Van Basten - the best centre forward I`ve ever seen

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Don Carlo, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Don Carlo

Don Carlo Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I`m not talking the amount of goals scored because Muller, Eusebio and 2 or 3 others no doubt have better goal to game ratios and stats only tell half the story anyway, I`m talking overall, technical ability, the variety of goals he scored and his overall completeness as a player.

Injuries aside, when Van Basten was on his best form and at his best I think he was the best player to ever be classed as a `centre forward` or `number 9.`

His strongest competition is probably Ronaldo R9 and I know a lot of people regard R9 as the best CF ever and that`s fine, he`d probably be my 2nd choice, great player, but for me Marco van Basten was the best and if he and Ronaldo played in the same team I think Van Basten would seen as the better player, just like he was in that excellent Milan side that had Gullit, Rijkaard, Baresi, Maldini etc.

Cheers.

COYS and PDG1978 repped this.
  2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    if the two playing side by side, no one will even remember Van basten was there!

carlito86 and S1na repped this.
  3. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Depends what the team system is:

Nothing would be more effective than setting up your team to supply Der Bomber.

While van Basten and Ronaldo would fair better in a team not built around them, as they are more 'complete' strikers.

I don't think we'll ever see another finisher like Gerd Müller. The true goalscoring phenomenon.

COYS and msioux75 repped this.
  4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Agree... Muller was the best "poacher" ever lived and played - the term poacher might be misleading though, but I meant, he was KING in finshing and inside the box

Ronaldo Van Basten Eursebo and Romario were all "complete Center FW" -
    I agree Van Basten could play as versatile as Ronaldo (any where left right center, and behind striker)
    only we had seen the great pair Romario and Ronaldo.

5. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In terms of a winning combination... Laudrup behind Romário-Ronaldo would be a spectacle. I would have loved to see Platini feeding van Basten.

6. Don Carlo

Don Carlo Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Haha, good one.

7. Don Carlo

Don Carlo Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Yes Platini feeding MVB would have been awesome. I`ve always imagined Zidane and Van Basten playing in the same team, both very elegant players and IMO the top 2 players between the Maradona to Messi period.

8. Don Carlo

Don Carlo Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Yes, Muller is IMO the single greatest goal poacher in history, he might not be able to pull a rabbit from his ass when the team is not playing well like MVB or R9 could but there might be no better player to supply the ammunition to than Muller.

What I really like about Marco is you could put him in any team in any formation and he`d do a great job because of his overall ability and intelligence. He was a great `tap in` striker as well, he could do everything extremely well and most things great.

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    haha not really,
    Platini will take chance to SHARE goals with Basten :p
    (Platini, Zico, Rivaldo ... are similar type as they could create but also likes to go up scoring)

I would say (in term of "feeding" ):

1- Zidane behind Ronaldo vs Laudrup behind Van Basten or Kopa behind Romario (or vice versa)

2- Just for fun: (that would be fair compatible between Euro/SA)

Zico behind Basten vs Platini behind Romario
    Maradona behind Muller vs Puskas/Di Stefano behind Ronaldo

10. Don Carlo

Don Carlo Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    You`d need an extremely strong defence to keep any of those duo`s from scoring in 90 mins.I`ll say that, 4 or Franco Baresi`s would struggle, haha.

11. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England

this is such a dumb remark.. whilst soemtiems you make intelligent remarks..

why so dumb now ?

trust me eveyrbody claimign ronaldo was the better players knows shit on football.. maybe ronaldo the betetr striker just maybe................but...............

very lazy 10 players need to do all the work because ronaldo 9also romario for exampel) was a lazy bastard who refuesd to work for the team.

whilst a player liek van basten also worked.. if van basten kinda player is in bad shape he works hard for the team if ronaldo kidna player is in bad shape he is useless

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I am NOT DUMB, but you did it DUMBER, since you had NOT EVEN watched Ronaldo at his PEAK period
    In his best Ronaldow as ALL OVER the PITCH from center left and right ... OK:?

ONLY and that 's MOST younger fans who only watched POST injured Ronaldo = lazy like Romario AGREED
    Now,
    Even LAZY, Ronaldo could flip a MOMENT with his dribble run and finishing MORE FLASHY than Basten
    thats' what I meant, people woyld not remember Basten, next to R9 !

nOW, 2 CLEAR things Ronaldo did better: (it's NOT even a maybe)
    1- In WC/Copa he was Clear betetr than Basten Euro/WC
    2- in BIG games he was also CLEAR betetr tahn Basten (basten was like Romario ... not that decisive in BIG SF and FINAL of all games)

13. Don Carlo

Don Carlo Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    You cant really split them as far as who is the best `striker` because both had very similar goal to game ratios, both scored a lot of wonder goals, both were big game players and both were the best strikers of their own era by far.

You can split them as `players` though. Van Basten was a more complete footballer and did everything better than Ronaldo outside of dribbling, running with the ball at pace and foot trickery.

Marco was better in almost every aspect of football than Ronaldo, he was a better overall player and just as good a striker. I watched both men play live countless times and Van Basten was the better player.

COYS repped this.
  14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    NOT true .. in International Ronaldo beat Basten easy in GPG and even much bigger in BIG games

Who said Basten was more complete ? in term of what? He is certainly betterthan R9 in HEADER and that's IT.
    The rest R9 was at least equal to better~

15. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England

i am 43 if have seen ronaldo from age 17 at psv

Jaweirdo repped this.
  16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #16 JamesBH11, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    and did that mean you watched him at his best 96-98 (many full games)?
    If you did, you would not say he was "immobile" or "lazy"- He was close to Maradona (less passing though) running all over the pitch with his team (Barca Inter and Brazil NT)
    - go watch Copa97 and 99 *they had some full games available.

Only 2003 -2007 he was playing exactly like Romarioesque .. much less running and stay closer to the box. \

==========================================
    As I said, I do not care if you "prefer" Van Basten's style (more European) than say R9.
    But your REASON *lazy, less complete and SAME GPG (than Basten) all are NOT TRUE

17. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i never said he had same gpg ratio but............

when van basten played in italy his gpg ratio is astonishing..

highly defensive competition it was back thenwith simply put the best defenders in the world..

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #18 JamesBH11, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    Again, I do not know how you rate 124goals/201games (0.6) is astonishing? (very good yes, but not "out of this world a la "il fenomeno")

Understood Serie A 80-90 were difficult but look at other "great" and they were NOT even main striker:
    1- Zico spent (1.5 season) in SerieA (even before Basten time = more difficult) and he got 0.65 even higher than Basten!
    2- Platini in SerieA 103goals/222games = 0.58 very clsoe to Basten)

3- Ronaldo at his best was 0.9+ (nearly 1GPG) and even we AVERAGE his whole career, it was 0,68 still better than Basten there

S1na repped this.
  19. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Whether one likes to call it 'astonishing' is subjective, but of the top 100 highest goalscorers in Serie A history only 6 players have a better ratio as him. Nordahl, Boffi, Nyers, Hansen, Schiavio, J. Charles.
    All six are players of the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s (John Charles also played three years in the 1960s but the bulk of his goals, and highest ratios, are from the 1950s). I'd say it is not too bad.
    Of course, MvB his career and goal-production was cut short at the age of 27/28 (a prime-age for the striker/CF position), but this is 'compensated' too by the frequent injuries which prevents someone from hitting top physical shape, form and/or rhythm.
    Look at what happened with Robben and Van Persie when they managed to stay injury free for more than a year. That's a major boost for managing season-cycles and fitness.

It's also not like that Ronaldo has a much better ratio, in a era where the GPG-ratio in Serie A was already a fair bit higher. For example, in 1991-92 (when it was already improving) the GPG was 2.27, and 36% of all matches ended in a draw. By 1997-98 it was 2.75 GPG, with 28% of the games ending in a draw.

20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    First, I already AGREE SerieA 80-90 were more difficult, BUT I also PROVED guys liek Platini and Zico (even with a low team) could do as GOOD as Basten = NOT out of this world. (and they were NOT striker)

One had to DIVIDE SerieA (like you SPOT ON) from 82-89, and 90-99 as two different time zone. No wonder Basten (came back form injuries) and did great in 92 with 25goals/31games as his best ever seaosn in STATS (just like R9 in 98)

One can call it "astonishing" (fine) but how you want to call Ronaldo in Liga 97 or Pele in Brazil 60's ? Beyond astonishing?
    ================================================

I said many times, I rated 5 best striker/CF of all time Eusebio, Muller, Basten, Romario and Ronaldo in historical order .... (meaning they were all great in their own talent)

However, if one look CLOSE and in DEPTH ANALYSIS, only Ronaldo and Muller would stick out in that best 5 , in term of big games, and in different situations (tourney, teams)

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Correction: Schiavio and Charles have the same ratio as MvB (two decimal), not better/worse as him.

All the rest I said is correct (also that J. Charles established his ratio in the 1950s).

One can call it astonishing or not astonishing but it is not bad.

Maybe you like this video I made:

S1na, msioux75, Don Carlo and 1 other person repped this.
  22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes Marco delivered a great Euro 88 (2nd best all time after Platini 84) - I love him in that tourney.
    his 92 Serie A was also great ... comeback

23. Don Carlo

Don Carlo Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Brilliant vid, I enjoyed this very much. MVB was as smooth as silk and had such wonderful control and technique for a big man.

You should do more of these videos of MVB because there is none on youtube at all. Let the younger generation see that Van Basten wasn't just one of the best strikers ever, he was one of the best players ever also.

24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes thanks. On the same dailymotion channel I also uploaded a few other videos, incl. the England 1988 match and an assist/plays compilation at the European Cup. But I have for some time in my mind to make one for the national team as well, will do someday.

Liked this game very much too.

A pity that the goal at 3:30 was disallowed for pushing, otherwise he would have scored 5 goals in one UCL match. Liked too how he himself set up the attack & goal at 8:35.

I saw an interesting question and answer lately in an interview:

"
    In the Italian competition you have been a big prey for a long time, hunted down by many defenders.

Van Basten: 'There have been incredibly fierce plays against me. A lot worse even as in past years. I am a reasonably gifted player. Problem is though that I play quite advanced, thus close towards the goal. That is where different laws apply, other norms. Referees and linesmen permit a lot more over there. Moments existed indeed, where I thought they went way too far out of the lines. With as consequence that I bite off [sic]. Oh, slapping... That is way too exaggerated too much in the Netherlands. I don't want to justify what I do, but certain reporters have reacted too excessive.'
    Laughs: 'In any case I have survived everything.'
    "
    http://resolver.kb.nl/resolve?urn=ddd:010963087:mpeg21:a0105

Jaweirdo and Don Carlo repped this.
  25. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Ronaldo and Romario were better than Van Basten, though Basten was also phenomenal. Nevertheless, Cruyff himself said that Romario was the best player he has ever coached, and he coached Van Basten. Fabio Capello said that Ronaldo was the most talented player he has ever coached, and he also coached Van Basten.