Video of Howards throw to Donovan?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Kool Herc, Jun 23, 2010.

1. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the keeper and other defender moving toward Donovan, I think Buddle was very close to offside position when the ball got to Donvan's foot. (Remember that you can't be behind the second last defender, which can be the goaltender.) I think the keeper's back foot was keeping Buddle onside, but barely. Don't want to put that call in the hands of the AR. Way too close for comfort. I think Buddle looks flatfooted because he wanted to make sure he stayed onside. If you watch it, you'll see he is running medium hard and watching the defender to keep himself on, but then has to break his run once he sees the keeper stopped the ball, so that he stays behind the ball and tries to stay behind the 2d last defender. When you're potentially in an offside position that close to the goal, that's what you have to do so you can't be claimed to have distracted a defender or keeper. He stopped short, which is why he was flatfooted. Depmsey of course was clearly offside, but just laid there so there was no offense. Jozy was actually in offside position too when the goal was scored.

I love that view from the stands. It shows two things to me in addition to the great throw. First, is that Clint gets off a better shot than it appeared on the tv feed. Second, if the Algerian defenders had been in a gambling mood, once Donovan passed to Jozy, they could have slowed up to trap Dempsey who was going close to full speed. Jozy would have had to make a very quick choice whether to shoot (he would have had a good shot) or to try to pass. He probably would have tried for Buddle since Buddle was in his line of sight. But the better play would have been to pass back to Feilhaber, who would have likely had a tap in. (Donovan likely would have been marked.) That is, assuming Jozy saw him and made the right pass. But the defenders kept Clint on, and the rest is history.

2. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    I loved Jozy's jump on the dog pile. Such passion. DeMerrit's looked a lot goofier, but probably safer for him and the team :D

3. BennyScrap

BennyScrap Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IT'S OVER NINE THOUSSSSAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNDDDd!