Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would go a long in explaining his performance from yesterday. But you have to wonder when it will stop also? That recent injury crisis has been non stop and merciless.
    Really hope that it's not too serious and Martial will be able to return soon, but let's not rush anything anymore either. He's got to be no less than fully fit and 100%. Let's give the youngsters a shot here.

2. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ole risking these guys future trying to secure his?

Not a fan of this either.

3. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Martial getting hammered today by fans. That video of him in warm up is a poor showing indeed.

Too much sulking and pre madonna like behavior in this squad.

4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I like Martial and he has the most potential of any of our forwards. But this motivation problem with him is getting old.

5. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Post the video.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1131 Ashur, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Maybe it's prima donna behavior, perhaps it's something else we're not privy to. It was telling that Ole did not choose to turn to him when we needed a spark in attack and decided instead to go with Sanchez. Which considering what we know, was utterly bizarre and made no sense at all.
    Martial has a tendency to sulk and be very "passive", even lethargic almost at times and maybe Ole is working on trying to change that side of his personality and approach to the game.
    It definitely would not be the worst thing for him to have some genuine competition though, whether it's from an Academy product or someone brought in from the outside, to challenge him and make him aware that his place on the team is not something he should take for granted.

7. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    He has less potential than both Greenwood and Rashford. He's 23 years old, turning 24 next year. The time to talk about Martial as 'potential' is winding down. He is out of all major growth and development stages as a player.

His career trajectory is now that of a Ben Arfa/Depay/Zaha. Talented, but will end up at a club where consistent effort is not required.

Martial came to this club with one tool in his toolbox. He still only has one tool in that toolbox.

Woodward made a Sanchez-level blunder by giving him a 250K/wk contract. Because of that, if we are serious about rebuilding, then we will look to offload him in the next 18 months.

Compare Martial to Sterling -
    Year - - - - - Martial - - - - - Sterling
    15/16 17/9 11/10
    16/17 8/8 10/20
    17/18 11/9 23/17
    18/19 12/3 23/17

One player applied himself to improve. The other player has squandered his ability and now relies on his one trick that is a known quantity. Everyone knows what the boy is going to try the second he gets the ball.

I called this shit happening with his career a long time ago. Talented only stays talented with application and effort. Unfortunately, Martial has permanently missed the top class boat.

It's also extremely relevant to note about Martial that his most impressive year came when we played our most boring and turgid football - and had our lowest scoring season in PL history. He is only good from a standstill. He does not fit the ethos of this club. I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone this summer, and I'd be very surprised to see him still here come the 20/21 season.

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Took the bait

9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    At this point I have no attachment to any player in this squad. They can all ******** off.

Screenshot_20190429-104437_Twitter.jpg

J'can, MizzouMUFC, JC7rox and 1 other person repped this.
  10. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Currently the club has no ethos. I would argue that he does in fact maintain the club’s ethos, at least from what we see on the field. These players lack urgency and tenacity. That goes down to not having a leader in the dressing room. And not having a real leader in management for a while.

There is a culture at the club currently that is not what us fans know as Manchester United. This issue is from the top to the bottom. And I am not sure that Ole is the answer but I really want to be wrong.

Coasting into May and no DoF.

At this point, Manchester United is just a name, a brand. It doesn’t mean anything else.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ole at the very least will try his damndest to bring back those ethos to the team. And if he fails, it will be because of his ability as a coach (or lack thereof incidentally) and not because he does not know what it takes, unlike the previous managers we've had at the club.
    And as it's been stated too many times to count now, if he gets the help he needs, there is every reason to believe he will have a solid chance to succeed. It's all up to Woodward to hopefully make that happen this summer, whether it's in player movement but also the appointment of a DoF.

incighte repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martial has to start repaying the faith placed in him by the club.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/anthony-martial-must-start-repay-16196032

Eager to see what Ole will try to work with him in order to try to get the best out of him. He's one of the few players who never really showed any kind of sustained form since he took over.
    Perhaps a change in position could be in the cards (playing him in a more central role, part of a front 2?). I do believe though, as mentioned before, that some competition, some real competition ie not him becoming an afterthought like he was under Mourinho but him being first choice yet have someone push and challenge, ready to take his place if he doesn't produce. That could be beneficial to him in the long run.
    But it is clear that having signed that big contract, he's got to start justifying it.

13. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1125512195264143365 is not a valid tweet id

It's from Custis, so it may have some weight. Probably not surprising either, in light of recent reports but either way, if we get rid of so much talent, we better use any incoming funds to properly replace those guys also

15. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    I believe it. I'd ship him out, too.

The audacity to do what he did is pretty telling in and of itself.

My original prediction was that it'd take 18 months for him to go the way of the Depay. Looks like he actually might have exceeded expectations for once.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    End of the day, no one is bigger than the club and no one is irreplaceable. So just like Pogba or even Dave, a part of me will be sad to see Martial go. Still believe that the video that has been making the rounds, does not have the full context of what the situation was there. But at the same time, can't deny that there are issues related to his character and attitude. And if he's got to be moved on, then so be it.
    But as noted previously, that's a lot of (potential) talent we are ready to let go and one way or another, it must be replaced. Especially since it's clear we'll have massive funds to do so. Martial is another player who will net us 60-70mil Pounds at a minimum, should we decided to sell. Don't care what we have or what is possibly coming up, but letting go of Martial, Pogba and Dave in one fell swoop, puts us behind teams like Everton, Wolves or possibly even Watford, unless they are all replaced with comparable players (or close to them, at least). Heart, attitude and desire may be important, but it all starts with talent as well. That will never change...

jnielsen repped this.
  17. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Meh. Our club is in the shit. I wanted Martial to be successful but even if he stayed and improved his “attitude,” I do not think the situation at United is going to breed World Class players. There is a lot that has to change. The players will get all the guff now that Mou is gone, but what about the new staff has totally switched off the momentum? What about the dragging ass to appoint someone to take care of football affairs? The players deserve their criticism but they are the easiest targets. I think Ole and the staff deserve a lot of stick as well.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having thought about it since the report above came out, I don't believe Martial will end up leaving this summer. He'll be given another chance this coming season and if Ole and the club do not see the type of progress they are looking for from him, then he will be sold.
    The club just offered him a huge contract: it makes absolutely no sense for them to sell him off almost immediately. There are issues obviously but what does it say about our club and Ole in particular, if he won't try to work with the guy, try to have a hand in improving him and help him get to the level he is expected to reach (especially when the club has made a huge commitment on the guy).
    Also, there is a real possibility we are about to lose 2 of our biggest talents on the team (3 if we include Herrera). It's hard to imagine us just letting go of another in Martial as well. There may come a time when we will move to sell him, but I'd be very surprised if it was this summer.

19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What does it say about Martial that he'd have been cast aside by 3 managers (Ole, Jose and Deschamps)?

incighte repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said that there aren't issues with Martial, but I am saying that the talent is there and undeniable. And that moving him now does not seem practical after just giving him a new contract.
    You can say that Martial has been cast aside by 3 managers (hugely debatable except for Mourinho IMO) but how about the ones he was successful under, be it Jardim or van Gaal? He lost his place in the French setup, primarily as a result of his issues at United under Mourinho (and because of the depth of talent within the French squad). Lest we forget, he was about to be recalled this season by Deschamps.
    As far as Ole goes, he just started working with the guy: don't deny there may be issues but a good manager at least try to sort things out with players. And as such (and because of the reasons explained previously), I think that Ole will give it another go with him. The end result may still be the same, but he has to try at least, which is what I believe he will do..

21. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The slight against him at Monaco before he joined was a bit of an attitude problem too.

benni... repped this.
  22. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If the rumours are true about Martial and he is one of the “bad apples” in the changing room then the odd flash of talent wont compensate for that. That s&@t is cancerous.

MizzouMUFC and benni... repped this.
  23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Supposedly after Mou wanted Martial gone last summer owing to attitude, Ole now wants him gone this summer for the same reason.

However he is reportedly Joel Glazers favourite player - so ain't gonna happen;

"The report claims that Martial is his favourite player at the club and he views the France international as United’s answer to Pele."

:)

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/14/joel...nchester-united-star-anthony-martial-9540233/

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm a fan of Martial, but he's not good enough to be a diva.

jeff070 and Anonymous_United repped this.
  25. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am a big supporter of Martial. I feel he needs some major guidance. A guy like LvG was good for him. I don’t know if Ole has that.

The youth culture at the club currently needs to be checked.

jeff070 repped this.