Van basten`s best games? (Hate to start a thread over this)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by ko242, Dec 18, 2018.

1. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    I am currently doing some research on george weah and marco van basten. In particular i was wandering if anyone could give me some of van basten`s best performances at club level. performances against better teams would be preferred. not teams fighting for relegation or playing on no name leagues in other countries.

didn`t want to start a thread over this but i didn`t know where else to post such a question

2. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

UEFA Cup winners Cup final
    One of the most impressive dribbling performances I’ve seen from a striker.he was pretty much outstanding throughout the tournament aswell

He scored 6 goals in a single match here.final score was 9-0 against Sparta Rotterdam,only the match highlights are available
    Starts at 1:40 for MVBs highlights

If think the MvB of his last few seasons for Ajax can match weah in terms of all round play,athleticism and he was a also complete and prolific goalscorer(unlike weah)
    For Milan I’d say weah looked like a more dominant all round threat while Van Basten still remains a greater goal scorer by a light year and of course he played in a much more defensive league

We know it is hard enough for players in eredivisie to gain recognition in terms of individual awards
    However What Van Basten did in 1986/87 despite only finishing 8th in the BD rivals the best level of R9
    R9 96/97 who may of scored a bit more solo goals
    But Van basten also scored solo goals,bicycle kicks,diving headers,leaping headers,long range efforts,close range finishes etc
    his all round play was also of a very high standard (being very adequate at crossing for example)

Having said all the above George Weah was a total beast in his prime which unfortunately was very short
    94-96 give or take a few years.
    Having a short prime isn’t his only problem but also his lack of goals even though it must be said he was a scorer of great technical goals for sure
    I think although I’m no expert his role was similar to Mario mandzukic like a support striker so maybe a goals comparison isn’t entirely fair on weah

Without a shadow of a doubt this would be his signature performance for PSG against Bayern Munich in the champions league in 1994/95

3. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Basten is one of my favourite player and probably the most complete striker that existed alongside Ronaldo9. Too bad he retired in his peak(similar to Bjorn Borg).

ko242 repped this.
  4. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    #4 wm442433, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    As for Borg, it was more in the head, or his choice in the end. Basten did not chose to be totally unable to play anymore.
    both were not at their peak anymore.

carlito86 repped this.
  5. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated. Currently, I'm on PSG for weah. I was going to start with Van Basten from 88/89 but because of your input I'll start from 86. I'll be busy for about 2-3 weeks

carlito86 repped this.
  6. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They retired at a very young age and hence I brought up the comparison.

wm442433 repped this.