Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Martial is among the league's deadliest strikers.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-news-anthony-martial-15591892

Thanks to him, United at least have a forward in the top 10 in goals scored. But that goals per minute ratio stat, is very telling. As mentioned previously, he's taken his game to the next level this season.
    Being that we're roughly halfway thru the season, I'd like to see him break the 20 total mark. Add in a handful of assists and it will be an very good season for him. One he can build off going into the final year of his contract, to parlay into the deal he wants (and deserves)

2. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can hardly wait for when Jose takes credit for Martial in a few years. :cool:

3. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    This argument lives in a house of straw, dude.

Rashford - 5
    Lingard - 2
    Pogba - 6
    Sanchez - 2
    Lukaku - 2
    Martial - 0

Martial is our best tight space dribbler. He is our best finisher 10-20 yards from goal. He needs to add more types of off the ball runs to his game if he is ever going to be a provider of many assists. He will get them here and there because of his proximity to the box and involvement in our build up - but he needs to add to his game to compete with his teammates in terms of providing.

4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can cherry pick stats to suit my argument too.

Last year, Martial got 13 As in all comps for United versus 8 for Rashford.

benni... repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1080 Ashur, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Martial's game is primed to rake in and provide tons of assists. His bread and butter is making runs at the edge of the box and either shoot if he finds himself in a good position or cut back for a teammate in a more optimal position. He's proven it last season and an argument can definitely be made that his assist tally has gone down because our attack lacked any sort of organized patterns. The overall movement upfront was awful as well. WIth these issues about to seriously improve, it stands to reason that his assists will improve significantly as well. Not something I'm worried about in the least when it comes to him or his game tbh. Martial is very unselfish.

6. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Last year Martial, nor Rashford, put up either of those numbers.

Both players had 9 assists for Manchester United last year.

LMFAO.

Edit:

Those stats weren't cherry picked. Those stats were the cumulative effort of our entire attacking unit this season. That's literally the opposite of cherry picking. That's the entire data set, you numpty.

7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In all competitions for United.
    http://www.espnfc.com/player/181140/anthony-martial?season=2017

Taking 1 year to demonstrate a trend when other years demonstrate a different trend is cherry picking.

MizzouMUFC and benni... repped this.
  8. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Hey, my dude....

We don't count preseason friendlies or competitions - that's ********ing lame shit. Try using Transfermarkt from now on instead of ESPNFC... Talk about a trash bag for a source. Official comp's only. LMAO.

Martial has three assists in all OFFICIAL* competitions dating back to last Christmas for Manchester United. As a young player whose game is growing and changing - I'd say a consecutive 12 month period of time where he gathers an assist every four months is as good of an indicator as any that Martial doesn't routinely provide for his teammates.

Pogba, in that time has 12. Rashford has 7. Lingard has 5. Sanchez has 7. Lukaku has 7.

Martial has the fewest - with 3.

*I literally never thought I'd have to clarify to someone that preseason stats don't count.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martial's stats breakdown since coming to United:

2015-16: 11 goals - 4 assists (Prem), 2 - 0 (CL), 2 - 4 (FA Cup), 1 - 0 (EFL)
    2016-17: 4 - 6 (Prem), 1- 0 (EL), 1 - 2 (FA), 2 - 0 (EFL)
    2017-18: 9 - 5 (Prem), 1 - 2 (CL), 0 - 0 (FA), 1 - 0 (EFL)
    2018-19 so far: 8 - 0 (Prem), 1 - 0 (CL)

As stated previously, it stands to reason that his assist tally will increase now that there will likely be a more organized attacking structure around him. Don't think it's a coincidence that his best numbers, assists wise, were under van Gaal. The style of play might have been insipid, but the overall scheme definitely was far more structured and organized than it was under Mourinho.
    As such we can fully expect to see him numbers grow sharply going forward. A nice goal, as mentioned above, would be for him to finish at minimum at 20 - 5 in all remaining comps.

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Actually you're both wrong. The most accurate stat would be chance creation per 90 minutes. That eliminates discrepancy based on who played more minutes and is better than assists because it isn't dependant on other player finishing the chance.

So with that said, and I only looked up stats for last year in the league because I don't care enough to look up more, this was the result...

Martial created 1.89 chances per 90 minutes and Rashford created 1.12 chances per 90 minutes.

Naboomagnoli and JamesA repped this.
  11. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And that's why I love ya Mizzou...lol. The gentleman's way of telling me to ******** off, I'm wrong. ;)

Futbol_Head, Naboomagnoli and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1088 Ashur, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Ole will talk to Martial and Dave to try and convince them to stay at United.

www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11594639/ole-gunnar-solskjaer-to-try-to-talk-to-anthony-martial-and-david-de-gea-into-manchester-united-stay

Talk about dedication and love for the club. Maybe Ole is thinking strategically also: he has made it clear that he wouldn't mind having a crack at the job permanently. And if he does a great job in the next 5mos, it's likely he will be in the convo.
    So why not give it a try with those 2 in particular?

14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    benni... repped this.
  15. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm never one to pay Woodward a compliment but he does deserve credit for keeping a long view with respect to Martial and not overreacting to a foolish manager's whims. Granted we're talking mostly about avoiding a major mistake, but if and when Martial puts ink on a new deal that will be job well done by Woody.

JC7rox and benni... repped this.
  16. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Great news re Martial. Well done, Woody!

Woody’s decision to sack Mourinho, though obvious, deserves more credit than has been given so far. And his decision to hire Ole.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1092 Ashur, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  18. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But it’s a big one. For all those who were about backing the manager, Martial’s departure would have been part of that. Woody took waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to kill that, but sticking to his guns will have paid off if Martial does re-up.

Martial and Rashford can be devastating for years to come.

19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was thinking about this earlier today. If we can lock up a young RW with potential we could have the front 3 locked up for the next 7-8 years. I'm think Bailey, Dembele, or Sancho. With Chong, Greenwood, and Gomes coming into the first team and Jesse still around playing a role. Not too shabby.

20. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  21. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    benni... repped this.
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many outlets, including Skysports, are reporting that Martial is on the verge of signing his contract extension with the club. Should be done by the weekend allegedly.

23. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Great News ... I still rate him over Rashford..

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martial has signed a new contract that ties him down to United for the next 5yrs.

25. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC