Violence in South American futbol

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by Caturro, May 5, 2006.

1. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Obviously this is nothing to be proud. Violence shouldn't be part of the game anywhere in the world.

... but, in a way, what is a Copa Libertadores with no on field fights between players of oposing teams? Without the crowd throwing trash at a player when it's trying to serve the corner kick? Without riots in the crowd fighting among themselves, against the police, or trying to get into the field?

Has it become part of our idiosyncrasy? Part of our futbol culture?

I tend to think of it as something that's sadly part of our culture as a direct result of how passionate we are about the game. Obviously, neighboring rivalries don't help much either. I mean, what's a visit of a Chilean team to Lima (and vice versa) if nothing strange happens before or after the game? What about the games between Brazilian and Argentine teams in Copa Libertadores? Something always happens, every year.

Your thoughts on this?

2. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    I dont think it is "passionate" but rather it shows the low class of people that attend games and how south american stadiums are very low quality. Even if we can't afford new stadiums we should at least upgrade our stadiums to all seaters much like England and most of Europe did to combat their hooliganism problem of the 80s. Does it really cost that much to install seats?

when you have so many people crammed together this is what happens. Making stadiums into all seat stadiums is proven to reduce violence and calms down the fans.

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    que bronca mas chevere!

Live entretaiment has new meaning in brazil, now days...............

4. luisare81

luisare81 New Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Come on guys! Yesterday's riot at Pacaembu was scary as ********! I honestly thought that some people were gonna die.
    Of course is fun to watch fights among the players because at the end the result is only a few red cards and some bruises, but when people's lives are in clear danger as yesterday, I don't think is fun at all but rather it rings the alarm about how dangerous and out of control soccer games can get.

5. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Yea.

Let our futbol thrive. It is part of our futbol, if people don't like it, then just keep to yourselves

6. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    how does violence let futbol thrive? if anything south american football is in the gutter because of violence. Families cant go to games, the stadiums are half empty most of the time.

7. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Thats not why the stadiums are empty. These fans are the ones who ALWAYS go to the game. Ban them, and watch things go downhill.

8. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    http://www.fifa.com/es/WorldLeagues/index/0,4643,115681,00.html?articleid=115681

La Asociación Uruguaya de Fútbol (AUF) suspendió el Torneo Clausura 2005-2006 por tiempo indeterminado, tras el asesinato a puñaladas el sábado de un hincha de Cerro por parciales de Peñarol, informan este martes los medios locales.

The dangerous thing about something like what happened during the game Corinthians-River is that when SO MANY people are rioting, you have no f...ing idea of what can happen.
    - They could have gone in the field and beat players from both teams
    - They could have gone to where the River fans were and beaten them up
    - They could have start a huge fight against each other (pro-violence and people that try to make them stop)
    - They could have taken one or several cops and beaten the crap out of them

Anything can happen.

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    What you say is true. That's why IMO if a World Cup returns to South America, they'd better charge tickets the same prices they're going for in Germany 2006. That way, these hooligans won't be able to enter the stadiums.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    There are no reported deaths. However, there were a few individuals who suffered very serious eye injuries. Apparently, the "moral effect bombs" (as the Brazilian media calls them) used by the police caused glass shards to fly into the eyeballs of some fans. One of them had surgery and the doctors said he may never see again from that eye; in fact, the doctor said the eyeball may be completely lost.

11. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Hopefully the world cup returns to Brazil like I heard it would. Fifa mandates world cup stadiums to be all seats no wood/bancas/bleachers. I know that there are other problems that seats won't fix but we saw the example of Europe. When you put seats into stadiums it reduces violence by more than half.

12. luisare81

luisare81 New Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Poor guy.

13. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Don't you see a trend here? This could have happened. That could have happened.

The only thing I was surpised with were the cops. They needed more security. and they needed protective gear, like full body armour like they have in Colombia and Peru. Also, I am surpised they don't have shields. I would have guessed security in Brasil would be great, but they barely managed to break the whole thing up.

These fans WILL NEVER STOP COMING to the stadiums. Thats a fact. So just take better measures to keep them in-line, and away from visiting fans.

14. Manyaraña Recargado

Jan 9, 2006
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    danrod andá a ver béisbol la ******** que te parió.cuadro vírgen sin copas ni tradición.

15. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    It's definitely part of our culture. It should not be banished as a whole, but it should be controlled and punished. The passion is there, I don't want it all to go either, but something's gotta be done.

16. juanse_moncayo

Jul 29, 2004
    Columbus OH- Ecuador
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    First of all no goverment in its right mind is gonna see as a priority to make stadiums look better, trust me, hunger, health and many other subjects are much more important. Being said that, it has nothing to do with infrastructure, i know you've heard of hooligans, how about italian riots? even with that type of stadiums and riots still occur in Europe, is not an 80's thing only, its still going. Very classy stadiums with numbered seats...lol, people just would take them out and throw them against each other like in Italy. I honestly dont think it has anything to do with social classes like you have stated either, that would be extremely biased and prejudjemental. I do feel is a matter of lack of education, social stress and overwhelming love for the game that let people carry out this sort of acts following a pack of jerks that usually have criminal tendencies. All you need is one leader and the ship will follow...

Perhaps a much better solution is to invest more money in police officers, not only at stadiums but in between hinchadas, outside stadiums and infiltrated within. This would also help the community during non soccer days since the same police officers would be helping prevent and increasing amount of crime, something that happens in all S.A. cities.

17. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Im not saying the govt should, the clubs should do it. Corinthians paid how many millions for Tevez? and they cant afford to have fans be more comfortable by installing seats? give me a break! did you see thousands of fans crammed together like animals what do you expect? I was watching highlights from Africa even they have seats but we don't! im not saying have all teams in south america convert their stadiums to all seaters at once, but you can certainly start by turning 1 sections into seats in the offseason, then the next year another section and so on.

you mention Italy, thier stadiums are the lowest quality of the big 4 leagues (england/spain/germany/italy) yes Italy they still have violence but it has been reduced. Im not saying installing seats will solve the problem, but it will make stadiums safer/more comfortable for fans (reduces tension when youre not crammed with thousands of others and studies have proven this).

18. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    try to discuss the topic without insulting each other

19. juanse_moncayo

Jul 29, 2004
    Columbus OH- Ecuador
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

I see your point and in a way share it. I dont know exactly how it is in most countries, but in Ecuador, some stadiums are owned by the local goverment and some by teams. Many of them, although not have individual seats, do have numbered seats. I do see however the masses of people struggling to breath in certain stadiums. I do think is a very very difficult thing to stop, but I do believe, like you said, it would relief some stress. As for the Italians, is the same with the english, spanish, i've even seen it with the dutch. It just happens everywhere when the game is played with so much passion. I do feel police enforcement in the right location is the key for this to change. If instead of 20 police officers it had been 50, and 30 of them inbetween the fans, Im sure the outcome would have been different.

20. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    did you guys post your predictions for the current week?

21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The violence looks great on tv, and it even made the local news here in NYC. No mention of the score of the game though. ha.

22. manyaUSA

manyaUSA New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    California
    Who cares about the seats?
    Is better to jump and sing than to be seated as in the theatre.
    The good thing about the seats is that they can be used as a projectile against the police and other fans

23. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    :D :cool:

24. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Yeah, just what the hooligans need: MORE AMMUNITION!!!!

:D

25. Manyaraña Recargado

Jan 9, 2006
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    talking of that,anybody played hooligans storm over europe? :D