VfB Stuttgart staying in the B1: 2017/2018 Rückrunde Discussion

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by el americano, Jan 19, 2018.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some big changes for the rückrunde. First off, Tschüss und viel Glück to Simon Terodde! I'll always love him for making our season last year, but 2 goals in the first half is not aysomething that can be allowed to continue. He's off to Köln, and scored in his first match, so I hope it's a better situation for him. They look certain for relegation, so I'm sure they'll be glad to have him in B2.

Brekalo ended his load early and returned to Wolfsburg. I always like his play, but it was tempered with the knowledge that he wasn't our player. I'm sure he'll go on to bigger things. This is a loss, but it was part of a deal for...

Mario Gómez! He hasn't been scoring is Wolfsburg, but he sure looked the part in his first match back. God I hope this change is enough to avoid relegation, because that looks like management's plan. I do think we'll see more scoring, but will it be enough? Part of the problem was getting service to the striker, and we'll have a problem replacing Brekalo because...

Mané is out for the season. Sure, I already wrote him off due to the severity of his first injury - who knows if we'd see the acceleration he showed early on. Now he's torn another tendon, just after he got back to training with the squad. It's not his knee this time at least, but enough to properly end his loan with us. Again, good thing it's a loan.

Other developments of note:
    Grgic to the Swiss league.
    Badstuber continues to injure himself, but managed to play 7' vs. Berlin.
    Other rumors of players coming in have not come to fruition. The current transfer window closes Jan. 31.
    Happy 2018.

Winoman repped this.
  2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this morning's win, VfB is assured of staying in the B1 for next year. This thread, however, appears to be heading for the "Württembergischer Fußball-Verband."

el americano repped this.
  3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only just finished watching the Bremen match. Bremen looked pretty weak, but Mario is still having trouble scoring at the MBA. Gentner scoring off a header was the highlight - facemask and all. VfB definitely look like they belong in the 1.BL.

One has to wonder what their ambitions will be next year. Korkut will have a chance to change the roster a little more to his preference. Will he be able to build on Wolf's progress, or will he want big changes? At least the fowards have to be sorted out. Can we go a full season without firing the manager?! If we want to challenge for a Europa League place, teams like Hoffenheim and Leverkusen will be a good test. We can enjoy this tough finish from the safety of being erstklassig!

Winoman repped this.
  4. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see VfB winning any of the last three matches. I would be happy with just 2 or 3 points from the last three. They really need to upgrade at forward/striker, attacking midfield, R&L wings, and depth in defense, if they want to compete for Europa League.

5. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Matchday 32 saw VfB pick up a full 3 points from Bayer Leverkusen, and jump up into 8th place in the table. :eek:

Now that they have 3 points from Leverkusen, anymore points will be gravy. I must admit that I don't see VfB gaining any more points this year: Stuttgart hosts Hoffenheim next Saturday, and they're away to scheiss Bayern the Saturday after that.

6. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, you said that last week. They're masters of the 1-0 victory! Had a hard time parking the bus for 20 minutes though. I feel like that chip in the Hanover match made Zieler ready to get back for this attempt to chip it over him. He played out of his mind. A blocked penalty and he came out to stuff a couple of lone attackers, although one was caused by his bad pass. All is forgiven. Can't really expect Europe, so no pressure in the last two.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well raise my rent! Stuttgart beat Hoffenheim 0-2! I was hoping for 3 points out of the last three matches, and we've earned six. The last match being at Scheiss Bayern, I expect zero points from that, they're just too good. Six out of nine ain't bad.

Now the team can concentrate on improving the weak areas, and acquiring quality depth, at all positions, for next season.

8. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, playing hard to breakdown against Bayern just keeps the goal differential down.

Gomez opened the scoring on an inch-perfect cross over the defender by Gentner. Mario finally scored his first home goal for Stuttgart and they tried to make it stand up. Ascacibar made it harder with his gelb-rot dismissal, but Gomez somehow scored a second on a long outlet pass. The defender caught up to him, but he feinted the shot and let him fly past. Then he took a touch to freeze the keeper and shot it through his legs. Two goals against the run of play and a not quite Europa League worthy season nearing its end. It's interesting to note where having a barely winning record takes you in the table. I feel they've overachieved though, so I'm hoping for significant squad improvement in the summer.

Fantastic atmosphere at MBA for the last home game. They should be proud.

Winoman repped this.
  9. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannstatter kurve is the best kurve!

Winoman repped this.
  10. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found a highlight of Gomez's second goal.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ausgezeichnet! Bravo zum beide!

12. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great googly-moogly! I was hoping for 2-3 points out of the last three games, and they took all 9, beating Scheiss Bayern 1-4! :eek: :D
    Bayern played their 1st team, had 80% of possession, but still lost to VfB! What a great day! :D:ROFLMAO:

13. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was going to come and congratulate you all in the win....then I read this.

Anyways

IMG_0657.JPG

What match?

[emoji23]

Winoman repped this.
  14. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to spoil your celebration...........not!

You're still champions though, so I hope you're having a wild time celebrating in München. :)

15. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's because you've stolen too many of our players, although you're entirely forgiven for poaching Ulreich! :ROFLMAO:

I was too busy last week to finish watching this, and in no hurry since it was still 1-1 where I left off. I fell out of my chair when Akolo hit that leaning tower header into the ground. Just brilliant counters all day, although I admit the Bayern attack was way off. I really did enjoy watching Ginczec knock 'em past Ulreich. VFB TV has been worth every Euro this season. If only Bayern had handled Frankfurt in the DFB we would have had a crazy Europa League finish - our own fault for losing to the Energy Drink team. This year consolidation, next year, we fight from day 1. (need a little depth, I think. Korkut doesn't trust anyone on the bench.)

You've made us proud VFB! :cool:

Winoman repped this.
  16. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quality depth will be key for next year. It looks like they've signed some quality kids, but they probably still need a top-drawer striker to go with Gomez & Ginczek.

17. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on the need for another striker. Gomez turned out to be a brilliant acquisition, but can't count on only him to score most of the goals next season.

18. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Schalke is sniffing around Ginczek, IIRC.