News: VAR Experiment (video referees 2016-2018)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

Check out starting at 2:45 minute mark.

Serie A will be a must watch this season at least in regards to penalty decisions.

I'm not even sure if it is a foul in the first place, but while there maybe debate about whether it was "clear and obvious" in the Bundesliga clip above, the play in the Juve match certainly does not meet that threshhold.

This is practically re-refereeing the game. So if you like penalty kicks, Italy will be the league for you.

Also, it looks like Italy scrapped AAR, which makes sense. You have GLT and VAR.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree to the extent that I think both have been, historically, debatable.

You're right that the German penalty regularly gets awarded when the referee is sure he's seen a hold in real-time. But it also regularly doesn't get awarded. Similarly, in the Italian clip, the player absolutely gets stepped on--it's 100% a foul if seen (similar, in many aspects, to the foul that resulted in a goal being called back in the Dallas MLS game last week). But you're also right that it regularly gets missed or not called because there's doubt. So in one regard, both of these are standard, by-the-book fouls that got missed and then got called when the VAR intervened. Proponents of an expansive VR system would say that's not a problem. But the "clear and obvious" standard is supposed to be much higher than that. As you say, it's not supposed to be re-refereeing the match. VR, for penalties, is supposed to catch the horrendous misses that keep referees up at night and are an affront to the game; not to correct the sort of penalty decisions that, for several decades, "could go either way." I've even been told David Elleray likes to use a 95 out of 100 standard when he instructs on VR/VAR... for VR to reverse a penalty or red card decision, it's got to be the sort of thing that 95 out of 100 neutral observers would say "yeah, he got that totally wrong and the call needs to be changed." It goes to the mantra about "what football expects," which is now written into the preamble to the Laws thanks to Elleray. I don't think either of these incidents reaches such a threshold (and, ironically and sadly, I do think the potential SFP decision in Germany did).

From what we've seen so far, I think you're right here. And it speaks to an interesting evolution that could reach a critical point in Russia next year. From the small bit of evidence we have so far, in Italy the standard for awarding a penalty based on VR seems to be much lower than it is in, say, Germany, where the threshold for "clear and obvious" has appeared to be quite high in their trials, notwithstanding the one clip I posted above. In a way, it will be similar to how we've had different standards for SFP in different top leagues around the world--or how La Liga tends to have a lot more yellows generally than other top leagues. There are differences in officiating around the world but, to FIFA's credit, they've largely been ironed out among the absolute top officials and you have some general consistency in application of the Laws when you get to the FIFA tournaments (there are always decisions that are outliers, but those seem to be more due to mistakes than to stylistic differences).

However, with VAR, everyone is learning in their own way in their own leagues and getting used to a brand new system and set of protocols. There has been and will be instruction at the FIFA-level, but it's going to be interesting to see how and if FIFA is able to get consistency in application of VR standards prior to Russia 2018. From what we saw in Korea and Russia for the two trial runs, they weren't even close and there is maybe one more live trial (CWC), but that would involve very few referees. An inconsistent application of VR in Russia 2018 is probably the one thing that could actually kill the experiment after next summer, so avoiding it is probably the biggest task that FIFA faces.

I think this was less a decision about the on-field practicalities of refereeing and more one about personnel and costs. Serie A now has to have a VAR (and AVAR, if that person is certified for the first division). If you keep AARs, you're now sending eight first-division qualified officials to every Serie A match. You've upped referee fees (on top of the costs of implementing VR in every stadium) and you've taken ~20 more officials away from Serie B per week. The trickle-down effect on referee development here is dangerous.

3. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I think you guys are waay overselling the "clear and obvious" standard. The Serie A incident is a foul, no doubt. The reason it doesn't always gets given is that the referee doesn't see it (here he had 3-4 players blocking his view), not that there is debate if it is a foul or not. It is exactly the sort of situations that those arguing for video reviews want fixed.

You really think that if shown a slow-mo replay from a good angle people wouldn't think that to be a foul?

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we are overselling the standard (or at least not overselling questions about what that standard means). I also would take issue with the assertion that there is "no doubt" that the Serie A situation is the type of thing those arguing for VR want fixed. I think some people who want VR want it because they want ever missed foul in the penalty area called a penalty, sure. But that's not the way it's been sold by the IFAB. If it was simply about making sure missed fouls were called in the penalty area, we wouldn't have the "clear and obvious" qualifier in the first place.

Go back to this incident from the U20s: https://streamable.com/20p46

100% a foul, right? In a world where "defensive fouls in the area caught on video will result in penalties" is the standard, then this is a penalty. There was plenty of time for the VAR to check this. He did and nothing was given--not even an OFR. My understanding is that Busacca believes this was the right outcome, consistent with instruction. My question is then, "why?" At the very least, it goes to the "clear and obvious" standard meaning more than "on replay, was this a foul?" The protocols also open by imploring referees and VARs to think "was the decision clearly wrong?" rather than ask "was the decision correct?" Again, that distinction has to mean something. I also know that PRO is stressing the IFAB mantra of "minimum interference - maximum benefit," which also implicitly relates to "clear and obvious." Does all that mean that stray arms in the penalty area, which almost never get called, will still never result in a penalty? Maybe. Or maybe it means the protocols need to evolve and this should be a penalty with the advent of VR. No one here knows the answer because I guarantee there isn't a worldwide answer that the IFAB/FIFA have settled on yet.

I don't pretend to know exactly what "clear and obvious" means precisely because I don't think it's even close to fully established yet. There will be growing pains. And it's apparent right now that different standards are being applied in different leagues and for different types of offences (as I pointed out in my initial posts on the German match, for me it defies logic that the awarded penalty was a clear and obvious miss but the highlighted challenge wasn't clearly and obviously an SFP red card). In a few years, maybe it will be absolutely commonplace for these type of decisions to result in penalties (it will then be interesting for a soccer historian/statistician to examine how many more goals are being scored and how high ratio of penalties/goals has gone--VR might not just change the way we officiate, it might change the very nature of the game). But I think that is the sort of thing that gets ironed out over time and it's wrong to believe after a couple weeks in a few major domestic leagues we are already there.

Which incident are you talking about here?

Regardless, it is interesting you bring up slow-motion in this discussion, because the protocols explicitly say that slow-motion can be viewed by the referee, but should only be used for "point of contact" of fouls and handballs--normal speed is to be used for determining the intensity of a challenge and the deliberate nature of a handball.

5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    http://www.football-italia.net/108572/rizzoli-‘more-calm-var’

Rizzoli with some comments after first week of VAR.

Standard about patience and people getting used to it, etc.

This was the interesting quote for me.

“The assistant can and must wait for the game to develop in the penalty box and, after the action has been completed, raise the flag."

Basically, even though Howard Webb and others are saying nothing should in regards the way things are done on the field, Italy is not going by that idea.

I think if this experiment becomes permanent ARs, will eventually cease to call offside in the penalty area.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not totally correct. If a goal appears imminent, referees are being instructed to hold the whistle when the flag goes up so that the play can be reviewed if and once the goal is scored.

It is true that MLS ARs are being told to do nothing different on offside, however. And there is a practical reason for this: if an AR keeps the flag down in a situation that he believes is offside, and a goal is not scored, but a corner kick results, the play is not reviewable. So Webb and PRO are of the opinion that the proper call for offside needs to be made at all times because, ultimately, goals are reviewable but offside decisions are not.

Note that what Webb and PRO are instructing is different than what was instructed at Confed Cup, where FIFA told ARs to hold the flag if the next touch from a player deemed to be slightly in an OSP is going to be a shot on goal. That instruction in Russia appears to be a half-measure between what PRO is instructing and what Rizzoli is saying. Again, this is another example of the experiment needing time to figure out what works best and ultimately make things uniform.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're trying to keep the MLS stuff in the MLS forum, but wanted to post this here to further illustrate what I'm getting at above...

Take a look at the incident which starts at 5:51 here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...huge-hit-orlando-instant-replay?autoplay=true

The Chicago player carelessly (some might even say recklessly) tackles the Toronto attacker in the penalty area after the ball is gone once the attacker gets his shot off. Anywhere else on the field, this is a foul. In any classroom instruction we get, this would be a foul. But, traditionally, for better or worse, penalties aren't typically awarded for these sort of challenges. Now, with VR, we're at a fork in the road. We already have two schools of thought developing:

1) It's clearly and obviously a foul based on the LOTG, full stop. Therefore the VAR should intervene and upon the use of VR, a penalty should be awarded. (this seems to jive with the emerging Italian standard)

2) In using the "what football expects" standard that Elleray pushes and the "minimum interference - maximum benefit" that is the overarching mantra of the VAR protocols, you arrive at the conclusion that no one (save Toronto partisans and Simon Borg) really expects this to be a PK because traditionally incidents like this aren't sanctioned and VR isn't meant to completely change the way the Laws are applied. Therefore, the VAR should not intervene because this is not a clear and obvious error. (this is definitely the standard Webb and PRO are pushing)

This is the crux of the issue on penalty decisions. These are two very different interpretations of what "clear and obvious" means and that has huge practical implications. This needs to be ironed out well before Russia and it is one of the biggest challenges FIFA will face.

socal lurker and ColoradoRef repped this.
  8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @feyenoordsoccerfan , do you know if the below penalty (and resulting 2CT) was reviewed by VAR? The reason I ask is that it appears the guilty defender fully let go of the attacker by the time the ball was struck, so a penalty would be technically the wrong restart (we can debate separately whether a 2CT could and would then stand). I say it looks that way, but we don't have all the angles a VAR would have, so just wondering if they reviewed and allowed the penalty to stand or if they did not review--because this is an interesting scenario for VR that I hadn't thought of before.

9. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    My feeling on these, that incident aside, is that if the foul is careless, then I'm quite accepting of what seems to be the current practice (not necessarily happy, but will accept it). My problem comes when you see reckless and excessive force fouls in these situations that aren't being called.

This type of situation should not be a "free pass" to do what you will, and I hope that some rationalization on these can become clear in the near future to get consistency, and still not allow the free pass in more dangerous situations.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So maybe something more like this?

Agreed wholeheartedly on the first part of your statement. The only problem with the second part of your statement is where we draw the line in the age of VR. "You can carelessly foul your opponent after they shoot but not foul them recklessly" isn't exactly a standard that we can start teaching referees--at least I don't think it is--even if it is the standard that might have the widest acceptance from all the stakeholders.

11. As far as I know it wasnot, as the VAR is only used in the KNVB Cup matches. I'm not aware of expansion into the league matches.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, my fault. Given the introduction in Germany and Italy, I thought the Netherlands expanded VAR into the league. My mistake.

13. Not at all. To keep track of who's doing what when in which circumstances in different languages is asking too much. That's why using tags is the clever way to tap in the knowledge of the locals about things happening there.

14. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    If your classroom instructions doesn't match up with real world expectations then that is a problem for your educational system, not for VAR principles. And if a situation normally isn't given as a foul (as you say and I agree with) then it is a fallacy to say in your next sentence that it definitely is a foul. The reasoning you present isn't the only possible explanation for what seems to be the Italian standard, in fact I'd say that it is unlikely to be the actual reasoning.

I still think that you are skipping steps in your reasoning about "clear and obvious" and that means that your two interpretations are incorrectly formulated. You only question IF the call is normally made when you instead, IMO, need to first separate situations based on WHY the call is or isn't normally made. If you look at the situations from this perspective you get a different division of situations.

First you have situations like the MLS one where, as you say, the call isn't always (or normally even) made due to tradition or "league standard" or whatever you call the judgement of the referee on the day. These are situations that, IMO, aren't suited for VAR reviews as there isn't a clear standard for it being a foul at all and thus it's hard for it to be a "clear and obvious" error.

Then you you have situations like the Serie A one where the call isn't always made due to it not always being seen. This is something that VAR reviews is well suited to help with as the additional angles and multiple views mean that you can be reasonably sure that the incident is in fact seen.You then apply the "normal" standard for such situations on the additional information you have of the incident ("it's 100% a foul" I think you said) and if that answer doesn't match with the on-pitch decision you have a "clear and obvious error" and the decision gets changed.

Now I don't know if the second principle is what's widely used but it is, IMO at least, a clear and logical standard that jives with the "what football expects", with a lot of the decisions we've seen and it also fits well with the offside review decisions that some (you included IIRC) had issues with.

I agree, if there isn't an agreed upon and well defined principle of how "clear and obvious" works and which situations it should apply to then there is a good chance that not only will it make the 2018 WC a shambles but it might also destroy video reviews as a concept in football for a long time.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a very good and thorough response. I think you've got a lot of stuff right here. I do quibble with the idea that something can be a foul in an instructional setting but not traditionally a foul on the field when it's in the penalty area, however. Regardless, we will have to see where this goes. Penalties and SFP are going to be where this lives or dies (especially penalties).

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be my favorite one, yet, because it combines the issues of possible simulation with the in/out penalty area decision. From Poland:

https://streamable.com/qibrl

Foul called just outside the area for a DFK. Yellow card issued for the challenge. Wall set for restart. Referee (Marciniak, who as an aside is is one of the absolute best in the world right now) gets pinged by the VAR to take another look--that ping has to be due to location of the foul and not simulation, since simulation outside the penalty area is not reviewable. Upon review, the DFK is changed to a PK. Subsequent protests result in another yellow for dissent.

Now, when you watch the replay it's very clear that the attacker does not get touched on his right leg. If there is any contact, it had to be on the left leg (which, to be fair, is the leg he grabs). But I don't think any of the replays confirm contact. The replays collectively do, however, show that any contact with that leg would have been in the penalty area, so if a foul did occur, a penalty was the proper call. So gaming this out, per the protocols I believe Marciniak had a few choices:

1) He could do what he did, which is assert that the replays did not show the awarding of a foul to be a clear and obvious error (which would make sense if he was sure he saw contact from his angle), use the collective replays to determine that contact was in the area, and award a PK.

2a) He could conclude that the replays show no contact and that the attacker simulated. Because the act of simulation was inside the penalty area, making this a penalty decision, he could then rescind the yellow card, give an IFK to the defense, and caution the attacker.

2b) He could conclude that the replays show no contact but that because he called the foul outside the area and did not award a penalty, his hands are tired. If this was his conclusion, the yellow card stays and the attacking team gets its DFK, despite VR showing simulation in the referee's opinion.

In this particular instance, given Marciniak's certainty and the relative lack of protest at the moment the foul occurred, I'll accept #1 being the best option. However, if this isn't actually simulation it is very close to being so and it's not hard to imagine the exact same scenario with no contact being confirmed (or a referee who is less sure using the video to change his mind). When that play happens, I don't think there's an answer between 2a and 2b--we're just rolling the dice at this point.

I've harped on the "clear and obvious" standard for penalties being the biggest practical issue with VAR for the public and I still think it is. But the technical stuff around DFKs right outside the penalty area and what can and can't be reviewed (or what can and cannot be changed once a review happens) has the potential to be a nightmare. Because the way the system is right now, a foul 18.1 yards away from goal could get reviewed, confirmed outside the area but shown to be total simulation, and the attacking team would keep its DFK. When that happens and a team scores on a big stage, watch out.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

Here are highlights of the game Buffon is talking about.

In two Juventus games this season, there have been more penalties awarded by VAR then I think in all of MLS.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did a card come with the second penalty?

What do you think of the Polish incident, @RedStar91?

20. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    @MassachusettsRef Yes. A card was shown I believe according to the espnfc.com statistics.

This is Italy and not MLS where a card is shown on almost every handling offense in the penalty area.

As far as the Polish play, I really don't know. VAR is putting referees in impossible situations that they never were before.

It's almost impossible to figure out what the right call is there. You can't have a system where certain decisions are fact based i.e. yes or no and others having a "clear and obvious." You get paradoxes like this.

It looks like simulation there, but if it is, it might be the greatest simulation I've ever seen. Really hard to believe that he could simulate that.

Pre-VAR, I don't think anyone would object with the original call on the field. No one would say anything post match. But with VAR, it's either a dive or a PK and it depends what team you're supporting.

Situations like this are less than 10 months away in Russia...

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  21. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    On the Genoa PK the attacker looks to be offside, we don't see the left back in the picture but still. Is offside up for review on PK situations? It is for goals right?

22. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my thought too - offside (since attacker plays ball before foul) negates the PK, and VAR would need to see that to know not to recommend review

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This penalty award was deemed clearly and obviously wrong on review.

I get the instruction that if the ball bounces off another part of the body and the player has no time to react, you have a clue that it's not deliberate. But there is the counter-argument that going to ground like that with your arm in that position is taking a risk and you are responsible for the consequences. Seems debatable to me.

24. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Forget the issue of whether or not that is deliberate handling, the GK is wearing the same white jersey (less a green/black shoulder) as the defenders. ;)

rh89 repped this.
  25. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Maybe the "clear and obvious" got lost in translation in Italy when IFAB/FIFA sent them the manual on VAR.

I don't know how you over turn the decision there. If he doesn't give it, VAR is not overturning and giving it, so the same standard should apply if it is. Really a pure judgement call that can really go either way.

In a class room setting it is 50/50 or 60/40 on it being a penalty.