VAR in Review

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RedStar91, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Does anyone know how many cameras there are for VAR?

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the league and competition.

3. Unnaturallybigger

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
  4. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Why wouldn't it be like that? This is a huge significant change in the game, that I suspect will very quickly make it's way to the lower levels. People have 4K cameras on Drones at some of my High School games. I can imagine a day in the near future where I get to go to the side and grab my ipad which is connected to a drone that is automatically following the ball because of some AI mcgubbins that it's made with.

5. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    Made me laugh.
    I'm not being sarcastic. That was well thought out analysis.

dadman, IASocFan and Thezzaruz repped this.
  6. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    You have articulated better than I can. Many thanks.
    This is my issue...no other.

7. :ROFLMAO:

8. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    That’s such a childish little Englander opinion. Take your ball and go home.

Thegreatwar repped this.
  9. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Not to mention that he's wrong about pretty much everything he says too... :rolleyes::D

Thegreatwar, MrPerfectNot and dadman repped this.
  10. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    He does know that IFAB are essentially the four FAs of the United Kingdom/Great Britain and that the head of IFAB is David Elleray who is English?

dadman repped this.
  11. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Quit letting facts get in the way of a good opinion!

12. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Waffled between putting this in the Premier League posting and this one... finally went for this...

From the Man City v Bournemouth game this morning, not sure how this one isn't deemed clear and obvious... but meh. Starting to come to the understanding that the English are just trying to screw VAR up so badly that their teams vote to remove it by the end of the season.

https://streamable.com/dwyuk

13. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    It seems that the Premier League has unique issues with VAR based upon their implementation, that go beyond the general issues with VAR. In general, it seems that the Premier League prefers to avoid intervention.

I've grown to accept/appreciate the way that VAR is used in MLS.

I put the Boot Room video from this morning in the Premier League thread because I felt the issues discussed were related to how they are using VAR, and not a problem with VAR itself.

dadman repped this.
  14. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    #889 Barciur, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Just discovered that Polish FA also does VAR review videos, kind of like MLS. So I found one from last season in April where interesting thing happens. There is a foul in the box for a penalty, referee does not see it., play goes on and the team that was fouled goes on to score a goal.

They go on to explain that AVAR is used in this case to continue watching live play while VAR analyzes the penalty. Once a goal is scored, VAR goes on to analyze the goal and rules that it's offside, so they go back for a penalty. So this video kind of is trying to educate the masses on what is the purpose of AVAR.

Anyway I just thought I'd share that as it's an unusual thing to happen - cancel a goal for offside and give a pen for the same team - all in one go.

I also wonder - is there any chance this would have been given in the Premier League as a pen? ;)

15. Not unusual. It happened with Feyenoord too. That case featured in this thread some time ago.

16. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I'm thinking of cancelling a goal for the same team that gets the penalty - I think the prominent case of Feyenoord was with the goal at the other end. :)

17. Ah, missed that point of difference.:thumbsup:

Barciur repped this.
  18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good VAR call in the Ajax-Heerenveen match. The Ajax RB gets pulled down just as he is about to control the ball in the offensive half resulting in a turnover. Supporters in the Arena are outraged that there was no foul called. Heerenveen covert the turnover into a goal. VAR reviews all goals and they alert the CR that he likely got the call on Veltman wrong. CR does a quick review of the video and comes to the correct decision that there was a foul. No complaints from Heerenveen and the goal is taken away. Of course in the EPL, the goal would have stood as they don't over rule the CR on a missed foul.

19. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A good usage in Turkey too between Gazisehir and Besiktas. Easy to see how the situation couldn't be seen clearly by the officials, but VAR makes it quite clear (especially the very last replay in this clip) that this is a good end result.
    https://streamable.com/1qr18

IASocFan repped this.
  20. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I’m curious what he saw initially that led to the yellow!

21. Remarkable verdict by KNVB, both referee Kamphuis and VAR Makkelie were wrong with only a yellow card for Feyenoord player Berghuis in the Feyenoord AZ Alkmaar match (who after a vicious tackle should have been sent off).

22. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49948531

Doesn't sound like much of a chance to be successful but should be interesting to follow.

23. This weekend the KNVB introduces VAR communication on the stadium screens.

jayhonk repped this.
  24. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I have a problem with this ruling. If both expert referees are considered wrong in this case, you better have some higher level referees that are right. So who are the people saying these referees were wrong? Just the "KNVB"? Or someone who is in their position because of politics instead of intelligence?