Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i agree- yordy has been the Caps best player over the last 6 weeks- he has surpassed my expectations

but as i said months ago, reyna is the key to any whitecap playoff hopes

another surprise over the month has been aly ghazal

2. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    #1502 tm13, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Very much so. Unfortunately he will miss the Seattle game due to yellow card accumulations. Aly and Russ have been much better but I still think we need a bona fide DM who can do the job solo to free up another mid spot for a two way mid who can contribute offensively as well.

I am curious which agent Yordy is with? Some decent reporter might want to keep track of sources of players and if they work out or bomb out. Or should we start calling them "repeaters" instead of "reporters" because a lot of them just seem to repeat stuff.

3. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Well we got all 6 off the bottom team in the league so to paraphrase Monty Python "We're not dead yet". Portland drew so there are 3 teams at 1.57/8 PPG ahead of us. RSL, Portland & Seattle. LA has been leaking goals like crazy and have dropped back but it is one of those 3 we need to pass.

We seem to be a team that stops other team's runs so here comes Seattle on a record 8 game win streak. 24 of their 41 points have been during this 2 month run. Time to shut them down and find a way to take 3.

Seattle (H), Dallas (H), LAG (A), TFC (A), SKC, (H), LAFC (A), Portland (H).

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well, i have the list of players that have been signed since robo's tenure started- a list of 59 which only 3 have remained- waston, mezquida and teibert- a turnstile average of 11 players each year coming and going

the cost of wasting MLS salary money runs into the multiple millions, especially in the signing of inept non-MLS players which has continued year after year and there is growing speculation- at this point- as to why that is- this year, we have big gaffes in juarez, blondell and mutch and that alone amounts to over $1 mill USD from the MLS bank

this, more than anything, is what should bring robinson down as head coach- we can only imagine if a coach with better judgment in talent had have had the millions to sign better quality players and build a serious contender even with just the MLS available salary pots- add owners' money from the davis transfer- say in the $2-3 mill range- for 2019 and keeping the same coaching staff is IMO wasted

yordy reyna (contract ends december 31, 2018 with a 2 year option) is with
    FFOSA SPORTS

check this out: https://www.transfermarkt.com/vancouver-whitecap/berateruebersicht/verein/6321

lots of gaps, lots of players whose contracts end on dec 31, 2018; unfortunately, anthony blondell goes until dec 31, 2020

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    and we have juarez until dec 31, 2019... unless he is move somehow which would be the best

6. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Congrats to the Southsiders for cleaning up the Waston mess and getting quality leadership back. Peter , who resigned his VP position over the refusal of the former board to deal with the fallout , is now President. And a great friend of the game in Vancouver, John Knox, is the VP. A great pair of leaders who are passionate about the club and the community.

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    JJ Adams column in the paper:

https://theprovince.com/sports/socc...this-season-will-leave-scars-on-the-whitecaps

he never mentioned the biggest scars- THE SUPPORTERS who have been ripped off year-after-year by incompetence, arrogance, and indifference

players and coaches who have scars will be gone next year or within a few years- MINE will be staying...as i have been for the past 40 years

JJ Adams doesnt have a god damn clue what it feels like, but he has pity for the players- GO FIGURE

8. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^That was a really shallow article. Not much meat to it at all.

9. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Well we continue to piss away opportunities to climb into the playoff picture. With all three of the teams ahead of us (RSL, Seattle and Portland) losing this was prime time to climb but we didn't. So we are "not dead yet" but LAG are looking more dangerous and right behind us in PPG.

The last 2 weeks have been great opportunities but we just don't take advantage of them. Doesn't bode well.

10. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    They are what their record says they are.

I wonder if the club plans to extend it's 12% off season tickets special beyond the September 25th deadline? I can't see a big surge of purchase over the next two days.

11. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Probably not. It would appear too desperate. They will probably wait until they have a "new and improved" story to tell like a new coach (and staff) and do a second season ticket drive in the spring before the season starts.

BearcatSA repped this.
  12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    a new coaching staff with intelligence and expertise for recruiting better players, a FO held to more accountability for ensuring that the new signings have real, proven quality and an influx of davies' transfer money to the tune of $2-3 mill USD beyond the regular MLS moneys will give us some hope that this circus of mediocrity and soccer signings madness will end

stay with the same routine and i will attend ad hoc, like 5-7 games

arent we all tired of the same robo spin??

the sad reality is that he shows the stubbornness of keeping to his failed recruiting program and the foolish trading of key players over the years (camilo, beitashour, ousted and parker)- young coaches learn from their mistakes and some dont

CoronaOrange and BearcatSA repped this.
  13. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    The writing is on the wall. I think the Duze's statement about "too much money on the bench" is the damning evidence that Robbo is gone.

In his defence, I still don't see a team that has quit on him (like we've seen elsewhere in MLS this season). I do see a team that isn't being taught and trained to be better than the sum of its parts. And in the last couple of seasons I haven't seen a guy with a plan beyond throwing spaghetti at a wall and seeing what sticks in terms of player acquisition.

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    lenarduzzi has to hold some of the blame for many of the robo signings that are busts- he had to agree to them- saying the player signings are the coach's decision makes the Duze sound more like a pablum CEO rather than a leader who holds people accountable for what the results are

both robo and lenarduzzi are co-responsible for the millions of player salaries that have been wasted over the past 5 years, with 2018 being the worst

i want robo gone (maybe he can open a spaghetteria) and bobby moved to a PR-media front guy as he still has cachet in the vancouver market and i know he bleeds blue and white, something i respect- IMO over the past 4 decades, he has been a terrific servant for soccer in the vancouver market and in canada

the owners need to give us supporters HOPE that they will get involved and lead the Caps into 2019 with a new set of highly-qualified CEO and scouting and coaching staff

15. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, well. Looks like your HC has been fired, if Taylor Twellman knows anything.

ETA: Pert and Kerr gone as well.

CoronaOrange repped this.
  16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see who they can attract to Vancouver. Not holding my breath.

17. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Well, the career resurrection of Mr. Emnes is over. Nothing like a trialist during the playoff drive to put the cherry on top of your tenure as coach.

Good riddance.

MDS is interviewing elsewhere, so perhaps this sense of urgency is connected to that. We shall see this week.

By no means is he a savior, this organization has a lot of problems that go far beyond the coach. But he can't do any worse in his salary cap management than Carl has (especially this year which has been atrocious), and he will come at a price the Caps like and will play ball with the budget handed to him.

An energy bump from a new coach could make a nice run to end the season.

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Carl Robinson firing:

his regular pattern of signing non-MLS players who didnt work out cost the club multi-millions of MLS salary money, 2018 being the worst recruiting of his 5 year tenure

on sunday, over 30% of the MLS salary budget was glued to the bench or in the viewing booth... and it has been a regular feature of his tenure

the revolving door of players coming and leaving the club- 59 over 4.5 years!!!!- was a sign that he was either incompetent or foolishly went through the same well of failure and never learned... or he had some other agenda

he also was the lead in letting defenders steven beitashour (2015) and tim parker (2017) go to other teams, and trading goalie david ousted (2017), causing the team to go from being one of the best defensive teams in MLS (2015 and 2017) to one of the worst (2016 and 2018)-- its no coincidence

there are other reasons that i could talk about, but its the best thing that could have happened for the Whitecaps- why it took so long is astonishing

with marco dos santos interviewing for the SJ job, the Caps owners and FO decided to move quickly- its my expectation that he will be the next Cap head coach- now he will have time to evaluate the team and make decisions as to which players to resign, which players will be in the draft for cincy, which players to try to trade, which to let go and how best to fill in the glaring holes, especially when the remarkable talent of alphonso davies will not be around for 2019- the rumor has it marco's brother might be an assistant coach and its why only 1 assistant coach has been fired also, along with the goalie coach

this offers me fresh hope and might just make me take my 41st year of being a Whitecap STH

CoronaOrange repped this.
  19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    further- the Caps have announced that academy coach, craig dalrymple, will be the interim head coach for the rest of the season- IMO, the players have known that the firing was coming and, to their credit, most still gave 100% on the field

it will give the new head coach- and i think it will be marco dos santos, along with his brother as assistant- the time to take in some games with an eye to evaluating the players- who will he try to move out and what positions will he need to fill

the timing is perfect.... and i hope robo's 'super' agent, david baldwin, is not on dos santos' phone list

20. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Great prediction, Kreskin! The new story line means that they can keep early bird season ticket sale prices at a higher level.

21. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    And I'm actually old enough to remember "The Amazing Kreski" :eek:

I'm not surprised and I hope they get MDS. He should have got the CMNT job but good for the Caps if they get him.

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    A LITTLE ABOUT MARC DOS SANTOS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Dos_Santos

Honours

• 2007 Head coach – Open Canada Cup Champions
    • 2008 Head coach – Canadian Soccer League Division Champions
    • 2008 Head coach – Canadian Soccer League Regular Season Champions
    • 2008 Head coach – Nomination for Coach of the Year
    • 2008 Assistant coach – Canadian Cup Champions (Nutrilite Championship)
    • 2008 Assistant coach – Quarter Finals of the CONCACAF Champions League
    • 2009 Head coach – USL Championship winner
    • 2009 Head coach – Nomination for Coach of the Year
    • 2010 Head coach – Semi–final of the USSF D2
    • 2012 Head coach – Brazilian Youth Champions U–15
    • 2015 Head coach – 2015 NASL Manager of the Year
    • 2015 Head coach – NASL Fall Season (Claussura) Champions
    • 2015 Head coach – NASL Soccer Bowl runner–up
    • 2015 Head coach – League record: 648 consecutive minutes without conceding a goal. NASL League
    • 2015 Head coach – League record: 14 matches without conceding a goal NASL
    • 2015 Head coach – League record: 12 matches without losing away from home
    • 2016 Head coach – USL Western Conference Champions
    • 2016 Head coach – USL Championship runner–up
    • 2017 Head coach – 2017 NASL Manager of the Year
    • 2017 Head coach – 2017 NASL Soccer Bowl Championship Winner

23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    THE BIG MISTAKE

Robinson was responsible for both coaching and scouting and, to a certain extent, player negotiation. He was given a budget by senior management, but given free rein to spend it as he saw fit.

basically, the owners and FO never had any accountability placed on robo- that simply is a foolish running of any corporation- hopefully the owners will make the FO and coaching staff accountable for the allotted money and the accompanying results

OTHER REVELATIONS:

Lenarduzzi :

- says the club plans on having up to three designated players — or high-priced players acquired through the Byzantine targeted allocation money process — next year. But there won’t likely be an investment at the executive level in a sporting director, the soccer version of a general manager.

- I honestly think it will always be the coach who will make that final decision. If we can add personnel to the recruitment side, that will provide additional support that we haven’t had up to now,

MY HOPE:

- cutting present salaries to be/could be shaved-
    shea- $745 000; juarez (each team is allowed to exit a salaried player)- $620 000; felipe- $425 000; ibini- $304 000; mutch- $284 000; marinovic- $162 500; franklin- $150 000;
    rowe- $135 000; maund- $189 500; flores- $54 500;

TOTAL= $2.8 MILLION

if waston wants to leave, add another $604 000

if the owners commit to adding $3-4 mill to this money, the new head coach has a lot of money to make additions, somewhere between $6-7 mill

and done properly, that makes the Caps a serious playoff team

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i hope that waston comes to accept the decision and contentedly stays- kendall is the backbone of the defense and a leader

tm13 repped this.
  25. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Oh the pitchforks and torches are out for Bobby more than Carl. There seems to be quite a blind spot to Carl's poor record of international signings and the general majority seem to think he was hard done by.

Kristian jack's article had blatant lies in it. Saying that when Portland won the MLS cup they were a financial powerhouse (when that season the Caps spent more on payroll that Portland, and have richer owners, a bigger stadium, and a larger market) is one glaring example.

However, as we all have talked about here, the #1 issue starts at the top. So if the marketplace is focusing their anger on ownership spending (which means quality DP's), then I am all for it because the is really where it starts.