VfB Stuttgart: 2015/16 Season Second Half - Rückrunde Discussion

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by gmonsoon43, Jan 21, 2016.

1. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the second half of the season is upon us. Here's to hoping we don't have to endure VfB struggling against relegation for the entire second half.

Winoman repped this.
  2. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the schedule for the second half of the season:

upload_2016-1-21_12-20-49.png

3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well VfB knocked off the nanny goats to start the second half! A much needed 3 points, and they might be headed in a good direction, but it's still too early to tell. Except for the PK given up by Niedermeier, VfB played a pretty good match, and got some scoring from Werner, Didavi, & Gentner. If we can continue to earn points against Hamburg & Frankfurt, we will be headed in the right direction.

gmonsoon43 repped this.
  4. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree that overall it was an encouraging performance. I think the biggest key to success is if the team can be more sound defensively. If they can keep creating chances at a similar rate to the first half of the season and tighten up at the back then hopefully they can leave the relegation fight in the rear view mirror.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
  6. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Including the Cologne match, I count four eminently winnable games in a row. (Though that might be too much to expect these days)

I'm not quite ready to place my order for a Großkreutz jersey on the VfB online shop yet, but it's a good start. Funny how having a guy who's a national team player and a big part of Klopp's Dortmund success on the pitch changes the attitude of the team almost instantly.

I will say though, last week's match could have gone horribly wrong if not for Tyton. There was some inexcuseable defending at the end. Yikes. Stuttgart could have easily dropped all 3 points last week.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Winoman, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  8. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Kramny has this team playing much more organized football defensively for sure. However, finishing appears to be a work in progress. Still nil-nil against HSV, but the chances have definitely been happening. Three solid opportunities right away when the second half began. Unfortunately Werner, Grosskreutz, and Rupp were unable to find the back of the net.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    1-0 VfB. Didavi just gets enough on the header for it to cross the line. Long wait for the first goal, but that should be a huge relief for you guys.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Exciting ending to this one, the second half with lots of open play. What a header by Kravets. Good impact he's had since joining the club.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Footy Magoo

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Maxim was in the game for about 20 seconds when he served it on a platter for Kravets. Great play on both ends. Brilliant substitutions. lol

Winoman repped this.
  12. JB-Bundesliga

JB-Bundesliga Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind seeing Maxim get some starts again. Just not sure where he would fit in the formation at the moment. I thought he demonstrated some good quality the past few seasons.

Winoman repped this.
  13. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Maxim is a quality talent that many teams in the Bundesliga would envy to have in their squad. His greatest misfortune however is that he shares the same mutual position as Didavi. If given the equal playing time and opportunity, I think he can easily put up similar production again as he's shown from a couple seasons ago.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    A couple defensive lapses but a 4-2 win on the road is always a welcomed result. Overall a fairly comprehensive victory, everyone played their part in attack. Bad news is Didavi was sent off after picking up his second yellow and will miss next game. Perhaps Maxim will get his finally get his start again.

gmonsoon43 and Winoman repped this.
  15. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a great, necessary win. I believe that VfB are on 24 points now, and are in the middle of the table ~11th place. (That could change depending on tomorrow's games' outcomes.)

Now that there is a little breathing room, they need to work on moving further up the table. That will be harder to do against Hertha Berlin, without Didavi.

It has been encouraging these last few weeks since they have been playing well, and winning.

Epitome990 repped this.
  16. Footy Magoo

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    The defense has more holes than swiss cheese. The defenders don't react to movement in and around the box very well. Fortunately they have been attacking very well and have been able to offset the poor defending ... at the moment.

Winoman repped this.
  17. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Moley! 5 in a row! I thought they might be able to win against Hertha, but wasn't really expecting it. I was more hopeful for a draw.

With a tough match next week against Schalke, and a trap-game in two weeks against Hannover, additional points may be hard to come by.

stonesean and gmonsoon43 repped this.
  18. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great result. I was curious as to how the team would respond to the Cup loss to Dortmund and was glad to see they were right back to their winning ways.

I looked at the last ten years and here are the point totals that guaranteed safety (15th place):
    05/06 through 14/16: 34, 37, 34, 31, 33, 38, 36, 33, 32, 35

So basically 3 more victories and Stuttgart are safe. I don't expect them to continue at quite this pace but they should easily manage a couple more victories this season. Unless their form stays as fantastic as it has Europe may be out of the question, however it will be nice to be assured of safety will multiple weeks left to play.

stonesean and Winoman repped this.
  19. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herr Tyton also deserves a raise.......

I hesitate to say anything for fear of Jinxing things.....but we appear to be well on our way to safety and then some!

20. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to get several more wins before we're out of danger. I will be happy if we can finish mid-table, then work on improving the team, especially shoring up the defense, and strike corps in the off-season.

21. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad.

Happy, because my boy Harnik got himself back on the scoresheet! (Cherry picking effort as it was)

Or sad because, jesus f*%king Christ Timo Werner......are you ever going to score ever again?

Winoman repped this.
  22. JB-Bundesliga

JB-Bundesliga Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the latest on Harnik? Any thoughts on why he's clearly lower down the pecking order than Werner, etc.? Has he lost a step? A few years ago he was doing well as a joker though. Don't mind if he comes off the bench now to contribute.

stonesean repped this.
  23. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's coming off a pretty significant injury, so it may be that Kramny wants to ease him back in. Personally, I think he's perfect in the role of a super-sub. Minute 70 or so, a fresh, rested Harnik takes the pitch. Look out!

Don't talk to me about Werner. Ugh. I know he's young, and there is so much promise in that kid, but I don't know how many more times I can see him miss the target 4-5 shots in a row in a match before I start throwing things....

gmonsoon43 and Winoman repped this.
  24. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the undefeated streak couldn't last forever. (At least Werner put one away!)

A bit of a bummer for it to end with Hannover, but 5 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss in 9 matches? I'll take it!

I count four more EXTREMELY winnable matches left on the schedule and 2-3 that could be toss ups.

I'm chalking up Dortmund, Leverkusen, Gladbach and Munich as automatic losses, but who knows....the ball is round and the game lasts 90 minutes as they say....

An interesting position Stuttgart finds themselves in. 7 points off the drop, 7 points off a Europa League spot.

I guess we'll see what this team is really made of very quickly.

Epitome990 and Winoman repped this.
  25. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad Werner put one away, but he should have scored with that open net attempt in the second half. Fortunately it looks like 1 point won't make or break the season, but it would have been nice to keep the good run going.

Winoman repped this.