News: VAR Experiment (video referees 2016-2018)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dutch KNVB is in cooperation with the FIFA preparing a proposal for the use of video during the "Eredivisie"matches.
    This proposal is going to be submitted to the Board that oversees all changes in the rules.

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    How will they be using video? Curious....

3. If I understand the information correctly it is like in Ice Hockey, but I can be wrong.

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 msilverstein47, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  6. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    According to Wiki...

Often referred to as "TMO" or "Video referee", a television match official may be appointed to assist the referee in determining whether points have been scored. A television match official can only rule on exactly what the referee asks them (and in most unions they can only be asked about events in-goal or immediately before entering in-goal). Television match officials are commonly used in first class and international televised games.

7. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, if video refereeing is going to be a thing in soccer, I hope they do it the way it's done in rugby. That way, the official on the field stays in control, and it's more like consulting an AR or 4O than just deferring the decision to someone else.

8. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
  9. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    There are often decisions now where you don't know if the AR or the CR made the call. How is this any different? Just one more set of eyes with different angles.

10. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually if it is the referee asking for information (as they do from AR or 4O) I like this proposal VERY much. There would be no real stoppage, the referee is is on the headset anyway, and it is as @akindc said another member of the crew, not an almighty over-ruling eye in the sky that could be at odds with the crew.

11. The KNVB is going to inform and explain to the FIFA the trial being executed with Video Refereeing.
    "We can show that matches have a fairer course now", KNVB executive De Jong says.
    The FA is now already working with a Video Referee in the background for 2 years, who gives advice in match defining moments on the basis of tv images.
    The international board for the rules up till now opposes the use of video footage. The KNVB wants to change that.

12. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Have you noticed anything from a fan's perspective?

13. To be honest, no. But it isnot executed in the open on the video screens in the stadiums yet. It is done in the back ground, so fans do not notice it.

14. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    What do they mean "match defining moments" and how do they manage to intervene in those without the fans being aware that review from off-field caused a change in a call?

15. I guess things like handsball, off side leading to goals or the other way around, so when a goal is scored or illegaly prevented or a send off induced.
    The intervention is being done via the "ear piece", so they never know when it was induced by the video referee. I also guess they do it in a limited number of matches each match round, because it is a trial. The fans do not know if there is a video referee present.

16. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    This doesn't make sense. Surely it would be obvious when replay changes a decision, since there will be a significant delay between the event and the replay official being able to render an accurate decision.

17. Well, most of the times it will be a situation in which players will immediately start to argue with the Ref to influence his decision, so there would be a delay in an outcome of his decision anyway.
    There were occasions on television though, in which the commentator suggested that the referees decision was changed because of what he heard through his ear piece, but we donot know for sure.

18. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    So he says no PK/red card, replay official looks at replay and takes 15 seconds to decide that the referee was wrong. Then he tells the ref, the ref changes his decision and you think people aren't going to realize that video was used?

19. Well, you know that in some matches it is used, because I posted it here about the intention, but I am save to guess that 95% doesnot know it is being trialled. What you donot know You cannot react on.

20. When a decision is heavily contested, most of the times the Ref goes to his linesman to consult him, which could also be used as an act to conceal he just had a call from the video watcher. So opportunities abound to mask whether in a certain game the video ref is present.

21. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    It seems to me that the hardest decision to hide would be a goal missed by the referee. Play continues on for some time until the referee, after getting a bug in his ear, stops play and signals for a kickoff.

22. No, of course not. Interfering never can be done after play has continued. The intervention has to be done before the play is started again. Certainly in the trial it cannot be interfered in this way and hasnot taken place as such.
    Once the referee has made a decision and the play has resumed it cannot be revoked.

23. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Play didn't resume - it never stopped.

24. You're right, in your example it never bstopped. But...in case of a missed goal the denied player will protest and his team mates, which would force the referee to halt the game an "consult" the linesman.
    A missed goal is almost impossible because of goal line technology now in use.