Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Well, if he wants to stay in MLS, his personal marketing team of Christian Jack will be working hard to help promote his reputation.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i never saw any evidence that he is capable of learning from his mistakes- he continued to sign weak-incompetent non-MLS players year-after-year, often using the same player agency and contacts; and after trading beitashour to TFC in 2015- and after having a great defence, then suffering the next year-, he did the same with tim parker in order to get the $500 K for drawing down the salary of juarez... and we all know how that turned out in 2018, and our defence stunk

i am not convinced that Carl is capable of admitting he has a weak eye for talent and makes poor personnel decisions- its not in his personal and soccer DNA; - its why the team had a 50% turn-over year-upon-year

any team thinking of hiring him should do some serious research first- listening to people like KJ will only lead to disappointment and ultimate mediocrity at best

i am really happy that the Club has decided to establish its own scouting system in order to build success and accountability- relying on outside agencies hasnt worked and has led to millions being wasted- i am convinced that if robo had have signed parker and used the juarez-blondell money on better performing players, we would have made the playoffs

3. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I'm betting England in the lower D2 (Championship) or D3 (whatever they call that now).

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, no surprise but it is now official. MDS is coach. Should be an interesting off-season.

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    and the best news is that this will be HIS CLUB-- such an enviable place to start his head coaching in MLS

- great supporters who have been loyal, patient and passionate--22 000 strong
    - a new committment from owners and FO that they want to finally build the internal structure that can have long-term success- vision, support and accountability
    - the domain of bringing in his own assistant coaches
    - a shit load of money- MLS and Owners- to go after the players HE WANTS, probably in the range of $13-15 mill USD
    - and the ability to keep, release, re-sign, trade existing players in and out of contract

MDS builds his team smart- starts in year 1 and then has success by year 2- thats been his record and i expect that will happen- the off-season will be filled with news- MDS strikes me as a person and head coach who knows what he wants and how to go about- nothing wishy-washy

finally there is potential to take this Club to a whole new level

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    and the Club did the right thing by firing carl robinson with 5 games to go- it was then able to capture MDS as other clubs were interested in him and it was time to see the commitment of the players

we now have answers from some of them- waston, tecehra, juarez - have shown their colors so its time to release them - brings 1.7 mill USD for new players

what MDS does with Kamara, reyna, marinovic, aja, maund, rowe, Blondell, emnes, ghazal, Hurtado, mutch, mezquida, henry, levis, shea- and some of the young under 20 players- will tell us a lot - some decisions are easy (keep Kamara, levis )and a few are not (mezquida, henry, marinovic, ghazal, aja)

I think he has probably already decided so let see how the next 7 weeks go

GOOD LUCK MARC DOS SANTOS... AND WELCOME TO VANCOUVER

7. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The first time I remember seeing Marc Dos Santos was in 2007 coaching Trois-Rivieres Attak in the CSL (yeah that outlaw league).

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports07/07csl016.htm

I'm pretty sure trainer Marta Dos Santos was his wife.

Nice to see I have two links as references to whoever wrote his Wikipedia bio.

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    haven't seen you here before- WELCOME!! so whats your take on the firing of robinson and the hiring of MDS ?

9. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    wow, that is a deep cut! Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

10. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Hello Robin. Missed you and your reports of games from the lower leagues. How have you been?

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The Expansion draft for Cincinnatti is on december 10, so we should have some idea by then which players- probably those on their option years or out-of-contract- are going to be released by MDS and will be seeking another club

12. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    If you hear Marcs radio spots so far, what a great refreshing man after 5 years of Carl and his overworn repetitive cliches. I am looking forward to this man at the helm.

13. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm back to bigsoccer.com after I lost track of this site for quite a few years.
    For 2018 you can find my coverage of soccer in the Greater Toronto area under the forums
    Home>Forums>Americas>Canada
    with topics 'Toronto FC II 2018 season and League 1 Ontario 2018
    with those and my TFC reports and Canadian Nat Men's and Women's teams games played in the GTA
    I figured I've covered 93 games this season.
    For reports going back to 1993 (before there was an internet and digital cameras) they're still on my site
    at http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/soccer00.htm

tm13 and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    2018 EXPANSION DRAFT, DECEMBER 11:

Major rules to know include:

• Homegrown players not on the senior roster are automatically protected
      (Justen Glad is listed on RSL’s senior roster, for context.)
    • Designated players are not automatically protected
    • Players with a no-trade clause must be protected
    • Only one player may be selected from a given team
    Full rules are available from MLS Soccer.

The following dates are relevant: since the Caps have 17 players on options, this is really important and will tell which players MDS has resigned, which players he does not want to resign and/or which players have chosen to leave on their own volition-- all this must be done in the next 17 days- he will be a busy man, but i think he already has a good idea which option players will be offered a new contract and at what salary
    • Nov. 26, option exercise deadline — teams out of the playoffs must inform the league which options they are taking on players
    • Nov. 30, option exercise deadline (b) — teams not in MLS Cup must inform the league of said options
    • Dec. 9, 7am to 11am MST, half-day trade window
    • Dec. 9, 10am MST, option exercise deadline (c) — teams that participated in MLS Cup must inform the league of contract options they’re taking on players
    • Dec. 9, 11am MST, blackout period — no trades or signings
    • Dec. 11, 12pm MST, MLS Expansion Draft
    • Dec. 11, 1pm MST, Free Agency begins
    • Dec. 12, 2pm MST, MLS Waiver Draft
    • Dec. 14, 1pm MST, MLS Re-Entry Draft, Stage One
    • Dec. 20, 12pm MST, MLS Re-Entry Draft, Stage Tw

15. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...ntos-set-maximize-identity-club?autoplay=true

Good interview with MDS. The only question I would have asked is "Did you feel slighted when you didn't even get an interview for Canada's MNT?". Their loss, LAFC's (and now the Caps) gain.

One of the things he said in his Vancouver interview was that he has a possession type philosophy towards soccer (or something like that). My ears perked up

16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    THe CSA really really really wanted Herdmann so he didn't have a chance. I am not sure he had the experience to take on the MNT after Floro got the sack. We had a run of Canadian coaches for a few cycles there before Floro and I figure the CSA wanted to stay international.

I can see MDS being our MNT coach one day; but not for a while. Unless something utterly horrible happens during 2022 qualifying ,I figure Herdmann has until 2026 no matter what. He has a lot of influence with the CSA so I would expect he made a strong request that they give him the home World Cup regardless of 2022 results.

17. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Whoever "they" is can change. It's politics at the CSA and a new head with new support might decide for a change in direction, regardless of the promises made by the previous regime (unless the contract is so written that if he got let go before 2026, he'd get a king's ransom in severance). The biggest thing is with regards to expectations: with some of these young guys, like Davies, that level is changing. He can play the underdog, blue collar, lunch box brigade stuff all he wants and try to keep stuff in perspective, but the fan base (and the especially the top guys at the CSA) will probably be expecting much, much more in results.

18. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Fixed it for you. No charge :)

It was Octavio Zambrano not Benito Floro that was being replaced. MDS has way more experience with the mens' game than Herdmann.

I keep having to fix your stuff oldfan. I may start charging. :eek:

19. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    You mean like the guy the CSA hired from Basketball Canada and then promptly fired him when he was going to get rid of the old boys network? Lose 1 to 1.5 million in a lawsuit and keep your job.

My expectations have gone up considering all the players who've signed on since Tesho and Larin. It is an impressive lineup.
    I differ on the second part. The top guys at the CSA want someone who won't rock the boat. To them results only have to be good enough to avoid another "Sack the CSA" campaign that draws negative attention to themselves.

20. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Could you imagine what would happen if we have the most impressive line up available and we shit the bed at next year's Gold Cup? I assure you that there'll be plenty of boat rocking, except it won't be by the coach. Both Herdman and the CSA top guys will be in the crosshairs.

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I agree Loverboy Herdmann would be safe even if they bombed out of the Gold Cup. I think he survives not qualifying for 2022 unless it is some incredible disaster that leaves the CSA no choice.

Honestly, I hope he does do a great job. He is blessed with more young offensive talent than we have ever had, he is likely to have a top 25 player in the world 3 - 4 years from now, and is going to be in the 2026 WC for sure, with a good chance at 2022. . It's a good spot for him. He did a lot of great things with the women's program, but it is so different. We were far ahead of most of FIFA as far as the women's game when he took over, and there is a lot more team unity when dealing with humble women players who are making 40 grand a year or were not even making money playing the game. It's a whole different game with professional men making hundreds of thousands and playing all over the world.

It is exciting times for our national team program. We need to find some defense though; but what a list of talent we have. (relative to Canadian history).

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    yup, but you need to understand-- its OLDfan- we all need to accommodate and be patient with who he is

24. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I wish our MNT players and coach all the best and I'm looking forward to the Gold Cup. I really want to win that. We need to do that and put ourselves on the map in CONCACAF. He really has no excuses for a mediocre much less bad showing.

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    from what i have seen, this group of players while being the most offensive talent EVER, also has a unity and passion to do something significant- they are hungry and driven to succeed and they have the talent to do it, including next years Gold Cup- i believe they can turn some heads, maybe not winning it, but being a serious contender for the upset like we did in the 2000 G C- our achilles heel, as we all recognize, is our defence which lacks pace and credible experience

coach john herdman must be shaking the bushes for defensive-minded players with some link to canada who he can entice to join the Red and White

for the first time since 1986, i am HOPEFUL