Virginia, You got some 'splaining to do!!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Deadtigers, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I get that but like a lot of Dems, I thought we rushed to throw away Franken. I prefer if we took this opportunity to show what due process looks like and when there is proof, you resign.

flowergirl repped this.
  2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We did rush to throw away Franken.
    Franken is White, tho. No conservative will point to Franken and say, "This ladies and gentlemen, is what a rapist looks like".

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #78 Auriaprottu, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    I think Fairfax is a rapist. I'm allowed to think that with or without due process.

Now... take that sentiment and apply it to the hordes of conservatives who've been waiting for a moment like this. Suddenly the message stops being about Fairfax, or about Cosby, but about any or all of us.

Were you ever told to take her straight home if she said no to anything at any point because "We don't operate like that"? I was.

xtomx repped this.
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most part, me, too. But I still get it by mom-proxy. God, I really loath that she is a Duke fan. I was also thinking that, in terms of college basketball, Roy Williams, Dean Smith...really, Auria's list.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the time, it needed to happen. Plus, there was visual evidence of what he mimicked doing to a sleeping woman. Now, we have more experience and the public probably knows there is more nuance - most of the public - and I don't think two years on Franken would step down.
    In a different context, I was thinking about that just this morning. I was thinking about if I asked my Rep a question about if he supports POC. My assumption of his answer would be that he says something along the lines of the non-criminals. As if that needed to be said. But by saying that, it assumed that the default position of POC were criminals, and I don't think that is really all that inaccurate of a position that my Rep would hold. So the Fairfax rape is going to be used by conservatives to say that Black males must prove they don't rape.

Deadtigers and Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I put this in the wrong thread.

So, is West Virginia better than the Eastern portion. Or do they all snort too much anthracite.

Like this paragon of virtue.
    image.jpg
    A West Virginia Republican delegate compared gay people to the KKK — and drew ire for making homophobic remarks for the second time last week.

The Charleston Gazette-Mail reported that WV House of Delegates member Eric Porterfield (R-Porterfield) told a reporter Friday morning that the gay community is akin to a hate group.

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This!

I am pissed at this guy. It is a serious setback for the community.

Deadtigers and Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    He's got like a dozen championships in the last 20 years. I don't care what level you're at, that's impressive. Then there's this:

UConn owns the two longest winning streaks (men's or women's) in college basketball history. The longest streak, 111 straight wins, started with a win against Creighton on November 23, 2014, and ended on March 31, 2017 when a buzzer-beater at the end of overtime caused a 66-64 loss in the 2017 NCAA Final Four to Mississippi State. The second streak counts 90 consecutive wins, including two undefeated seasons (2008–09 and 2009–10), and was delimited by two losses against Stanford, the first on April 6, 2008 in the National Semifinals of the NCAA Tournament, and the second – three seasons later – on December 19, 2010.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    West Virginia's coalfields are nearly all bituminous. There are isolated pockets of semi-anthracite, but if you want full on anthracite, you're too late. There are big holes way underneath my house where that stuff used to be.

sitruc, JG, yossarian and 2 others repped this.
  10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I got that too. Stereotypes can be maddening. Back in college some referred to me as “the Latin lover”, and it wasn’t because of anything I did or didn’t do. And some women who didn’t even know me expected me to act a certain way. It was damned if you do and damned if you don’t. I would think you know exactly what I mean.

Auriaprottu and Moishe repped this.
  11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I just hope that yours doesn't end up like many homes in Engerland.
    image.jpg
    A couple pints here you'll be convinced you really are drunk.

Funkfoot and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Why that's a tough label to live with in college. :rolleyes:

13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    How can an elected official be suspended? He doesn't have a boss or a human resources department.

Deadtigers, superdave and charlie15 repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, he's on the short list of GOAT candidates... not sure why you're implying that I said he's not impressive.

I'm just not sure he or Wooden (I used Wooden for a reason- he's the closest thing to Geno there is, and he operated with a seriously stacked deck the last decade of his career) would be the GOAT is all. I will say that (I think) Pat Summitt taught her players to be more ladylike than I see from Geno's recruits. Or maybe it's just me from an earlier era watching the Lady Vols win a lot.

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Lolz. That's the last thing I want outta my team. Scrap for loose balls, box out into the 3rd row and have swagger if you know you're better. All within the rules, of course.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Lady Vols did all but the swagger.

I get that. When you don't see it in your regular life (Geno's Italian-born but grew up 45 min. from Philly. You're not going to find anything ladylike in Philadelphia), you kind of don't know how it's supposed to fit into sport as well. And maybe that IS why he beat her so many times toward the end. But FWIW, he's the only one with a winning record v. Summitt.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geno is first and foremost a master recruiter.All top CBB coaches are first and foremost master recruiters.

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Same with Saban. He kinda sucked in the NFL where there's a lot more parity.

Deadtigers, Auriaprottu and russ repped this.
  19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Exactly. It's like people who think the dudes in charge of, say, Bayern Münich or PSG are great coaches. If you give a minimally competent coach a team that's exponentially better than their competition, guess what happens? They'll run the table every single time. Of course the coach at the University of Michigan is better than the coach at Southeast Michigan State Teacher's College; they're starting out on third base.

Deadtigers and russ repped this.
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #95 Auriaprottu, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Yes, he did. When the other guys have the same talent, he doesn't dominate (also see Clemson). His time at LSU made that fanbase and boosters deluded enough about who and what they are to hound Les Miles out of a job. That was one of the cruelest and most unnecessary firings in CFB history.

What has been amusing is watching how the yuge SEC threads here on BigSoccer thinned out once it became clear that the natties weren't going to be passed around among the conference's 13 athletic programs plus Vanderbilt University. Once loud and proud LSU hasn't beaten Saban in seven years, Tennessee hasn't in twelve, Florida hasn't in 6 games over nine seasons. The rest... well, Kentucky is still a basketball power, which is what they strive to be and that's cool.

russ repped this.
  21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be amazing that anyone would ever think that. It's never been like that in college athletics. If you're a fan of Arkansas, Texas A&M, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Miss. State, Vandy, Kentucky, and South Carolina, you should get really comfortable with the notion that your school is never winning a national championship in football, even if it's won one back in the deep recesses of history. And if you're a fan of Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, and LSU, you should be prepared to wait decades for another one. Only Bama fans get to crow regularly.

So I chuckle every time I hear some non-Bama fan crowing about their conference. Sit your ass down. You're a fan of a school that helps make the SEC a pretty ordinary conference outside of one exceptional program. Especially you, Georgia.

sitruc repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Rebels shot themselves in all 13 toes a long time ago. I've said here before that Ole Miss was the closest thing Bam's ever had to a rival, but they were a bit too eager to keep their conservatism official (mascot and flag), and both Bama and Mississippi State capitalized on it during recruiting without having to actually prove themselves any better. Ole Miss hasn't won even a division title since. Mighty falling faaar...

I can very easily see why the average cfb fan from damn near any SEC school would have thought that around 2009 or 2010. ESPN's a pretty powerful institution these days. It was them that ran a decade-long "The SEC is the bestest conference in CFB!!1!1!" to get more folks interested on the regular. And it worked, if social media is any indicator. Now, for the first five seasons of what turned out to be only a 7-year run, four different programs won a natty (Florida, LSU, Bama and Auburn), so I can see how maybe Tennessee and Georgia and Arkansas felt they'd have their day, too. FWIW, Auburn did play for a second title in 2013, but they just weren't good enough. But hey, they hadn't won shit since 1958 anyway, so it was all icing for them.

I'll own up and say that a few SEC programs would have natties or more natties if they hadn't run into Bama in the SEC title game or in the postseason. 2009 Florida, 2011 LSU, and 2017 Georgia.

23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With those numbers, particularly among AA's, I can't see Northam resigning. The most likely, and imo the first, to go should be Fairfax.
    A theory I am hearing being circulated would be to have a woman of color nominated to replace Fairfax as Lt Gov. I don't care much about Northam but would not be happy if he resigns and the position has to go to a Republican.

Auriaprottu and xtomx repped this.
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why must the POC be female? Has Fairfax's gaffe tainted all of us to the point where Sofia has to run the show? Conservatives couldn't have planned that one out any better, and I suspect they'll find subtle ways to say so.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. Texas would've had a lot more shots at the national championship during the 2000's if they hadn't been in the same Big 12 division as Oklahoma. To paraphrase Hyman Roth, this was the conference that they chose to be in. If you're Florida or LSU or Georgia and you don't want to have to deal with Bama, there are plenty of other conferences that would be glad to have you. Go steamroll the Sun Belt on a yearly basis.

But yeah, I can see how Georgia or LSU or Florida or Tennessee or Auburn figured that they'd get their day in the sun again. But Arkansas? A&M? Please. Those two pretty much retired from competing for national championships the day that they joined the SEC. In order to compete for a national championship, you're gonna have to win your conference or at least your division (unless you're Bama, but whatever). And to get to that point, Bama, Barn, both Mississippis, LSU, not to mention the other SWC refugee will all have to have a down year at the same time. Good luck with all that.

A&M likely would've won the Big 12 and been playing for a national championship in 2012 if they had stayed, and they'd probably get a lot more in the Big 12 for the $75 million that they're paying to Jimbo Fisher than the perennial second, third, and fourth place finishes in the SEC West that they're going to get. Meanwhile, their bêtes noires in Austin appear to be a lot closer to playing for a national championship than they will be. Nice job, Ags. This is why Texas fans say that there are no such things as Aggie jokes, only true stories.