Volkswagen Scirocco

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Einzelgänger, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Einzelgänger

Einzelgänger Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Club:
    VfL Wolfsburg
    I love the new Scirocco especially the R version :D here's a fifth gear clip of a base 2.0L model. It's too bad these won't make it over to North America

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj4xsvpyn7E"]YouTube - Volkswagen Scirocco Fifth Gear[/ame]

2. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Better than a Golf GTI? The new Scirocco must be a fun car to drive bc the GTI ain't no joke.

3. archebald23

archebald23 New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    yes i think the scirocco is better than the golf or the jetta, although its parts are somewhat an upgrade of the jetta parts. I noticed its exterior was also completely overhauled.

4. archebald23

archebald23 New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    have you gusy seen the new scirocco? i think its the 2011 model, its not into production yet but very promising.

5. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Sounds like a reasonably fun car...but it is still slower than my old 92 Corrado. Seems like a waste.

6. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but the cost of the '92 Corrado was proportionately higher, no?

7. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I can't remember exactly, but I think it was 20 even everything included--leather, heated seats, sun roof, etc. It might have been higher, but only marginally so. Of course, the dollar was probably better then too. The GTI has been too expensive to really compete, and it looks like this would fit in the price segment occupied by WRX, Ralliart, Cobalt SS, etc., and it doesn't seem to match up. I did see a higher performance version is selling for upwards of 35, so I be surprised if it could really compete. I did love my Corrado though.

8. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i checked wiki, and the price was £17500, so i don't know when or where you purchased the vehicle, but that's around $27.5K

9. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    My dad bought it new in Indianapolis back then--I bought it off him three years later. I have a WRX now, and though I know it wasn't, the Corrado felt faster than my new car.

10. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought about getting a WRX in about 2003, but i got a Honda Accord coupe.

wives sometimes determine car choices...

now if i had waited a year, the WRX STI would have been an interesting choice.

11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great looking car. But I grew up in the 80's, and that Scirocco was a car that I fondly remember. The New Beetle was a pretty logical evolution of the old Beetle, lookswise. To me, this isn't. It does not make me want to say "Scirocco". It's like how they tried to rename the U.S. market Golf the "Rabbit".

Another great name, but to me, it would be best applied to another car. Same as I feel about this "Scirocco", which I do like as a car.

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I agree generally, but the Golf and Rabbit are still different cars here.

13. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wasn't the old rabbit just a renamed European golf as well?

I like the scirocco, but the GTI (or better: GTD) is just much more practical.

14. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it was. But a few years ago, the U.S. Golf was renamed the Rabbit in a feeble, very-shorrt-lived attempt at nostalgia like the New Beetle. Reverted VERY quickly to "Golf".

I'll bet the Rabbit of yore could be evolved into a "new rabbit", though.

15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I stand corrected--I thought the Rabbit was on a smaller chassis.

16. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just like American clothing sizes, VW cars were/are growing through the years. The Polo is now bigger than the original Golf, and the Caddy bigger than the original transporter.

(the clothing sizes didn't change in Europe though, which is why 50 years ago an american L was an L all over the world, but now an American L is a European M)

17. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's the same for all European cars. Look at the size of the Fiesta or the Clio, they're now bigger than the compact class (Civic/Golf) used to be as well.

The funny thing is that brands do fill in a tinier car once the others have grown up like the Fox which is smaller than the Polo which used to be the smallest car.

18. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    a scirocco is always nice

19. Tom_Heywood

Tom_Heywood New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I agree with you, the Astra is as big as a Cavalier, a Polo must be the same sort of size as a Mk II Golf (which my dad had in the 80's, and so on. I like the looks of the Scirocco, but is it different from the Golf in technical terms?