Vai Logo! The Andreas Pereira Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather be entertained than watch Matic or Fellaini ******** about on the field

2. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    It might not be one to blood against City or Liverpool but against a bunker it's plenty. Fred was signed as a defensively disciplined 8, we've seen WC Pogba at work so we know he can do it. AP would need to avoid switching off, but I want to see that midfield outside of friendlies in the US.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fortunate to have Carrick as a coach - Pereira

www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11448760/andreas-pereira-praises-manchester-united-coach-michael-carrick

That's another United player in the last year or so who has praised Carrick's work with them. He's got the knowledge, we know that, but he obviously seems to have the right touch in terms of how to deal with players.
    Curious to see how far he can go as a coach/manager, but I wouldn't bet against him going all the way and becoming manager at Prem level someday.
    As far as AP goes, there's really no reason we couldn't see him play in the holding role vs lower quality teams offensively/the ones who bunker. Matic and his defensive qualities are rarely needed in those type of games and therefore, I'd have absolutely no issue seeing AP (or Herrera) playing as our 6 in those games, since passing abilities and creativity are what's needed then.

4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So the same as with Matic out there? Cool.

5. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think hes right.

Not to say Pogba cant do both.

benni... repped this.
  6. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He can read defensively better than all of them. That does not mean he is quicker, better on the ball, etc... call a spade a spade.

look at squawka between Matic/Pogba/Herrera/Fred/Pereira for Aerial duels/Interceptions/Blocks/Clearances/Tackles won. Matic leads in all categories.

Attached Files:

7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    First off, I was being hyperbolic. Sort of.

Secondly, of course he leads in defense categories. He's the only one of the guys you listed that play a defensive role. AP played as a winger last season for ********s sake.

Third, you listed totals which are skewed in his favor given he played so many minutes. Switch that to per 90 and Herrera beats him in all categories besides aerial duels. So Matic isn't the best defensive midfielder on the team if you look at the stats.

So your argument kind of collapses when you make a fair comparison.

johno and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  8. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    So you are telling me that out of the midfielders you mentioned they are better defensively than Matic. Ok.

9. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    1) he plays a defensive role because he understands the game better defensively for United. Period.
    2) Go take an average and tell me who is a better defender. If you want get some stats from the best defensive midfielders that play his role 6's/8's.

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As I said, Herrera has better defensive stats then Matic from last season. That's not to say Herrera is an excellent defensive player, it's more of a reflection of how bad Matic actually is at his role. If I would have shown stats on ball distribution and turnovers it only looks worse for him. 20180726_073257.jpg

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #86 Ashur, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Another very good display from AP yesterday. Best part is that I really like how he grew into the game in the 2nd half, after a relatively pedestrian first.
    As previously mentioned, would not call him a surprise but merely a confirmation. Arguably been the best performer so far for United on the balance of the 3 games. And in the context of making a serious case for a role in the upcoming season from the fringe players, he's been the better one by far.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I was very impressed with Andreas' close control in the RM game as they pressed. I really hope we add him as a midfield option. He seems like a Herrera like guy that depending on the situation can be used in all 3 midfield positions.

jnielsen repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, he's more complete than Herrera and in short order could be one of the most players (not just midfielders) we have. His versatility is off the charts and the way he completely took on playing the holding role, following up on what Mourinho started last summer, speaks volume...

15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    AP has more playmaking in him as a 10 or a DLP while Ander has more DM and box to box 8 work rate if I had to pin it down but they are both team guys doing whatever the coach asks and that is a beautiful thing.

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure about his pressing or tackling and positional play. From an effort and talent standpoint, he should be playing 30 games or more this year. But we have a manager who loves Fellaini so....

jeff070, Deadtigers and benni... repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AP may be "naturally" a playmaker, but it's clear that he can effectively play as a 10/playmaker, B2B or holding mid. And last season with Valencia, Marcelino played him wide on both sides of a traditional 4-4-2.
    Herrera is versatile as well, but in that department, he's not on AP's level potentially. We also have to keep in mind that there's a pretty solid age/experience gap (6-7yrs) between both players. Nurtured and developed properly, AP can really become a top notch player.
    Not to take anything away from Herrera, but I think AP to be a notch above when it's all said and done. And depending on who the next manager will be, could be one of the major beneficiaries. Mourinho may have given him a real break into the first team, but he's likely to really blossom for the next guy...

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AP by the numbers vs Leicester:
    - 58 passes
    - 91% pass accuracy
    - Gained possession 11x
    - 4 clearances
    - 3 tackles won
    - 3 interceptions

Not bad, not bad at all. And I believe there's more to come the more he learns about the position and gains a better understanding with his midfield partners.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    His biggest handicap is his versatility. Just in the sense that it will be hard to get a feel as he will be playing between 8 and 6 with different partners so he will have to work to find his best place but he has won Mou over which is a start.

20. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @jeff070 I missed the match, how did this go?

benni... repped this.
  21. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    The link up with the ball at times was sublime. Quick touches, back heel, over the player between each other. We missed that stuff from United.

Pereira did well defensively, kept possession tidy and played Fred and Pogba through. I gotta give it to him, he got stuck, tried to read the game, won a lot of the balls in a system that invited pressure.

I was disappointed of how Maddison was found through the middle though as well. Yes he had a lot of interceptions but Leicester had a lot of the ball and found Maddison countless times.

That is why I thought Fred was the weak link defensively. Even if he is marking he is not effective, and commits silly fouls. The angles of his pressure were not on point and when he presses, it's like he is the only doing it with Pogba and Pereira staying back.

I would say very good first game in a 6 against an EPL side. Keep him in there and as he plays against better 10's and better attacking players, we'll see how he reacts.

Futbol_Head repped this.
  22. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Actually, Pereira was well north of "not bad at all". He was outstanding in the role, one very few of us imagined him performing ably in at this time last year. And considering it was his first EPL start for United, and against a pesky Leicester City side, it boggled the mind that he played with so much ease, yet with requisite intensity and composure.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    #99 Naboomagnoli, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    An entire article of padding around one sentence.

Well, that's Ashur's obit taken care of...

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:
    Don't really see how his versatility would be a hindrance, for starters. But also, Mourinho does not appear to have showed any inclination to play him anywhere else than at the holding role so far.
    He actually could fill in anywhere else in midfield, but we have no idea if Mourinho plans on using him there, given we have other options available, couple with the fact that he simply hasn't done so, so far.