V Southampton (Home)

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by blainehammer, Sep 23, 2016.

1. WestHamUtdFC

WestHamUtdFC Member

Aug 15, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Whats Adrian suppose to do? The only way he stops them from scoring is if Tadic completely screws up

2. WestHamUtdFC

WestHamUtdFC Member

Aug 15, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    We're ahead in something... Most goals allowed by any team

3. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I look at the teams we're putting out and it's a mess of ideas. We have two guys who can play as a lone striker, Sakho and Carroll, and neither of them are playing. He's shoehorning Lanzini, Antonio and Payet into the same team when we can only play two of them at any given time.

If we have to play Zaza, we're probably better off pushing Antonio up alongside him and returning to the 4-4-2 diamond that suits our central midfield and has suited our central midfield since Zola was manager. As such, we should reduce the pitch to the same size as the Upton Park pitch. Then you can have Zaza in the middle, Antonio doing the Vaz Te/Valencia role, Payet recast as Downing and then putting Kouyate, Noble and Obiang in the middle. Nordtveit is a busted flush IMO. Then you can bomb the full backs on. It works, the majority of our players get it as we did it effectly under Zola and twice under Allardyce (once to get promotion, once to get us into the top six). 4-2-3-1 is fashionable but it's not necessarily our thing.

This leaves Lanzini on the bench but we need to win games. If they signed Zaza as a lone striker then they've made a mistake. In my view, the most effective lone strikers are guys who can do both sides of a strike partnership; the targetman and the pacy scorer, the creative inside forward and the goalpoacher. If you can't do that, then you need to be somebody who can press intellegently that is either a) a goalscorer with good movement who you only pass to when you play him in or b) a targetman who brings the attacking midfielders into the game. Zaza has all the physical tools to be one of the best forwards around but it's not there between the ears. I was worried it would be a poor signing. Add up Ayew, Edmilson and Zaza's loan fee, we have three players we don't need when we could've got Benteke, who could've led the line and brought other players into the game. Oh well.