Ventura Alvarado interested in MLS

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by juvechelsea, Jun 9, 2016.

1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
  2. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on history... not happening

3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's not that easy.

El Naranja and *rey* repped this.
  4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #4 juvechelsea, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    I am curious what the explanation is. People wonder why I go on and on but intellectually I couldn't say "not that easy" and just stop without at least somewhat explaining myself.

What, there's an allocation order? Last I saw we were #5 on that. Could trade up if we were so inclined. Several players available where allocations ahead of us may be consumed. Other teams might not have our needs.

USMNT so I don't think "discovery" applies.

Cap and salary? Sell Torres. Release the Spaniards. Or even trade players. Either strategy gets you more than enough cap space to sign a player, even a DP, using the DP. And without really impacting the starting lineup. The notion, for example, that needing to pay RR prevents us from signing Alvarado, begs the question, if we could release him tomorrow. We may be full on cap now but that is always subject to change.

What, you just think we're too "poor" or something to do it? The cap aspect is easily solveable. The "poor" thing is gibberish. 4th largest city in the country. Attendance in the top half of the league. The Dynamo probably make no less than $500k/game based on 20k x $25/ticket. X17 normal league games. $8.5 million. Plus sponsorships and merch.

I am sure we make more than enough money in one game to pay for any of the available transfers I have suggested. I am convinced some of you just want to be unhappy and believe the team is broke. How are we affording Beasley and Torres then. Hmmm. I'm not saying sign Messi.

The problem is not availability. It's seeing the opportunity, making the necessary moves to adjust the salary structure. And then basically will.

5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    We would be paying Beasley money for a LB and a CB.

It's not that easy.

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #6 juvechelsea, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    When does Beasley retire? We can think more than a week ahead of time. Part of the problem around here, perhaps because we like to see ourselves as poor, and to see paying anyone much a burden, is that we don't plan very far ahead. We often liquidate salary without knowing who will come in to consume it. At best we drop one and pick up another. So it's ad hoc and not well planned out.

But if Beasley retires this offseason, or becomes someone we can offload at that point, why not shuffle someone in as a new, splurge back now? We only have 2 DPs. Nothing says if we clear cap we can only have 1 back at a time like this, particularly if he's gone in 4 months.

Also, if we could get Alvarado for something like $500k and we already have Beasley $700k and RR $300k, and could retire one and release the other, it becomes much less convincing (a) we can't afford that expense or (b) that that is the sort of money we just don't spend on backs. We do spend in that neighborhood, and we could basically plan for any of these guys by dropping x to add y, essentially giving him mostly RR's money. It's only the incremental salary difference then that is really add on, and when Beasley retires, we free up a ton of money in a half season. So you carry two expensive guys half a season but then have a long term plan for CB going forward. Perish the thought that we think 2017 and not just 2016. In 2017 Beasley may be gone and we if nothing happens now would have zero defensive quality, and still need additions, having passed on all these people.

NFL teams routinely do things like this with draft pick QBs (except the Texans). I have one guy for now til his contract ends. I have the next guy in to develop for a period. My salary structure for Year 2 is then premised on ditching veteran and replacing him with new guy. Packers have Favre but draft Rodgers. Packers ditch Favre move forward with Rodgers. HOF followed by HOF. Voila, you have planned ahead.

I would like to go after an Alvarado or Garza because that would be a younger healthier alternative to Beasley that can take a slot and be forgotten about. Foundation.

You can get Kreis now and the Mexican guys now. Or we can wait til next season to get our real coach and see who's available then. Devil you know. Devil you don't know.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're the same guy who calls into the Astros postgame lobbying then to trade Altuve and Correa while their value is high

Heft repped this.
  8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its cute how JC thinks its still 2006 and players can be dropped at a moments notice and were LA and can grt any player we want any time, cap be damned.

9. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he's only half right?

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say its a whole lotr more difficult than he makes it out to be. There are ways to clear cap space but its require moving players to bring in a Venturo level salary. That means youd have to find someone to deal with.

And itd be no easy feat to handle things on the Liga MX side either. Thatd require some $ and who knows how willing ownership would be for another defender.

11. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    First you have to have an agreement of terms between the teams, and then you have to have an agreement to personal terms. Most of the time a team cannot hit all of their targets. Somethings just take timing, luck, and some major money. Alvarado, Garza, and similar players make more than MLS usually pays as well. I would prefer top players, but understand the limitations of MLS. I'm not sure why JC thinks people here wouldn't want top players.

12. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does he just thinks we can drop five players and sign anyone we want with no problem. Or we can trade a nobody for Giovinco and if it cant be done it must be the fault of management.

13. repin1836

repin1836 Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Houston
    I think someone has just played too much Fifa.

You know, if this was the Galaxy all of these moves might be possible. haha

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  14. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    You guys WANT Alvarado?

This guy is a major liability, I've seen him play quite a bit. He's at best equal to what we have now.

Heft and Dynamo_Forever repped this.