Venezuela vs Colombia (Eliminatorias )

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Flipmode2000, Aug 2, 2017.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Bolivia will probably beat Chile.
    But knowing how stupid their federation is they will do it with an ineligible player and the points will be awarded to Chile anyway.

condor11 and ryu79 repped this.
  2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I respectfully disagree. Look I'm not a coach at any level, but from my time watching ospina play it's quite obvious he likes to deflect shots. If I am scouting Colombia I would tell my players to take shots on ospina from any distance or angle - bc he will likely deflect the ball creating a tap in opportunity for someone else. He has given up goals that way at Arsenal and it has happened at the NT level too (surprisingly not as often as I would have imagine).

You learn from mistakes, both on offense and defense. Sometimes you get bailed out other times you don't. If you don't learn from that mistake it will come back and haunt you. That is all I am saying.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What you were saying was that a better team would take advantage of mistakes. Which can happen but does not always happen. Sports are more complex than that.

And another thing, without Mina and without James it surely is difficult for me to evaluate how this team will play against better teams. Mina obviously because of his defensive prowess and presence in the area and James because he can help us control the flow of the game and can make something out of nothing.

So what I am saying is that we won't know how Colombia will play against better teams until they actually face better teams. Hopefully everyone is healthy by the World Cup and Pekerman has made the proper adjustments needed to make a run.

4. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Maybe I'm reading too much into what you posted (early morning) but I don't think you really believe that. I read that to be a very passive way to watch /play futbol.

That's 3/4 of the fun of these message boards - to give insight and scouting observations and point out facts, etc

The way I read what you wrote is that scouting, watching past video is not helpful. All you have to do is just show up to training and game day when your name is called. That works well in a Sunday pickup league.

Like I said. I am probably reading what you wrote wrong Bc you have been on this forum for quite some time and provide good insights.

5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Feels a bit hyperbolic to me. We built up a ton of momentum at the end of the last set of fixtures and then have come off a long break in the international calendar. We also happened to have lost our key creative player (and particularly one who has scored key goals in away games) going into this game.

The fact that we were in a position to basically lock qualification yesterday with this many fixtures left makes Crazy's argument laughable - so let this be the paper bag he hyperventilates into: we squandered a great opportunity last night but there is more to play and I'd rather be where we are than the guys below us in the table.

Given how far the form and health of our squad has dipped since the last WC, I am glad we are still in the fight and I don't think a different coach would have achieved more on the balance - recall that despite frustration with the double 5, Pekerman's call ups are still the most rational of any coach we've had in 15 years.

dirtysanchez repped this.
  6. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It's frustrating that Colombia couldn't beat an inexperienced Venezuela side. All things considered getting point in Venezuela isn't bad.

Ospina played great. Arias played solid as always. Zapata and Murillo were not on the same page, a better side would've capitalized. La Roca and Barrios can't play together, they get in each other's way too much. Fabra choose his spots well when to attack.

Cardona doesn't play well when he has to start and be the man. If he has to start he needs another playmaker nearby. He plays well coming off the bench. Cuadrado was great drawing fouls, but not much else.

Solid starting debut by Chara he pulled his defenders off the ball, he layed off simple passes into space, he had a shot on target, he broke his defenders hip, but felt the pressure when he had to finish. Hopefully the next start the pressure starts to lessen for him.

Falcao didn't get much help, all his shots were on target which his all I can ask of him.

7. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I hear ya and don't disagree with anything you say and I think you agree with my points as well.

I gave much praise to our current position despite use of doble 5 at times that may make little sense and lack of goals scored overall.

The quality of players and coaching since 2012 exceeds just about any previous generation. I think we are way past the point of comparing pekerman's tactics and call ups to prior generations.

Pekerman and company have to find a way to the next level and the talent is there but it hasn't happened yet due to a number of extenuating circumstances that we have discussed ad naseum here.

That's what Crzd gripes about a lot and I get his POV probably more than most but I disagree with some of his alternative suggestions which is my opinion. If any of us were that accurate on how to run the team then we would be working for the FCF. :)

8. ColombianKilla

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Colombian media doesn't really criticize the use of a double 5, is it because of Abel's form? I think he should start unless proven otherwise., too much blame is assigned to our 10s.

pibe10 repped this.
  9. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I totally agree. I didn't like Barrios's performances in the past but I thought he deserved a chance based on his great form in Boca while Abel is not in a good shape. Well, I was wrong. Barrios still suck when it comes to Colombia so I hope we'll continue with Abel.

10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Para mi sanchez lo hizo mucho peor que barrios

11. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What does that mean? I haven't been following his club matches. Is he injured? Surplus? Career winding down?

Sucks he wasn't around for both copa americas.

12. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A kick in the balls, being shot in the leg or someone running over your dog?

All shit options no new options?

13. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i dont understand this post.

explain better.

14. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sanchez didn't have a good game, I agree. But while Sanchez plays bad every three good games, I'm still waiting for Barrios to bring his good performance from Tolima and Boca to the national team.

@Furnaccio, he simply doesn't perform well in Cali when he plays. He's not injured. On the other hand, just like Barrios but opposite. Usually Abel bring it to the national team.

Furnaccio repped this.
  15. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Barrios ha tenido solo 4 partidos. En serio estan condenando un jugador de 22 años, que es sin duda de nuetsros jugadores mas prometedores?? el

El mito de que sanchez siempre juega bien y que siempre ha sido fundamental es falso. En elimiantorias 2014, los mejores partidos fueron con valencia, tambien aqui se ganaron varios partidos en su ausencia....en copa america y eliminatorias. cuando usaron a perez y torres.

Sanchez tiene muy buena prensa

16. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is for everyone, not just Pibe10...

Do you think Aguilar will be able to play 3 group stage games over 10 days come World Cup time? For some reason, he hasn't been able to feature in full games on a consecutive basis....

17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He doesn't play for his club. Call fking Lerma or someone from the Colombian league or where ever. Actually scout and stop playing the same 20 dudes that haven't played well together since the Uruguay game at the World Cup

And for pep

Barrios(kick in the calls), Sanchez(shot in the leg or Abel(your dog getting run over)

Can't we try something else!!!

18. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I'm tempted to go back and cut a video of all their touches just to show you horrific Barrios was...

Name a bad game Abel has had. Name it.

Cuellar had a couple shots, Perez had several, Torres, Celis, Uribe, Mejia, even Kevin freaking Balanta. Tons of guys have played in that position. Only Perez was truly good and even that was only for a short run. Dani Torres has been decent, not amazing.

And ALL off these guys have gone through bouts of not playing for their club at all. Stop insisting for some mystery player you know damn well doesn't exist.

This club form obsession is silly. Barrios is unstoppable in Boca. Is that the case for the NT?

Baal88 and ryu79 repped this.
  19. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Does Pekerman not realize Cuellar has been starting for Rueda since he took over?

20. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well... I Guess we all hope for Cuéllar to get a chance, he is so calm in possession and passing but also has huge balls. He wasn't really impressive the two times he played, but we need what he can provide. We also have to stop playing with Barrios and Sánchez, or any other superdestroyer combo. We simply haven't had a single good game with It. I'd much rather Play with Sánchez or Barrios as the anchor man and the rest full attacking players.

Barrios seems to excel as an anchor man. I remember very well the two games against USA to qualify to the Olympics, he was extraordinary in both doing that role. When he can Play centrally and doesn't have to share the midfield with another player he plays better.

pepinointer, ryu79 and Azucarero repped this.
  21. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    He was starting before that. Cuellar's been getting consistent playing time for a couple months now.

Of course, he went a full year of hardly playing at all--way less than Abel is playing now.

His debut in a friendly against Peru was solid; his second appearance left a very bad taste, giving away a penalty as a substitute.

Pekerman knows full well who's playing and who isn't. If you want to put guys in because of club form, there's damn good reason why he hasn't played much. If you're basing playing time on what a guy has actually done for the NT, there's a damn good reason why he hasn't played since.

He should definitely get more chances than he's had. If Abel doesn't play against Brazil, Cuellar should.

Baal88 and pepinointer repped this.
  22. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was actually impressed with yimmi chara performance. Beside the selfishness he partook in a few players, this kid can be a good option. He just needs to learn how to pass the ball quicker

Furnaccio repped this.
  23. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Seriously? Are you ********ing kidding me???? What the ******** man; the other teams below us ********ed up and we could have seriously capitalized on this golden chance!

24. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It wasn't a penalty . It was a free kick that end in a golazo of Ecuador

Azucarero repped this.
  25. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+