Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    waiting for JJ Adams- after he does his due diligence- to release the document from the 12 players-- your words are well-done

why do all bureaucracies try and sweep things under the carpet, hoping they can escape truth and accountability ? in this day of whistle-blowers and people finding the right timing, forum and courage to speak, bureaucracies can- thankfully- not escape their part in such messes and abuse of power and the results it had on the 'victims'

this is now 14 women speaking about the same issue- this can not be dismissed as just a person 'out of whack'

2. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^it gets dismissed because the market doesn't care. Sad but true. The southsiders forum hasn't had any discussion about the new letter other than a couple of guys ripping each other in mockery, JJ is the only media putting this in writing and it is a general article, the fans in the stadium either dont care or dont follow the club enough to know. There is a bit on GCs and JJS twitter, but just a handful of people.

It just doesn't get traction so the Caps don't have to say a word other than "we let the police know " about this new information.

Next home game, 98% of that stadium won't know who Ciara is nor know anything about the letter from the group of 12 former players. Those that do will fly the "innocent until..." or "why did they wait 10 years" (standard practice from those that don't give a care).

Coach BIlly willl be done as a coach, maybe gets sued or a charge (if he did anything with a teenager they can prove); but as for the Caps? They are getting no heat beyond a handful of people. Meaningless to them.

3. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    At least some good came out of this. Better late than never but he should have been no where near teenagers for the last decade. I fear you are correct on the rest of your analysis however.

4. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Our second point of the season. A competition of howlers with Ousted & Henry providing. A point on the road with decent chances in the second half.

5. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Wow. Totally out-possessed except for the first 15 minutes against the best team in the league and we take 3 points. I'll take it. The team needed a win just to get over not having one. The longer it goes on the more the players psych themselves out.

Ahhhhh. First win and a second clean sheet!!

Element 7ero and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started the game strong, scored and then kind of hung on at the end but seemed like they were destined to get the 3pts. Great result!

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    it brings a smile to my face to see the LAFC players and coaches whine and complain-- arrogant-- and loose the game -- YIPEE!!

8. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Great to see more and more people talking about the scandal and the Caps and CSA alleged cover up. Ciara was on 1040 yesterday and she made a brief mention that the CSA has "scrubbed" a lot of things from their site from that era. Just another piece of news of how the Caps and CSA have been handling things since her blog post.

Even Ed Willes wrote about it and he doesnt give much writing time to the Caps

They can keep trying to stay in the shadows, only will make it worse for them.

9. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Both the Caps and CSA need to just do a "mea culpa", get a decent settlement for the victims and serious reforms that prevent any future abuses. Probably won't happen because everything will go through the legal and PR spin departments (take a look at their recent statements).

The best thing is that every player now knows "go to the police" and to hell with what the club says!

10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i am waiting for the other BIG SHOE to drop- the coach's time with Coastal Surrey FC which spanned 10-11 years-- and what part the Caps and the CSA played in Bob Birardi getting the job , what with what they knew in 2008... and are there allegations going to come ?

this isnt over and i think the Caps and CSA are shitting in their pants wondering how culpable/complicit they are from 2007-2019

it wouldnt surprise me to see some senior womens members- after the WWC in June- come forth

11. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Whenever you are tough to beat and battle hard, you are always in the hunt. That's what happened on Wednesday night. Great effort plus a big shout out to MDS for his preparation: the team did a great job of stifling LAFC's attacking tendencies.

12. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Yep, something is scaring the heck out of the Caps and the CSA. Whatever it is, it will come out.

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    While both the CSA & Caps handled the situation before the coach's departure atrociously once separated I doubt they would stick their necks out for or against him. If they did then their idiocy is truly epic.

There was no police involvement so nothing could be said against but I doubt any endorsements went out either. They were done with him and just wanted the whole thing to "go away" from their realm. "Not our problem anymore" was probably their attitude.

Just my SWAG.

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Just My take- something has happened at Coastal Surrey SC to prompt the 16 women from the 2008 team to come forward after 11 years- it aint coincidence

and thats the BIGGER shoe that will fall IMO- will it stick to the Caps Club ? it just might and thats what is more troubling to the Club than 2008

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    according to the infamous GlassCity via martin macmahon that minority Cap owner, jeff mallett, has flown up from San Fran to meet with the Southsiders today

It has to be more than just token appeasement or its a waste of his plane ticket- mallett has to get- already has- the owners to agree to substantative changes in the management level and lay it out to the supporters that significant and meaningful changes are coming asap and hopefully these changes include meeting the women- 16 in total- who have come forth with very damaging stuff about the Club, and the issue with racism by an existing youth coach

anything less will be just be bureaucratic rhetoric and mallett doesnt strike me a man who is here to just flap his gums- at least he has the courage, unlike the other 3 owners who remain infamously silent and could seemingly care less about what is going on

here's hoping-- and maybe mallett will also announce player investment money coming as early as this coming summer

Element 7ero repped this.
  16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    not much happened apparently. They tried to convince the southsiders to stop the protest by saying they were working on things behind the scenes . Southsiders said they needed public action or they would continue with the walk out; which they did.

Bottom line is the Caps will continue to be avoiding it, hoping it goes away, etc

Jeff Mallet did not come up here to deal with the allegations from 2008. he came up here because the fan walkout is embarrassing and he was hoping to convince them to stop it. Good on them for standing their ground.

Again, they need to talk to the women, speak publicly with a real person and answer questions from the media, they need to hold someone accountable for this being buried as it was (sometimes people have to lose their jobs over it, thats life), and they need to put in policies and procedures for the future (engaging Ciara would be the right move, she has worked on this for years and has a lot of knowledge).

But here is what we have:

Greg Kerfoot - never will be seen, quoted, speak, etc
    Jeff Mallet - Came up only on the day of the 2nd fan walkout in order to try to convince them to not do it
    Bobby Duze - complete silence
    Rachel Lewis - complete silence
    John Furlong - complete silence and hasn't spoken publicy about the club in years
    Greg Anderson - complete silence

Written statements with general terms and no person signing it or putting their name on it

No contact with the women who have come forward

A review of current polices is promised (nice for now but does not address the past)

THe questions still remain:

- why was the ombuds not asked to make recommendations; and then your recent statement said she made "no recommendations" implying everything was A OK

- why was a coach terminated for conduct with teen girls able to coach another decade with teen girls

- why did the ombuds not speak with the players or the parents

- why did the club not ask the police to come in since some of the allegations potentially fell under criminal offences

- why wont the club invite the women who put forth their stories to have a conversation and work towards repairing this broken relationship.

I could go on, but to me, nothing was solved or moved ahead with Mallet's visit yesterday.

Its the same style of company culture that we have had for 10+ years.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE END... AND THE END IS COMING FAST

after 40 years of being a STH, i am loosing my passion for coming to the games- i had a lot more enjoyment at swangard during the days of semi-pro and USL and rarely missed a game with my son tagging along since he was 6

i am starting to miss games and getting seriously tired and pissed off with a Club that praises mediocrity- at best- and lacks honor and honesty in being forthright about issues that are plaquing the Club and its image in this great soccer market

the under 18 000 crowd for a saturday afternoon game might just be the beginning of supporters deciding to walk away, not just to the concourse- anger will end with silence and the death of a desire to support the Caps

what do i need to see over the next 3 months:

1. an open, frank talk about the 2 major issues facing the ownership and FO, and concrete results such as dismissals, meeting with women who have been impacted and a structure that sets accountability and standards that honor integrity and openness

2. two significant signings by july with the Caps spending the davies transfer money to the tune of at least $6 mill USD

My biggest hope is that the Shadow- greg kerfoot-, the majority owner decides to sell a significant portion of the franchise to a interested owner that lives and breathes soccer, the Caps history and the community and is willing to lead by being visible, communicative and willing to spend $$$$$$$ to capture this terrific market before it dies

am i asking too much ??

18. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1743 OldFan2015, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    ^You are asking too little. The only true solution long term is for Kerfoot to be gone. Period. He has had a 15 year run and he started of well. But once they hit the MLS it was just a piss poor performance since then (over all from top to bottom).

It is not a well run club, they have no desire to grow beyond where they are, they had multiple seasons where they intentionally turned away ticket buyers to keep their attendance at a certain level, there are scandals, poor management, lack of player development, the youth academy is not producing MLS players, they avoid and are never proactive.. I could go on, its a long list.

We will lose this club if he keeps going. Eventually the market will become so poor that the business case to keep it here will be minimal and the only people willing to buy it will be those wanting to move it to another market.

It is extraordinary that the club can draw 20k after the 8 year performance they have put up in MLS. That tells me this market could be a 30k - 40k market for big games and the full 27,000 lower bowl most other games. That can make the financials work for better players. But NO< they wont think like that.

I know Bobby takes all the shit, but he takes his orders from you know who. This club is run in a way that makes it a joke

ANd I am angry at them that they have taken my passion for the pro teams in Vancouver away from me. The reason I bitch is because I care bout the history. I have studied the history more than most people to be honest. But you know, I am close to not caring. Very close. That upsets me.

I am about done as well, and that makes me sad.

19. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Well some progress on one front:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/20...ps-fc-co-owners-greg-kerfoot-and-jeff-mallett

and the kicker "Upon recently reading in an online blog that there may be new allegations related to 2008, we immediately reported them to the Vancouver Police Department".

Like I said, some progress. Never trust a business, always go to the cops in these situations. Put it on the record.

Now let's see what they actually do. That and I'm still waiting for the CSA to answer some questions.

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    [QUOTE="tm13, post: 37744254, member: 119928"

Now let's see what they actually do. That and I'm still waiting for the CSA to answer some questions.[/QUOTE]

it might be that the CSA were hoodwinked by the Caps about the 2008 coach- thats another story to unfold

other possible stories:

- are there more coaches involved in the same type of incidences from 2008 or shortly thereafter?

- what has happened for the 16 women to come forward after 11 years? they must have known BB was coaching girls soccer since 2008 to 2019- has something happened at Coastal Surrey ?

- when will charges be laid- if any- by the police and what will they be ?

21. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    The 2008 CSA was a gong show "old boys network". I won't be cutting them any slack. Hoodwinked by the Caps? Doubt it. Just business as usual to keep their positions and perks. Don't want anything to rock the boat.

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    if you are right, then the CSA ship is about to be tipped over - and the other ship quietly rocking is Coastal Surrey which has escaped-so far- how did BB get hired for 11 years and has anything happened to add to his Whitecap allegations ?

23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i wonder how much jeff mallett has researched into the 2008 stuff or is he taking the info he is fed by the FO and kerfoot-- and who decided to put massive controls on the info meeting with selected media ? that was really a stupid and ill-conceived idea

2 choices:

1. jeff mallett has been used by the Whitecap majority owner and FO staff led by the lenarduzzis and lewis- he is a puppet and now he must be wondering who can he trust in the Whitecap organization and what to do about it

2. he is completely onside with the Whitecap direction of bobbing, weaving, denying, back-tracking, denials and manipulations/lies

if it #1, then mallett has to decide what to do- go back to san fran and duck the on-going messes; or stay and face the supporters and local media and admit he has had most of it wrong and will do everything necessary to be transparent and truthful, and then taking concrete steps to 'right the ship'

but since he is a minority owner, can he do it without kerfoot's approval ??

24. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^Good lord, if Jeff Mallet is being given false information by the people involved (kerfoot and his FO), and selling it publicly, he will be pissed.

The problems and lies in their apology and timeline have been exposed through various discussions (not hard to figure out for anyone), so I am leaning to believe that Jeff Mallet is on board with trying to get his FO and business partner out of this unscathed; and is aware of the discrepancies and the actual truth.

The way they have dealt with this is so bizarre and has made it 100 times worse for them. Jesus, if they just made a phone call to Ciara McCormack after her first post and entered into a dialogue things would have gone much different. Maybe someone would have to lose their job or retire or be moved out of a leadership role, but that is part of business. She held back those emails for a reason, she is escalating in stages each time they try to sneak out of this and will continue until they finally face it head on.

They are giving a master class in how a corporate business should NOT deal with workplace harassment allegations.

25. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    2 PKs against, a goal called back and yet we win a road game 3-2 in Colorado. 3 goals from open play, Freddy with a goal and assist to break out of his slump. I was thinking we were going to get VAR'd out of 3 points again but the players came through.