Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Or if Mourinho is unable to use our best wingforward, he may not be the manager next summer when Martial will have 2 years on his contract.

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Martial just doesn't show much expression period. it's hard to read him. when does he ever smile?

the most emotion he's shown was his debut goal and maybe the winner at Everton in the FA Cup semi.

i do agree something was off this season though. his dribbling seemed less effective in terms of beating a man like it was last year but i'm not worried about him. as i've said all along, van Gaal didn't break him when he had a mini drought. the kid just turned 20 then and is only just 21. inconsistencies are to be expected

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the relationship between Martial and Jose has turned a corner towards the end of the season for the better and seeing how he doesn't want to leave when he could have pushed for a move this summer, is an excellent sign looking to next season.
    We still haven't seen Martial back to his best as he was the previous season but there were encouraging signs as the season drew to a close. More than anything else, he needs to restore confidence in himself and what he can do. That alone will go a long way in him getting back to his best this coming. Whatever competition he will be facing, he just needs to embrace it, follow Jose's instructions and if he can do that, I have no doubt he will rebound strongly this coming season. He's a difference maker and the team just needs him to play like we've seen him previously.

4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It was a four year deal apparently, runs until June 2019. So next summer he will have one year left (though maybe options to extend etc.).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/anthony-martial/profil/spieler/182877

5. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We have a year option.

6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anthony's facial expressions may have remained the same, but there was a noticeable decline in his commitment in his play this season. Whatever the real root cause, his performance level was a pale shadow of what it was the previous season.

7. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i don't like to gossip on footballers but martial needs to sort things out at home. it's really ugly and it played out all year on social media.

8. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So now does he get his number 9 back?. I wouldn't mind if that will make him score more goals ;)

9. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    That's an even more awkward conversation than when he lost it.

United 16 repped this.
  10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #561 Ashur, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Gutting.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, he could have said it in the language of the club he plays for ;)

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    885524219152416772 is not a valid tweet id

reddevilmike repped this.
  16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Needs to play him more and play him closer to the goal. If Martial had got that ball 30 yds deeper, he would have been fouled and nothing would have come from it.

sdotsom repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose expects more consistency from Martial this season.

www.bbc.com/sport/football/40702312

Martial is clearly a confidence player and should he manage to regain it during preseason, we reasonably can expect good things from him.
    Should the move for Perisic falls thru, it clearly would help him as well in that endeavor...

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    As I bemoaned all last season and as I stated in the Real Madrid thread Martial is not going to be used in a higher position by defensive Mourinho. He either needs to improve his game from deep or he has no place here and should be sold for a better fit.

Gilma1990 and jeff070 repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either way, Martial deserves at least an opportunity to show he can adapt to Jose's demands. And I won't bet that he can't respond accordingly. That being said, if he fails to show marked improvement this season, it will be time to cut bait and move on.
    He should still have significant value to the right candidate, but at least, we will have let him go in the knowledge there simply was no other recourse, having given him legitimate opportunities. I can live with that.

21. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose needs to give him a run of 4/5 consecutive games to build momentum and confidence. If he keeps spot starting him he won't regain his form.

22. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Martial needs to do way more than show up for 1-2 minutes a game for Jose. For better or worse, Mourinho demands hard work from every one of his outfield players on both sides of the ball. But that may not suit Anthony's preferences.

It would be a shame if we have to let Anthony go, but go if he must if he's going to be a bystander for 85 minutes a game.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why for his sake, the hope is that the Perisic move falls thru right sided wing player was always the priority for me anyhow). It's unlikely, should it happens, that Martial will get any extended and consistent run in the team, at least wide left.
    He's got work to do and by no means has arrived yet, but he needs to given some trust that he can get the job done, along with a platform to do so.

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why not play Martial higher up the pitch in a staggered 433 where he can get the ball closer to goal and Miki (at RW) can play a little deeper so we can play to his ball carrying strengths?

Jose, that's why.

25. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    cr7torossi and JC7rox repped this.