going to laugh and laugh and laugh.

As far as ineptitude...my very strong belief is that running a federation is HARD. I mean, if pretty much EVERYONE IN THE WORLD thinks their federation sucks, to me that means people have unrealistic expectations of federations.

Marko72 and Baysider repped this.
  21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Editting your post:

I've said it many times, "US Soccer doesn't care about US Soccer fans."

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    superdave's constant use of mockery and/or derision with respect to any criticism of how USSF acts, its dubious relationship with SUM/MLS and its opaque governance never ceases to confound me.

For example, if the USSF was completely unaware of Blazer's brazen corruption given the length and depth of the professional and personal relationships with USSF's most senior leadership, it is the definition of "ineptitude" and I'd argue is "grossly negligient" at a minimum. Yet superdave wants to take it off the table for discussion as evidence of USSF's poor management.

The "show me definitive proof" is reminiscent of President Trump's "we don't have definitive proof" that MBS was in on the murder of the journalist.

C'mon. As other posters have stated, there's more than enough smoke around how the USSF conducts its business that they've lost the benefit of the doubt that one would usually give organizations.

chad and Statman repped this.
  23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fed was aware of Blatter’s corruption too. I was aware of it. So?

I’m mocking people who hav strong beliefs about topics they are ignorant of. Their passionate ignorance is funny to me.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I don't recall that USSF and Blatter were tied at the hip as they were with Blazer. You really can't see the difference?

You think that posters are ignorant about potential poor management at USSF? You think there's no smoke in the opaque relationship between MLS/SUM/USSF? There's nothing there at all?

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but it beggars belief that you apparently think it's obvious that there's nothing to see.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it now.

Blazer was a CONCACAF official.