Visiting France; any games I can see?

Discussion in 'France' started by Chartrand, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Chartrand

Chartrand New Member

Aug 20, 2000
    Queens, NY
    Hello. I'll be in Paris for the April 17 matchday. PSG is not at home, but are there any other games I should see? (And can easily get to by train within 2 hours?).

Thanks in advance.

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'm the kind of guy who stops and watches just about any match, even kids, so first i looked at paris fc and red star, the other two parisian clubs. they play in national (3rd div.) and CFA (4th div.) but red star especially is an historic club and both play in decent stadiums (albeit usually in front of only a few hundred fans)... no luck, they're also on the road that day.

you can get to lyon in 2 hours on the TGV... but lyon is playing in bordeaux... a tasty fixture certainly, might turn out to be the match of the season, but its over 3 hours and 80€ r/t by train from paris.

lens is a great place to go see a match... but they're playing in nice (not your week, is it?)

but there are three other clubs in that rust and coaldust region, valenciennes, lille and boulogne, all playing at home!

lille is playing monaco, you can get there in under an hour.

valenciennes is playing le mans, travel time about 90 minutes.

boulogne is playing... OM! travel time about two and a half hours unfortunately because the place is such a backwater you'll have to change. maybe twice.

fares to any of these places between 20€ and 30€

my advice:

1) if you want to see OM at boulogne be johnny at the rathole for your tickets. this is the only chance the locals will have in their miserable lives to see OM play at their little park and the sellout will take a matter of minutes.

2) train tickets are cheaper the farther ahead you buy, and i'm not talking 10%; if you wait until the day before you'll pay twice as much.

3) you likely won't be able to get back to paris the same night from any of these places but lille (note that in france it's generally evening matches saturday kickoffs 7pm or 9pm, sunday two matches at 5pm and one at 9pm) and if you spend the night in one of these towns, choose lille, it's charming. even when i go to lens or valenciennes on biz i stay in lille, the very thought of spending a night in one of the other places gives me the willies.

1 person likes this.
  3. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it you're not a big fan of Boulogne, guignol? :D

4. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Auxerre might be an option as well, shouldn't be more than 2 hours from Paris and is a nice mid-size town as well. They play home against Lorient 17 April.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i overlooked auxerre because i know it doesn't have TGV service and since it's in burgundy i didn't realize how close it was to paris; you can indeed get there in well under 2h on the TER (regional train). It's a nice town and should be a good match.

i must admit i've never been, but i've seen enough of the nord-pas de calais and it's my mind to make up, right or wrong and sight unseen! it is on the seacoast, but then so is dunkerque!

personally i'm rather fond of the north (even if the warmhearted ch'ti is as clumsy a stereotype as the aloof lyonnnais or the rude parisian) but it's not the part of france i would wish on the casual visitor.

6. villemz

villemz New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Hi! I might be moving to Paris in the summer to stay one year. I love football and i would love to attend PSG games. Im just wondering if it's easy to get tickets? And how much is a seasoncard?

grettings

henrik

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Boulogne is one of the towns in France that I really want to visit. Sorry guignol but you didnt dissuade me at all lol.

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'll have to hit boulogne one day too; they have a magnificent collection of northwestern indian masques at a local museum.

9. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    these old rocks lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    is that boulogne s/mer?

the bottom pic is the kind of thing you can see almost anywhere but the top pic is pretty impressive for a small town.

11. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Beautiful old rocks are like Paris: I love it, but I wouldn't live in it.

12. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes Boulogne s/mer [​IMG]
    COURTHOUSE:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    The Column of the Grande Armée commemorates Napoleon's gathering of 200,000 soldiers near Boulogne for a proposed invasion of England