News: VAR Experiment (video referees 2016-2018)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    To me, that is definitely not a penalty. This is not the sliding tackle/block with arms raised. this is a diving header--that gets to the ball--with the arm in the only place it can be to make the dive. I find this to be pure inadvertence and a call that should certainly be reversed. (But, as obvious from posts above, that is not a universal view.)

As to whether it was clear and obvious, doesn't that depend on what the referee thought he saw and the call he made? If the referee called the PK because he saw only the arm and not the head striking the ball, then he was clearly and obviously wrong in what he thought he saw. An alternative call, that the player should be penalized for taking a risk with where his arm was on the play, might not be clearly and obviously wrong given how muddled some of the current instruction is. So is the R doing the OTF supposed to be evaluating as against the basis of the call, the end call, or some combination of the two.

2. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion this is too subjective of a call, take 100 referees and 50 of them would call this handling and 50 would not. So this one is really odd.

3. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The one thing "clear and obvious" to me is FIFA has bitten off far more than they can chew with this first incarnation of VAR.

There seems to be way too many issues to get this fixed by next summer.

RedStar91 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is worth the read and the view of the video:

https://www.dutchreferee.com/papadopoulos-gets-yellow-dive-var/

A few thoughts here.

1) As noted, simulation is not reviewable on its own. You can end up with a simulation card if a penalty award is reviewed and determined to be a dive (conversely, however, you can't just assign a simulation card if the VAR checks a penalty appeal and concludes it was a dive). The same could be done if a reviewed VC or SFP was determined to be a dive. So, if the only decision here is simulation, this would seem to be an incorrect use of VR.

2) However, if the referee had made the decision that he was showing a red for VC and the VAR was checking to make sure that wasn't a clear and obvious error, all misconduct around the incident is in play (think about the Kaka incident, when 2 yellows and a red were given) so the VAR could tell the CR that VC would be a clear and obvious error and that he should book the player for simulation instead. Of course, for the viewing public there's no way to determine if this happened or not, which is another reason why always showing the card initially--even if it could be reversed--might be a good idea, though Howard Webb has suggested otherwise.

3) I hate to say this, but the attacker did throw his arm/first into the defender's chest. The reaction looks over-the-top, of course. But the player carrying the ball (#15 red/white) did go out of his way to deliberately strike his opponent during a stoppage when the referee wasn't looking. Of course I wouldn't advocate a red card for VC if I had been looking right at it, but certainly would consider a caution. In fact, #15 strikes two different players deliberately in the span of a second, the only reason the play can be legally reviewed (if it was legal) is because of his actions, yet the only misconduct awarded is for simulation. Doesn't feel right at all.

5. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, I get a warm fuzzy feeling seeing a play get a caution for this bad acting. If we got rid of that, there would be a bit of silver lining to this cloud. So, it feels a little right, but other than that, I'm with you.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think many would disagree with you, but the problem is the VAR experiment isn't even designed to get rid of this tip of play-acting. This incident shows that despite the protocols attempting to be narrowly focused, however, you can drive a truck through them that will lead to huge inconsistencies. This simulation can be carded because it (presumably) involves a decision by a referee to give a red card. But the vast majority of simulation cannot be addressed via VR.

Imagine a tournament setting--let's call it the World Cup--where one team gets a player sent off with a 2CT for this type of behavior, but the other team wins the match on a DFK from 20 yards out, awarded due to a clear dive that can't be reviewed.

7. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  8. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh sure. If you tried to come up with something to destroy soccer, it would look a lot like VR. That said, I still enjoyed him getting the caution.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to show I'm not completely doom and gloom, you'd be had-pressed to find a better and more efficient use of VAR than this, in Portugal.

https://streamable.com/5pcgy

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    usaref repped this.
  11. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not sure how the AR missed the first one, looked clearly offside to me in "live action." Anyways, hats off to the referee crew for the fastest overturned goals I have seen since the implication of the VAR.

jarbitro and IASocFan repped this.
  12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having the player potentially in an OSP that close to you can be disorientating, particularly when the ball is also coming from the touch line you are on. In a lot of those situations, partly because a portion of the attacker's body is shielding the entire rest of the defense and partly because you have to physically move your head more, he can look offside even when he's not. I actually thought the second was "easier" (relatively speaking of course) because the penalty area boundary could help out. Either way, the VAR made sure both calls were correctly made and in a remarkably efficient fashion.

13. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    To follow this up... this happened last night in the T&T v HON match (a non-VAR game, but had a play I wanted to highlight regardless):

https://streamable.com/wy5f8

A reckless challenge that comes just after the shot is taken, going wide, referee calls foul, gives penalty, cautions defender (his second caution as it so happens).

And I agree with this -- and as has been noted previously by a number of others (including possibly you), this is the biggest bit of subjectivity on VAR, even moreso than the "did you miss a red card" part.

Yes, I think that the "standard" you and I are discussing is the thing that is most likely palatable to the average joe (never mind the stakeholders), but how do you teach that without making (even more of) a mockery of this. :)

And I think that's in part because what one referee sees as a PK, another doesn't necessarily.

14. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    On the PK that was overturned by VAR, could this have also been acted on if spotted by the VAR (21 seconds into the video)?
    Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 10.47.25 AM.png

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Interesting POtW, which features the missed OS corrected by VAR. http://proreferees.com/2017/09/06/play-of-the-week-26-offside-dialogue/

Notably, PRO makes clear that it is a call that should have been achieved without the assistance of VAR through R-AR teamwork, and also focussed on not using VAR as a crutch"

This highlights a potential danger with Video Review that officials delay making decisions, knowing that they will be corrected. This is not why VR was introduced — decisions should be made naturally, and clear errors in game changing incidents corrected. The VAR is not there to referee the game and the on-field officials should be able to make a real time decision on offside situations.

Our ARs are among the best in the world as they prove week in week out, and do not need to rely on VR to make decisions for them.​

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to pile on and undermine my position in another thread, but I'm sure PRO is asking the question of whether or not having a trial AR who recently moved from another country contributed to the failed communication here.

17. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good example of VAR help in HSV - Leipzig game just now. CR (Deniz Aytekin) called a PK, but took it back after VAR showed the Hamburg defender kicked the ball, which went over the Endline, and then stepped on the Red Bull attacker's foot which caused him to trip. Restart changed to Corner kick. All done with verbal communication - no CR reviewing the clip.
    Sorry, no clip.

18. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    IASocFan repped this.
  19. It would be stupid to rely on the VAR as an AR in off side calls. It always will be in cases a goal is scored from an off side situation or not. So it will always be in the spotlights. If AR's would go down he path of taking no risk in those situations and decide not to call off side and let the VAR sort it out, the question pops up why to call him AR? You fast go down the track back to being just a linesman without responsibilities.

20. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Speaking of top-level ARs, there was a tight offside non-call (VAR overturned) in a game in Portugal yesterday. Looking at the replay, you can see that the AR was slightly out of position, but even if he were in the correct position, this would have been a very difficult call to make due to the position of the player in offside position.

21. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    And one in Germany this morning. YC upgraded to RC. An almost identical play and result to the one in the Toronto FC v San Jose Earthquakes match this afternoon.

https://streamable.com/73jn6

IASocFan repped this.
  22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a new result from the use of VAR:

Initially, this foul was whistled and a penalty was awarded. No card was issued per the new LOTG game clause that says stopping a promising attack in the penalty area is not cautionable if the foul was a result of an attempt on the ball.

VAR indicates the awarding of the penalty was a clear and obvious error. Referee does the OFR, agrees, and changes the decision to a DFK. But, because he has changed the decision to a DFK, the misconduct for stopping a promising attack is back in play and since the player in question was previously booked, he now gets the 2CT red card.

So 2CTs cannot be reviewed or issued, except when they can! I totally get and most here will obviously understand why the 2CT could (and needed to be) issued in this particularly case. But it's a nuance that will be lost on the vast majority of non-referee participants. The announcers and players understand it in this case, but will they understand it when an otherwise obvious 2CT cannot be given?

23. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pandora called; she wants her box back.

EvanJ, Dayton Ref and threeputzzz repped this.
  24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #399 EvanJ, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    IASocFan repped this.
  25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to choose to believe this is pro forma for legal reasons and that FIFA already knows full-well that it is using the same technology in Russia that its referees have used and trained on for over a year and used in live trials in at the U20s and Confed already. Because the alternative--that new technology will be introduced in December for trials (where there will only be 6 or 7 on-field referees and a similar number of VARs)--is cartoonish.