Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting as far as wild speculation goes

Huge time/cost overruns on complex projects are hardly unusual these days

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this a credible source?? I find this pretty damn far-fetched. Sounds like Gooner dreamland to me.

Super Llama repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They definitely have delays

Whether these are kept to 1-2 months is the interesting part

Certainly around Hamburg we have some major projects where delays start being counted in weeks turning to months turning to ..... :ROFLMAO:

By far the bigger problem is the amazing cost overruns

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45183796

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I saw the delay would be till the end of the year - the Grauniad said it would be October at the earliest and the NFL game in October had been moved to Wembley.

January isn't crazy (an extra two months of delays). If it's a major structural flaw (unconfirmed), then it's obviously a lot longer than that.

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That tweet looks like total bullshit... just seems like they've rushed this, and haven't had time for a number of safety checks and inspections from what I'm reading from credible sources. The alternative, that there is some catastrophic structural oversight that can't "hold weight", seems preposterous.

6. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hooray no Hawks in the toilet Stadium

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is the Arsenal sub forum.

When in doubt, we assume Sperz will Sperz it up and release a dvd about it.

Cannon, AEAAFC96, danielh and 4 others repped this.
  8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I have a tough time believing it’s a “fundamental” structural issue - that would imply gross negligence on the part of multiple parties, which seems unlikely.
    Likelihood is that Spurs were too ambitious with their timeline. Like Jitty says - project overruns are typical.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The german's company is involved in one here in hamburg where they have run into issues with the concrete - but it is far earlier in the project. Spurs have the roof on and are doing external cladding so it seems unlikely that such a major issue could be concealed till now.

That said, the delays already appear to push launch back until November and there is no specifics on what safety aspect was failed.

It might just be that the inspectors are not prepared to let the public wander around an unfinished stadium

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It does seem a strange coincidence that Spurs didn't buy anyone.

As discussed previously, the stadium cash flow drain will bite hard and I would not be surprised if more overruns are revealed in the next days

DutchCane repped this.
  11. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve seen it happen, however. High school football stadium down here in Texas that cost $60 million dollars had to be shut down for a year less than two years after it was built due to structural issues. Cracks even appeared before it was completed but they said they were cosmetic as concrete gets cracks when it shrinks while drying...or something to that effect.

Construction firm blamed the architects and some subcontractors if I remember correctly. Architects design had things that were around 10-20% above permitted code standards. Construction company just built to the architects spec without checking I guess.

The fact that the only statements seemingly coming out of this are very vague and nebulous hint at the issues potentially being very damaging.

AEAAFC96 and maskito repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - agreed.

Brandenburg airport is a classic where issues with the fire systems caused massive rework - that place is still not open years later

cantona94 repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Construction delays are normal and practically inevitable so that's my bet. But if there turned out to be "fundamental structural issues" in a stadium that was 80% built, I wouldn't wish that upon anyone, not even Spurs. Okay, maybe I'd feel different if it happened to ISIS or Taliban... who would just as soon use the stadium for torture or imprisonment. But I digress.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  14. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As a counterpoint, Spurs spending a billion pounds on a toilet bowl that is crumbling under the weight of its own seat is funny and good and redeems the year 2018 somewhat

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yeah, that's what I expect. I agree, it would be funny if Spurs had to tear the place down and do it again, but realistically, I think the odds of that are almost nil. If Russia could build 8 stadiums reasonably well enough not to collapse immediately, I'm sure London architects and engineers can build the new WHL to reasonable safety specifications, even if it's not quite on time.

Also, I find the whole indemnity discussion funny - what architectural firm could possibly have enough money to pay back Spurs for a mistake on a huge scale?

DutchCane repped this.
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insurance policies?

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Who would you expect to have paid for an insurance policy that size? Real question.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would seem stupid not to.

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Depends on what the policy pays for, right?

It would have been sensible for Sperz to get a policy covering the stadium being delayed, and you'd imagine the contractor has some kind of liability insurance.

Will it cover all the losses? IDK - depends on the scope of the losses. Remember seeing something saying that the contractor Sperz had was pretty big and specialized in large construction projects.

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Sure, but having to do a total tear down is 500mm. That’s a massive policy!

21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I seriously doubt that Tottenham have a policy covering a massive teardown.

Would a contractor specializing in such projects? IDK - not my area of expertise. I could see it happening, because it probably doesn't happen all that often and is an existential issue for even a megacontractor (though the PR hit alone would prolly do them in).

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KdB went down with what seems like a pretty serious knee ligament injury in training today. Since it was training rather than a game, there's virtually no info or punditry on the severity. Probably the club will say something tomorrow. Could be a significant blow to their season, at least the start of it. But then again they have ridiculous depth so...

23. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    All A&E firms carry some form of liability insurance. They typically can't get jobs without it, at least not in the US. The size of the policy may depend on the size of the of the projects the firm typically works on. There are some A&E firms out there that specialize in stadiums. There are also firms, like Bectel, that do turn key projects (from design to construction).

maskito repped this.
  24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Bechtel isn't an architectural firm, and isn't building the Spurs stadium. And while A&E firms carry liability insurance, I highly doubt they carry liability insurance for $500mm.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Biglawyer.forum.com/BORING