VfB Stuttgart: 2014/15 Season Second Half - Rückrunde Discussion

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by Winoman, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potato Head and Epitome990 repped this.
  2. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well here's some news, but I already know about it. ;) In case there is a lurker out there, I hope you enjoy!

https://translate.google.com/transl...abe-a036-2e8869a995ec.html&edit-text=&act=url

5. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Apparently the Dutt appointment is not being received exceptionally well in Stuttgart. Personally, it's not blowing my mind or anything but it seems like a decent enough hire. I'm optimistic, although I suppose that's not really a surprise.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Stoppage time goal from Stuttgart academy alumnus and now current German International Sebastian Rudy sends Stuttgart to a 2-1 defeat in Hoffenheim. This f-ing team.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From VfB's website:
    http://www.vfb.de/en/saison/vfb/sai...-tsg-hoffenheim-vfb/page/3552-1-1-.html?f3059

8. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    2-3 loss to Dortmund flatters us. We scored on a questionable (but probably correctly given) penalty and a set piece. They shredded us with two flowing attacks and then Baumgartl gifted Reus a goal with a short backpass. They led almost the whole way and I only felt we had a chance of getting anything from the game during the last 2 minutes of stoppage time after Niedermeier's goal.

Die was the least bad. I appreciate the attempt to solidify the defense, but it was sad watching 2 center backs, 2 defensive midfielders, and 4 wingbacks try to create a scoring chance. Need to be less defensive.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're going down. The front office sucks, management sucks, the team sucks, and the fans are despairing. This was never as active a forum as some of the other BL teams, but there used to be at least 6 - 8 folks on here, on a regular basis. It looks like you and I are it, Potato Head.

Whoever is the last one out, please turn off the light. :(

Potato Head repped this.
  10. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    [​IMG]

On a more uplifting note, this vid from after the BVB game has gone viral:

11. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    For as big a club as Stuttgart is and as terrible as the team is it has been very nice to watch the fan support keep a pretty positive attitude over the last season and a half. It stands in pretty stark contrast to my other club Arsenal, where every disappointing performance seems to be immediately followed by murderous inquisition. Even the Dortmund fans finally started turning on Klopp and his players a bit before they recently righted the ship.

Yeah...

Hopefully at some point we open it up a little and start to play with a little more freedom. I'd rather go down swinging than play for a draw every week.

Winoman and cortisoljunkie repped this.
  12. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is that they didn't lose. The bad news is that they didn't win. VfB got the away point at Hannover, but draws won't help them very much now. They need the full three points from as many games as possible.

And Harnik won't be available for the next match. As far as I can tell, he was fighting with Stindl, who also was shown red.

Potato Head repped this.
  13. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    It's not what I meant when I said I want them to go down swinging, but at least they've got a little fight left. Looks like a pretty attacking lineup by recent standards, even Maxim got to play (and play well it looks like).

Winoman repped this.
  14. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can stick a fork in VfB, they're done. Losing 4:0 to Leverkusen today, surely will cause Stevens to be replaced. Even the Commando Canstatt folks left the away-fans section before the game was finished. :( I don't fault them - I don't think I could take it any longer, either.

Let's see, there's already been denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and now we're finally at acceptance. The way this club has been run, I don't think they'll be back up to the B-I anytime soon.

There have been, and still are, good kids in the academy, but they've sold a bunch of them to help solve their financial mess, and really don't have anything to show for them. I don't think they will have the funds to hire a coach, or the talent, to bring them back up. It will be an interesting, not fun, next few years.

15. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Stuttgarter Stages of Grief.

The manner in which the first was conceded couldn't have helped. 11/10 comical. (bloody hilarious for the neutral though).

16th, and a relegation playoff, is still very achievable at this stage; looks like it'll be against a couple of nearby clubs, 1FCK or Karlsruhe. Accept that as the new target, just do what is necessary to drag yourselves there. you can dissect the god-awful season once it's over and done with. All the best.

except when you visit Gelsenkirchen, for our own sake and crappy goal difference I hope we put 10 past you :whistling:

16. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we get kicked out of the Bundesliga section, I'll still stop by now and then. However, with 9 matches left, it's still not over. We're rückrunde masters! Although this team doesn't resemble teams we have known. Too much roster shuffling, even for us.

Crazy stats:
    6th highest payroll in the BL.
    Ibisevic still hasn't scored a goal this season.

If we could score a goal now and then, we might win a couple by accident. This is going to be close - if we're lucky.

Winoman repped this.
  17. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for your stewardship, Fredi Bobic!

That's the problem: who on this team is going to score the goals? Ibisevic? Ginczek? Kostic? Werner? Abdellaoue? Harnick is about the only forward I see scoring, and that's minimal. The others are totally non-existent.

If you're not going to score, or score minimally, you MUST absolutely have a solid defense. VfB's defense is like a screen door on a submarine. I know Rüdiger is injured, and Baumgartl is young, but what happened to the rest of them?

They might yet stay up, but I honestly don't see it with this team. I don't see it with Stevens, and I don't see it with these players.

Potato Head and el americano repped this.
  18. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuttgart 3 - 1 Eintracht Frankfurt

Glory Hallelujah! VfB finally won a game - and it was at home! The Canstatter Curve needed this one as bad as the team. While they're still in last place, they're only a couple of wins from being out of the relegation zone, if other results go in their favor, as well.

Ginczek picked a fine time to start scoring, especially since he had been out for a while with injuries, and no else seemed to be able to score in his absence. Now, if only Ibisevic could get on track, they might actually (dare I say it?) stay up.

Also, the defense was able to hang on to a lead for the first time since forever. I'm thankful for this small ray of light in an otherwise totally dark season.

Potato Head repped this.
  19. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Yesssssssssss.

Oh man, what if Ginsu starts scoring goals? Unlike Harnik and Ibi he's still young enough that no one really knows how good he can be yet.

Shout out to Maxim as well. And Huub for sticking with the attacking lineup despite the terrible results.

Winoman repped this.
  20. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I'm more surprised that we went down 0-1 in the second half and didn't instantly give up. Really no reason to think the way this season has gone that we'd be able to save a point from that situation, let alone go on to score three.

Just watched the goals. First was a great hustle play from Harnik to set up Ginczek with a tap in. Second was a creative lob by Maxim and a really nifty control and finish by Ginczek. Third was great bit of wing play by Kostic to set up Maxim for a tap in. Really random half hour outburst of offense, but I loved every second of it.

Winoman repped this.
  21. Mumbo

Mumbo Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Potato Head repped this.
  22. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    well that's just f**king stupid, borderline sabotage. I guess HSV, and maybe Hertha, will be happy to hear it though. I know Bremen gave Dutt the boot during their, what in hindsight was, Hinrunde - given Bremen are now flying high. A question for you guys: how/why did Dutt become director at Vfb - and were Vfb aware of his attitude regarding how much, or little, influence and opinion he would allow the Vfb manager to have, before they appointed him? Because, from reading the article, it seems like his choice of manager would basically be a puppet, and he wants to pull the strings. what a twat :rolleyes:.

"neureichen Emporkömmlinge aus Hoffenheim und Leipzig" lmao

Potato Head repped this.
  23. Mumbo

Mumbo Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dutt became manager as part of the nth reshuffling of management and I have no idea if anybody really thought it through that hard other than trying to appoint their "own guy," so to speak. His coaching career has been calamitous so far, but I guess the justification was that management is a different game and he might just be good at it. Given that he brought in Die over the winter, which was a pretty good transfer IMO, I was pretty lukewarm on him. Now, not so much.

Potato Head repped this.
  24. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Dutt's got his mind set on Zorniger, for better or worse. Personally, I think Tuchel is the better coach, but would there be a lot of friction between him and Dutt? More than likely. Things keep getting curiouser, and curiouser with VfB.

Potato Head repped this.
  25. Potato Head

Potato Head Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Came here to bask in the latest victory by the unstoppable VfB but now I'm just infuriated by that Tuchel story. Well, you don't get to be a big club fighting relegation every year by having people who know what they're doing running the ship. All hail Ginczek!

Winoman repped this.