Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wait Nice has been posting this whole time? I think I blocked him in 2012, it was just tiresome. Even Koz (no offense mate) has mellowed out since then.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ass blasted

3. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

mebeSajid, danielh and thebigman repped this.
  4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    in the 30s? no. Henry Norris was out by then.

;)

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A moderately interesting story which got me thinking about the right to free expression in sport versus the power of governing bodies (pun intended)...

Short Pants and Long Sleeves: China’s Soccer Team Plays Under Tattoo Ban
    https://nyti.ms/2HgiuLH?smid=nytcore-ios-share

6. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    china? expression?

ay guey (guey).

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean Ai Wei (Wei)?

Shen-O repped this.
  8. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That was the joke

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20334 NorthBank, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Just read an article about the Asian Cup in UAE. Abysmal crowds, sometimes in the 100's. Qataris frozen out because of geopolitics, boycott, etc. Qatar playing Saudi in a matter of hours... hopefully not triggering a war.

Not too big a big leap to speculate how WC'22 might be. Thank you Mr. Blatter, where ever you may be sitting right now. Prison?

EruditeHobo repped this.
  10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you post the article please?

11. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asian Cup official highlights are readily available on Youtube. See for yourself. Pretty dismal fare.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maskito and Jamooky repped this.
  13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't compare the Asian Cup with the World Cup. The Asian Cup is never well attended, especially now that they've expanded... and you've got to remember this is the UAE. They get the world class formula 1, golf, tennis, rugby tournaments, etc. you name it.... people in Abu Dhabi and Dubai have better things to do and go and watch Turkmenistan vs Vietnam football match. I don't think that would pull big crowds anywhere in the world no matter where you put it other than in their respective countries.

Was a similar thing when the Asian Cup was here in Qatar 8 years ago. Games were not that well attended, but when Real Madrid, PSG, Barcelona or real quality comes, the games sell out in no time. There are many good arguments against the World Cup not being in Qatar, but the Asian Cup attendances is a poor arguement...

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, you know more about Asian Cup than I do, but a few hundred people showing up to a match? Was it that bad at times in Qatar 8 yrs ago?

Anyway, it wasn't just about crowd size... it's also the tense geopolitics over there these days. But since you live there, you would also know more about that than I do. Did yesterday's KSA-Qatar match go OK security-wise? I sure hope MBS didn't come over with his henchies to try to intimidate anyone.

15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, totally believable the crowd sizes, especially for some of those games I described. Security-wise the game went fine... I mean, Qataris are not allowed to go to UAE, so there were only Saudi fans vs neutrals. In all honesty, crowd trouble at games, if happening at all, is pretty petty stuff with kids fighting and stuff like that, pretty tame to be honest. It is tense politically though as Qatar has no relations with its neighbors and we cannot fly directly to UAE or Saudi. I actually have a ticket for the Asian Cup final in Abu Dhabi but am not sure I'm even going to bother going as it means taking a very expensive flight to Abu Dhabi via Oman, and then hoping I'm even allowed into the UAE being a Qatar resident

16. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Had pretty good attendance when the Asian Cup was in Australia but that said we will honestly go and watch any sport in this country. Helps take your mind off the fact everything wants you dead here.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On a side note, you seen many sharks, snakes and spiders? Seems like everyone has a pet huntsman there

18. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Australians have a great sense of irony. Huntsman spiders are the worst. They are effectively hairy crabs in that they scuttle around and are harmless.

Harmless. 8 legged jump scares. Lets call them huntsmans.

What about those box shaped Jellyfish? The really deadly ones? Should we name them something to reflect that?

Nah ******** it, its Friday arvo, call it a box jellyfish and lets hit the piss.

yossarian and thebigman repped this.
  19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was going to say, the Asian Cup is never well attended... given, one exception, Australia 2015 - I remember the attendances were well up, almost twice what they were in Qatar. Could have something to do with the distances between venues, whereas pretty much all of the venues in Qatar and UAE are an easy drive away. But could be that Australia is just a better place for these type of events :p I'll admit, I kind of want to see a World Cup in Australia one day, would be an awesome place for it!

20. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all just forshadowing for the epic Panama-Turkmenistan match in Qatar. Can't wait.

glennaldo_sf and Shen-O repped this.
  21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wolves - LCFC ends 4-3 with a 93' match winner by the home side! Crowd roaring at the end! Everyone's raucous! Then the stadium emcee begins playing Guns 'n Roses "Paradise City" with its slow guitar intro. Crowd goes quiet.

Moodkiller.

EruditeHobo and Shen-O repped this.
  22. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paradise City is only used in EVERY sporting event in America but NOBODY begins with the intro! Rookies

23. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    People say we have no plan B. All Liverpool can do is counter attack and hit diagonals to the full backs. CP with the lead has limited them to the latter.

maskito repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jota with an amazing performance. Who is he anyway?

BUT His game winner was a great example of how screwed up the offside rule is now. IMHO

He was way offside when the ball was played through, but since the ball wasn't played to him they let him keep his 5 yard advantage over the defender, which then enabled him to have an uncontested shot on goal, after the ball was played quickly back to him.

yossarian and crazy150 repped this.
  25. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    The rule is ruining football from a defensive tactical standpoint. Of course more goals is “good” for the game as a spectacle. Similar to offensive tweaks in NFL or physical ball modifications in baseball to increase homeruns.